Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How do you feel about married couples sleeping separately?
No, when you're married you should sleep in the same bed. 17 9.55%
I already sleep in another bedroom from my spouse, but our marriage is good. 49 27.53%
I've wanted to sleep in another room as my spouse snores, but I don't want to hurt his/her feelings. 17 9.55%
If I could, I would, but our house doesn't have that option. 12 6.74%
I love sleeping with my spouse and wouldn't have it any other way. 83 46.63%
Voters: 178. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2007, 11:17 AM

2,815 posts, read 12,989,349 times

Advertisements

I just read an interesting article in the BBC "Americas" section about Americans increasingly choosing to build new homes with two master bedrooms so that both the husband and wife sleep in separate bedrooms to get better rest.
The article entitled: "U.S. Couples seek separate bedrooms" says that Americans are customizing new houses with separate master bedrooms to make marriage more harmonious. According to the article, the National Association of Home Builders says that the changes are customer driven and that by 2015 nearly 60% of new homes will have two master suites.
The stated reason by people questioned is "better rest".
Some builders are calling the second master suite a "flex suite" to avoid embarrassing buyers who actually intend to sleep separately.

I find this interesting. I have never been able to sleep with someone else in bed next to me. Never. I lie awake and toss and turn and get too hot. It's been an issue in past relationships.
When I was growing up, my grandparents slept in separate bedrooms and my real father who snores very loudly has slept in his own bedroom since 1980 while my stepmother has slept in another.
Do you sleep in separate bedrooms or know anyone who does who has a happy marriage?
Do you think it's a problem for a marriage if the husband and wife don't sleep together?
I'm curious about your views.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2007, 11:41 AM

8,189 posts, read 31,242,333 times
I have sleep issues. I would happily have separate bedrooms. There have been times when my husband has chosen to sleep in another room, just so I can get some sleep. He does not really care where he sleeps.

My grandparents had one bedroom, but 2 beds. My grandfather snored at an amazing decibel level.

Old 03-12-2007, 11:44 AM

282 posts, read 1,264,493 times
I don't know why someone would get married if they didn't want to sleep in the same bed with their spouse.

I've been married for 15 years, and the only time my husband and I didn't sleep together was when he was on the road. I can't imagine sleeping in a separate room from him. I mean, what if something happened and I wasn't there? How could I live with myself?? Easy, I couldn't.

Old 03-12-2007, 11:49 AM

2,834 posts, read 10,769,198 times
What if something happened and you weren't there?? What about children, most parents encourage them to sleep in their own rooms, something could happen to them too.
My husband and I have the same bed, but he gets up at 11 pm to go to work and i go to bed at 11 pm, so we both get to hog the whole bed. On the weekends we jokingly argue about who snores and who hogs the bed and who gets to have the temp. just right.
I could see me having my own bed or even bedroom down the road...

Old 03-12-2007, 11:54 AM

479 posts, read 1,237,303 times
I love sleeping with my husband, and sometimes he snores, and he says I do also. However, once awakened, I can usually fall back to sleep easily and therefore get a good night's sleep. I can understand that some couples want separate sleeping quarters though, and I think that's OK, as long as that's what both of them want, and it's certainly better than divorce!

Old 03-12-2007, 11:55 AM

282 posts, read 1,264,493 times
[quote=What if something happened and you weren't there?? What about children, most parents encourage them to sleep in their own rooms, something could happen to them too.[/quote]

I guess I view it that way because we don't have kids. We have cats.

I mean like heart attack or something. I just never understood the whole married but sleeping separate thing. My hangup, I guess.

Last edited by Lauri_25ny; 03-12-2007 at 11:58 AM.. Reason: forgot to quote

Old 03-12-2007, 12:04 PM

2,909 posts, read 14,089,875 times
You could have seperate beds but share the master bedroom for its big enough. Much more comfortable to each have your own bed. Sleeping adjacent to someone in the same bed means you may roll and bump each other. Also one may hog the blanket. In hotels I was never comfortable unless I had the whole bed to myself.

Old 03-12-2007, 12:12 PM

2,538 posts, read 3,878,178 times
Hello to everyone! My husband and I are both in the airline industry and apart 15-18 nights a month. Let me tell you, that first night back in the same bed is just awful, one of us always ends up on the couch! I don't want a seperate bed all the time, but some nights it sure would be nice. It's the snoring (his) for the most part that makes me nuts, my snoring doesn't bother me at all... LOL! :-)

Old 03-12-2007, 12:23 PM

23,019 posts, read 34,393,868 times
My husband and I love falling asleep next to each other. But occasionally if he's sick and wants to use the vaporizer he'll go upstairs, but this is very rare. We both sleep better when we're together, and the cat always sleeps with me

Old 03-12-2007, 12:28 PM

1,806 posts, read 5,708,897 times
My husband snores...so loudly that you can hear him from the other side of the house. If he's on the couch I can hear him while outside.

A light sleeper with regular intervals of insomnia, it is often difficult for me to get more than a few (as in maybe 3-4) hours of solid sleep...I just can't rest with that much noise and at a point, I wake up and that's it...I'm up.

I sleep much better when we travel because we book a room with two beds to accommodate my daughter, if her travel bed won't fit anywhere...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships