Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-10-2012, 11:31 AM

4 posts, read 9,354 times

Advertisements

My story is two-fold.

I was in a relationship with someone for many years that was a habitual cheater. He would stick his dinghy in anyone, so long as it wasn't me, it seemed. He loved 'older' women, but was in a relationship with me despite me being two years younger.

One day, he disappeared again for a few weeks, immediately after I was planning on visiting his family with him. We had bought the plane tickets and everything. I was in Indiana, but his family was in French Canada. Of course, I had bought non-refundable tickets for myself, because they were cheaper.

At any rate, his 'disappearance' was the last straw for me. I finally got some self-esteem, and just cut him out of my life. No formal breakup, no nothing. I just disappeared as he did.

Shortly after leaving him like he often left me, I met someone new. He was a wonderful person, if not a little bit crazy. (Note to self: don't date anyone detoxing from antidepressants!) We dated for just over three years and things went more or less smoothly. It was a relatively low-maintenance relationship when it worked.

However, the relationship began to sour as I had to move to Kentucky after the end of graduate school. I worked flexible hours, so I could take a week off at any given time. He, working long, grueling hours, got tired of coming to visit me (which he only did twice after the move), and I got tired of being the one that would have to come to Indiana on my own dime once a month for a week. Besides, this period of "practically living together" became horribly awkward. I got tired of watching bad science fiction movies and cartoons, listening to his diatribes about stuff, not having sex, and dealing with the fact that he wouldn't make a real commitment... the usual "the relationship is going in the crapper" signs. Of course, any discussion about it all always resulted in a dead end.

Eventually, I started to get an overwhelming feeling in my chest that this was the end. I didn't want it to be the end, because he was a decent person, and I loved him. However, the signs were too strong to ignore. I started having dreams about him being married to someone else, and having relations with someone else, and having kids with someone else... and I took it as a sign that I needed to step out of the way.

Being a jealous person at heart, I did not want to be alone. A lot had happened during that time period that was tearing me away from the person that I felt like I wanted to be. I had lost my old life, a job I adored, my 18-year-old cat and, imminently, I believed that I would lose the boyfriend, too. It was just too much to bear.

Instead of dealing with the situation honorably, I decided to cheat on him once with my cheating ex. It wasn't terribly enjoyable, and it was another reminder why the one I loved, but was failing with, was a much better man. But, boy, did I pay for that!

That was 18 months ago.

If I had left him honorably instead of through devious means--meaning that his suspicion of something being "off" a day later is what triggered our "mutual" breakup--I might not be alone right now. I am still living what feels like a shadow of my old life. The great sorrow that fills me for doing the wrong thing still lingers in the shadows, although the grace of God lifts it from me when He desires it. Although I have a somewhat better job, a new relationship with Christ through the nurturing of the Catholic Church, and two new pets, I do not have what my heart desired initially. I wanted a husband to whom I can be a forever helpmate. That is the part that hurts the most.

Although I will be washed clean through the Sacrament of Reconciliation upon completing RCIA, and will be healed through the Grace of God, I cannot forgive myself for causing such unnecessary pain in the process. I feel like I have truly learned my lesson, and I only wish for the scales to be balanced so that I, once again, can find peace from my guilt. I cry every day for my mistakes. I feel immense pain for what was, in essence, a terrible experience all around. Although the relationship was not meant to be in the end, I should have treated someone I loved--and, despite his faults, still love--in a better way. I continually examine myself, asking why I let myself do this, and attempting to grow in preparation for whoever The Father intends me to be with.

Oh, and as for the one who got cheated on? I heard that he is now engaged to a very nice woman, and they hope to get married soon. I couldn't be happier for him, but my jealousy and pain make me believe that I am living in penance for this mistake. This proves to me that dreams can truly be prophetic.

Old 12-10-2012, 11:36 AM

4,187 posts, read 5,158,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingSamme View Post
Karma, AHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!
Yeah, right.
My thoughts exactly. It surprises me how many people hold stock in this stuff- otherwise seemingly very rational people on these Boards. Astrology too receives some attention.

Any bad things that happen to your ex after you break up are purely coincidence. Even if lightning were to strike your ex the minute they left your house, it would not prove anything except that he would do well wearing rubber soled shoes.

Old 12-10-2012, 12:44 PM

904 posts, read 1,381,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fujikochan View Post
Although I will be washed clean through the Sacrament of Reconciliation upon completing RCIA, and will be healed through the Grace of God, I cannot forgive myself for causing such unnecessary pain in the process. I feel like I have truly learned my lesson, and I only wish for the scales to be balanced so that I, once again, can find peace from my guilt. I cry every day for my mistakes. I feel immense pain for what was, in essence, a terrible experience all around. Although the relationship was not meant to be in the end, I should have treated someone I loved--and, despite his faults, still love--in a better way. I continually examine myself, asking why I let myself do this, and attempting to grow in preparation for whoever The Father intends me to be with.
Would you feel guilty if it weren't for your church?

You messed up. You realize you messed up. Stop feeling guilt. It doesn't do you any good and from your account here, the ex landed on his feet and is doing well for himself so what is there to feel guilty about?

Old 12-10-2012, 12:57 PM

19,697 posts, read 20,229,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizualizax90 View Post

I hope you get cancer for saying that and ill be like you and say "that was her karma".
My cheating ex was diagnosed w/ cancer, too.

But seriously, it looks like the karma cancer is really goin around in this thread, so I'm gonna leave.

Old 12-10-2012, 01:44 PM

4 posts, read 9,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhacer View Post
Would you feel guilty if it weren't for your church?
Yes. In fact, before returning "home," I felt much worse.

Old 12-10-2012, 01:58 PM

904 posts, read 1,381,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fujikochan View Post
Yes. In fact, before returning "home," I felt much worse.
Well then pay attention to the second part of my post!

Old 12-11-2012, 04:14 AM

26,143 posts, read 19,829,556 times
I feel sad for all on this thread who has expressed whats happend to them

Old 01-27-2013, 06:04 AM

1 posts, read 2,955 times
I was with a guy in my late teens. We spent almost every day together and we fought but overall we were fond of each other. I ended up pregnant after a year and a half. He wanted to marry me. Fast forward in the pregnancy to Valentine's day...I was in a hospital on bed rest alone. My bf wanted to hang with his friends? Right my thoughts exactly. I called him numerous times that night...he hung up on me. I heard a female speaking. To this day he won't admit he cheated but I know. About 2 weeks later I gave birth. He stayed in surgery with me and left afterwards. I was alone after giving birth to his child and having major surgery to do so...things were weird after. We weren't together or we were I don't remember. About a year after I found out he had empty condom wrappers...he had just claimed again...that he wanted to work it out. Of course I was livid. We were off at that point and he continued to mess with other ppl but more openly now. He did anything he could to hurt me and make me cry. He continued having sex with me even though he was with other ppl. He ended up with this ugly ass dog of a female and claimed he loved her. Brought her around my child. Well fast forward he got her pregnant and now it's over. Claims she cheated. Well they say karma is a ***** right. Lmao and that's only one way karma has gotten him.

Old 01-27-2013, 08:32 AM

1,839 posts, read 3,065,561 times
I don't believe in Karma. Things go the way they do because of the superficiality of society. People considered very good looking , young women or men with money can get away with a lot. Looks fade, youth fades ,though some age well. Sometimes people lose their money. But sometimes they remain rich forever. Until a person loses these things, what we like to call "Karma" does not come around.

Old 01-27-2013, 08:35 AM

1,839 posts, read 3,065,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
karma does not teach jack. consequences of losing a good man teach everything.
^^^^^ this
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships