Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2008, 12:36 PM

52,222 posts, read 52,648,334 times

Advertisements

So what exactly is a mid life crisis?

Is it the classic thing where a guy gets a sports car dumps his wife and gets a young chickie??

Or can it be simpler?

I'm near 40 and I'm wondering if I'm having a mini mid life crisis. I want to change jobs, I want to move to another state. I'm changing my outlook on life such as what is becoming more important to me.

I used to be career driven, you know, move up the ladder make more money trying to be the best, blah blah blah.

It seems like all I want to do is to simplify my life. Cook good meals, sit out on my patio, have a couple of drinks, listen to some good music.

I don't care about money as much anymore.

Is this a mid life crisis or just normal growth?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2008, 12:42 PM

355 posts, read 1,376,465 times
I think its normal growth. It would probably be a mid life crisis is you were panicking about running out of time, regretting your life, seeing no point to living, not knowing where you are headed. But im not sure

Old 09-27-2008, 12:58 PM

11,395 posts, read 24,445,382 times
It's not bad to want to re-evaluate. Why not make a list of what you'd like to change, do the pro's and con's thing? Spend some time trying to get to the essentials of what makes you happy and what you want out of life.

Then check with Mrs. Chow, give it a few months, and make the changes you guys can live with long term.

I did the same thing without the list. Just did it. Worked out pretty well because my gut feeling was right on. But I'm a little impulsive and unencumbered anyway.

Old 09-27-2008, 02:04 PM

4,273 posts, read 15,251,178 times
I had a "mid-life crisis" at 29. I came to the realization, "What the heck am I doing with my life? I'm almost 30, no job, no prospects. I have a great husband who is supportive in every way possible, take advanage of this you dope!" So I went back to school, found a great job and realized that having a mid-life crisis was the best thing that ever happened to me.

Old 09-27-2008, 03:03 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,144,437 times
Yep, that's a mid-life crisis. But is it really a bad thing?

By that, I don't mean have an affair or buy a motorcycle (By the way, the Harley Davidson used to be the symbol of freedom. Now it's emblematic of an accountant on his weekend). But I've seen way too many guys who allowed their lives to be dictated by their work, rather than take pleasure in their friends, their families and their avocations. Suddenly, they wake up at age 50, see their lives slipping away, and desperately try to make up for lost time. What's more, women are just as capable of it as men, so don't think you need a Y chromosome to have one.

But your life is not your work. Your life is the memories you leave with others and the joys you experience. It is less the big events but the kaleidoscope of little memories--the laughter of your children at the dinner table, picking blackberries with your wife on a romantic getaway, a cup of coffee enjoyed in the cockpit of your sailboat anchored in a foggy cove, the pleasure of friends.

So maybe the Mid-Life crisis should really be thought of as the Mid-Life Reality Check. You're more than halfway through your biblical threescore and ten, so you now get to define what the rest of your life should be wife, the opinions of parents, colleagues and others be damned. The only people you are responsible to are the ones that depend on you for their daily existence.

Old 09-27-2008, 05:06 PM

16,224 posts, read 25,660,682 times
If you think your going through a mid life crisis, then you are going through it the right way! I mean, cooking, sitting on your patio with a drink in hand, listening to good tunes, versus hanging out all night with strange women, yada, yada, yada. Good for you! Relax, enjoy life. It sounds like you are content.

Old 09-27-2008, 05:14 PM

52,222 posts, read 52,648,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yankeegirl313 View Post
If you think your going through a mid life crisis, then you are going through it the right way! I mean, cooking, sitting on your patio with a drink in hand, listening to good tunes, versus hanging out all night with strange women, yada, yada, yada. Good for you! Relax, enjoy life. It sounds like you are content.
Yeah, Maybe your right, having it read back to me, it doesn't sound that bad does it.

You're right about the strange women thing, man thank God I'm not out there. Things seem to be going good for Mrs. Chow and me. (or is it I, never remebered the rule there)

Old 09-27-2008, 05:23 PM

16,224 posts, read 25,660,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
Things seem to be going good for Mrs. Chow and me. (or is it I, never remebered the rule there)
Your on the right track! I`m so proud of you.

Old 09-27-2008, 06:51 PM

2,438 posts, read 7,011,338 times
Midlife crisis comes to play .. when you start wondering if you can attract that young looking thing ... you start excercising (when you never did before) so that you can make yourself attractive to try and attract em.. maybe going out and spending money on a sports car to make yourself feel younger... its more about the age thing then about anything else.. I think the mid life crisis comes into play when you start doing things that normally you wouldnt do.. a lot of it has to do with your impending age.. and what you are doing at that time with yourself..

I think people coined the phrase mid life due to the fact it usually happens in your 40's to 50's.

Old 09-27-2008, 06:54 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,938,326 times
When you turn 50 you start acting like a troubled 14 year old and you screw up everybody's life in the process....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships