Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-30-2008, 11:43 AM

42,831 posts, read 88,221,103 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrstewart View Post
Let's update the no-no conversation topics...

-religion
-politics
-salary
-IQ scores

OK, we already know where you blow steam about one! How'bout the other three?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2008, 11:47 AM

89 posts, read 303,477 times
nope, im a genius and the ladies love me

Old 11-30-2008, 11:50 AM

13,784 posts, read 26,267,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
OK, we already know where you blow steam about one! How'bout the other three?
hehehe!!! I thought I could pull one over on ya'!!

Old 11-30-2008, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by artsyguy View Post
Hi

Can we all please get along and be best friends please?

P.S. Bragging is annoying.
Do you remember the thread about a guy making 200k and CPG's response about his Oyster yacht?? That was priceless!!

Old 11-30-2008, 01:17 PM

25,386 posts, read 35,572,368 times
Quote:
Do you remember the thread about a guy making 200k and CPG's response about his Oyster yacht?? That was priceless!!
Are you going to keep those of us who didn't read it in suspense?

Old 11-30-2008, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
Are you going to keep those of us who didn't read it in suspense?
I will try to find it...he cracks me up!!!

Old 11-30-2008, 01:25 PM

25,386 posts, read 35,572,368 times
Quote:
Gosh, Ivory...does that mean I should not find a way to casually mention how much money my husband and I made last year while at a cocktail party?? You are such a party pooper

Let's update the no-no conversation topics...

-religion
-politics
-salary
-IQ scores

You can mention those things all you want but don't be surprised when you're brushed off . Some things just dont' make for light conversation.

I can add not talking about my youngest daughter in front of other moms to that list. They don't want to hear your kid is a genius either

Moms are another topic. When my youngest was 1 she climbed to the top of the monkey bars at the park and was just standing there (standing on top holding on to nothing). One of the other moms started to panic and I was afraid if she upset my daughter she'd fall so, just to reassure her, I told her that my daughter had been climbing and walking since she was 9 months old (meaning to reassure her that she had good balance and wasn't going to fall). She shouted "Well, my daughter walked at 8 months and stomped off My daughter climbed down on her own. She was my monkey child. One of her first words was "Stuck", as in she was stuck

Yeah, add anything your kid does early to that list too. Some things just aren't topics for social gatherings. They bring out the worst in people.

I don't talk about education, income or my daughter's abilities. I can't even talk about my other daughter's struggles. There's sure to be a mom there with a kid worse off than mine. It appears to be a competition no matter what your kid does.

Old 11-30-2008, 01:35 PM

Oh, believe me, I know about the kids topics...truthfully, there are times when I find someone talking about their children being gifted as tacky but it usually comes from the same people I know who have kids that have the same personality traits as a serial killer My children are also in the accelerated/gifted classes blah, blah, blah, but that never comes up because people do not like to hear it and it is just not that fun to talk about!

My SIL brags incessantly about her son being on the travel soccer team and last year he did not make the team...everyone knew he did not make the cut but she told everyone he decided not to play that season

I am going to try to find the post by CPG...you will cry from laughter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
You can mention those things all you want but don't be surprised when you're brushed off . Some things just dont' make for light conversation.

I can add not talking about my youngest daughter in front of other moms to that list. They don't want to hear your kid is a genius either

Moms are another topic. When my youngest was 1 she climbed to the top of the monkey bars at the park and was just standing there (standing on top holding on to nothing). One of the other moms started to panic and I was afraid if she upset my daughter she'd fall so, just to reassure her, I told her that my daughter had been climbing and walking since she was 9 months old (meaning to reassure her that she had good balance and wasn't going to fall). She shouted "Well, my daughter walked at 8 months and stomped off My daughter climbed down on her own. She was my monkey child. One of her first words was "Stuck", as in she was stuck

Yeah, add anything your kid does early to that list too. Some things just aren't topics for social gatherings. They bring out the worst in people.

I don't talk about education, income or my daughter's abilities. I can't even talk about my other daughter's struggles. There's sure to be a mom there with a kid worse off than mine. It appears to be a competition no matter what your kid does.

Old 11-30-2008, 02:54 PM

11,169 posts, read 10,657,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by She_Was_A_Phoenix View Post
JeepGirl118,

What I perceive here is that you have used indirect wording in an attempt to insult me so that you can later claim that your statements were not personal attacks. I can see right through that. I know that the intention to insult was there.

Do you really believe that it is socially acceptable and ethically justifiable to say all of the following things simply because I mentioned my intelligence level:

A. Insinuate that I cannot cope with stress.
B. Claim that I am so boring as to be totally intolerable to others.
C. Tell me that I am out of touch with reality.
D. Tell me that I am no fun.
E. Call me arrogant.
F. Accuse me of being a fringe religious nut.
G. Question my very humanity with a statement about how I seem robotic.

H. Are you really sure that it is morally okay to suggest to a person that they should consider suicide to be an option in the event that they are so boring that others don't value their company?

Do you seriously believe that it is ethically okay to tell ANYONE that they should consider SUICIDE to be an option???

JeepGirl118, that was wrong.

It wasn't just wrong. It was VERY wrong.

Statements that encourage others to consider suicide as an option have been known to result in the DEATH of sensitive individuals. If you said that to someone with a mental disorder for instance, and they were to kill themselves, YOU could end up being investigated for that! Even if you were not convicted, the media would surely have a field day. Your face would be all over the internet - you would forever be known as the girl who caused a death. Would your customers still buy from you then?

What would become of you?
I am doubting your intelligence and you are way too hyper-sensitive. Ease up, relax, breathe, for once.

Laments terms in regard to the "razor." It's a statement similar to, "I'd rather eat a gun rather than be stuck listening to a brainiac that feels above all."

Don't even go there shaking your finger at me about suicide when you read the whole entire sentence wrong to begin with.

FYI. . . I will state my opinions without worrying about stepping on your toes. Yes, I called you boring, repetitive, and dulldrum. That about sums it up. Welcome to CD.

Old 11-30-2008, 04:12 PM

24,832 posts, read 37,378,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artsyguy View Post
Hi

Can we all please get along and be best friends please?

P.S. Bragging is annoying.
It will vary as to what is bragging. If someone posts about their kids, it could be bragging to someone who has wanted them too. It just all all in the view of the reader.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships