Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2008, 07:08 PM

546 posts, read 2,417,735 times

Advertisements

What about a book? Something about your city, her city, your shared interests, etc... Gourmet coffee or tea if she drinks it. Special food items from your area (local bakery, etc.) or a unique houseplant... lots of creative options. I would steer clear of a framed poem. That would creep me out a bit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2008, 11:36 AM

23 posts, read 81,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CMMom View Post
In addition to good manners, attentiveness, and a healthy helping of listening skills, I would say just to pay attention to your overall appearance. Of course, hygiene is a must, but pay attention to the details too (nice fingernails, non-rumpled clothes, decent shoes). Believe me, women pay attention to this stuff. I don't have any idea what your personal style is (e.g., preppy, goth, or anything in between), but just be sure to look like you pay attention to and take pride in your appearance. Fresh breath is a must!!!
This post is not about how to behave, dress or personal hygiene on a first date. Those are common sense things (or at least lets hope they are to the average person) and in reality, shouldn’t be adhered to for just the first date. Meaning you shouldn’t turn into a slob by the third date...haha.

So please, I do not need direction in that category as I’ve got it covered. Aside from being a speck nervous (which I'll hide successfully), I’ll have my stuff taken care of, trust me. I’ve obviously been on many first dates in my life, only I didn’t care as much about the others in the past and I didn’t bring anything but myself to those dates. If I didn’t bring anything on this particular date, it certainly wouldn’t mean that I “didn’t care”, I just wanted to make her smile when first seeing her and didn’t wanna over do it. I posted this because I was just wondering what other people had done.

And I’m beginning to see the results varied widely!..lol.

Old 08-05-2008, 04:28 PM

2,240 posts, read 5,860,047 times
My point was just that *you* and the way you present yourself is much more important on a first date than any gift you could give. The thing that set my now-husband apart from other first dates was the way he listened, and the fact that he called afterward when he said he would. No mindgames. That was much more memorable than any details of the date itself. That's all...didn't mean to offend!

Old 08-05-2008, 04:33 PM

658 posts, read 831,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3pointone4 View Post
I was wondering what, if anything, should a guy bring on a first date?
You bring a clean, neutral-smelling man with a clean smile, clean breath and a clean vehicle, regardless of condition.

Old 08-05-2008, 05:08 PM

2 posts, read 4,514 times
Give her some ham from the local grocery store.. say about 2 pounds worth. It will be funny and also she will have something to eat later.... :-)))

Old 08-07-2008, 12:47 AM

5,412 posts, read 15,923,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3pointone4 View Post
The two comments above are not exactly helpful. I have a pretty good sense of humor, and it's great that others do to, but lets please leave the jokes for another post. This topic actually kinda matters to me.
We're now 9 pages into the thread. Expect some silly responses by now.

Old 08-07-2008, 10:37 AM

7 posts, read 20,196 times
I would find out her favorite candy and favorite flower. Find a small wicker basket, preferably with a lid or cover. Break off the flower petals and place them in the basket. In the middle of this place her favorite candy and right above it place a small card with a one line statement that sums up your day together. Reference a highlight of the day so she knows you are paying attention to the details. Tie a ribbon on it to hold it together and you have a nice keepsake that she can treasure long after the flowers have wilted and the candy is eaten. Many women save precious momentos so don't be surprised if she tucks it away and shows it to you later in the course of your relationship. Try not to buy anything ready made. It means much more if you assemble it yourself and pay special attention to things you know she likes.

Old 08-07-2008, 10:40 AM

8,002 posts, read 18,607,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beowulf7 View Post
We're now 9 pages into the thread. Expect some silly responses by now.
No, not here wolfie!

Why does he have to bring anything on a first date? I would say first date, just show up (on time)!

Old 08-07-2008, 11:01 AM

546 posts, read 2,417,735 times
By now I feel a little invested in this date! When is it? What did you decide to bring? Don't leave us hanging!

Old 08-07-2008, 11:41 AM

5,412 posts, read 15,923,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MonaLisaVito View Post
No, not here wolfie!

Why does he have to bring anything on a first date? I would say first date, just show up (on time)!
Damn, just as I was just going to suggest to the guy to bring his wife on the first date.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships