Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2009, 12:40 PM

1,300 posts, read 2,572,743 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBT1980 View Post
I mean i never asked then to set me up but i dont exactly have an abundance of women so its not like thats the reason

As i said its not that i actually want to be set up as much as im hurt because i hear them talk about girls they know who theyd like to set up with another single friend and never me so i feel like they feel im not good enough to be with these women or something and it hurts my confidence with women even more..

Maybe what you need to do is stop being a W-A-L-L-F-L-O-W-E-R and women will finally notice you. That's probably why your friends never considered hooking you up with anyone. We ladies can sense a guy with no self confidence and steer clear of them. You need to get a hobby, join a club or a community activity or something and go out somewhere, but not for the sake of looking for girlfriends to "fit in" with your friends.

If you don't want to do that, you can audition to be in The Pick-Up Artist and make friends with guys similar with your situation and come out with a positive outlook on life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2009, 07:53 PM

4 posts, read 12,713 times
Quote:
Yeah thats how it is for me, im only in my late 20's but all my friends are married or getting married so i dont even have many people to go and get women with..

My self esteem with is low with women,it would be a boost to at least know there's some attracted to me me or at the very least have friends who think there's women out there for me
Oh, you sure we aren't related? I'm a the point, after 3yrs of separation, that I can't even talk to women. It's really funny - when I'm out at the grocery store, at the bank, wherever, I make a conscious effort to smile. If I see an attractive woman, I will smile at her. They always look away.

Here's another example. I was catching a flight and walked to the gate. A fairly nice looking woman was reading a magazine. I sat down 2 seats away from her. She looked at me and I smiled at her. She got her stuff together, got up, and moved to another row.

I've even asked some friends and they either say they don't know anyone, or they have someone in mind and will ask, but they never get back.

Yeah, it's sad. I've resolved myself to the fact that I'm never going to date again. I don't know why, but women seem to dislike me.

Old 02-01-2009, 10:51 PM

5,324 posts, read 6,103,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferengi View Post
Oh, you sure we aren't related? I'm a the point, after 3yrs of separation, that I can't even talk to women. It's really funny - when I'm out at the grocery store, at the bank, wherever, I make a conscious effort to smile. If I see an attractive woman, I will smile at her. They always look away.

Here's another example. I was catching a flight and walked to the gate. A fairly nice looking woman was reading a magazine. I sat down 2 seats away from her. She looked at me and I smiled at her. She got her stuff together, got up, and moved to another row.

I've even asked some friends and they either say they don't know anyone, or they have someone in mind and will ask, but they never get back.

Yeah, it's sad. I've resolved myself to the fact that I'm never going to date again. I don't know why, but women seem to dislike me.
Yeha i feel the same way i have no confidence,whenever i approach women i feel they make some face like they cant be bothered by me..

while im not good looking i dont think im hideous but who knows maybe iam or maybe women today are more picky the never and only date great looking guys i dunno

Old 05-09-2009, 10:11 AM

1,089 posts, read 2,399,429 times
I'm sorry to dig up an old thread but I registered specifically to comment on this.

First, JBT, get the ridiculous notion that you're not good looking enough out of your head right now! Beauty really is in the eye of the beholder. Just look at the horrifically ugly guys married to/dating some of the hottest female celebrities, those women think their guys are hot, even though you and I would probably agree they're way below average.

So just forget about that, looks don't have anything to do with anything. My friends/family haven't tried to set me up with anyone either, and yet I've had a few women tell me I'm "gorgeous", so looks don't have anything to do with why your friends aren't trying to set you up.

Also, to both you and ferengi, "women" in the general term don't have a standard for what they like in men. "Women" are all individuals with their own tastes. Some will think you're ugly and some will think you're cute. This goes for all guys, even Brad Pitt, some women would have sex with him at the drop of a hat and others don't think he even deserves a second look.

To ferengi, I just can't believe that ALL women look away when you smile at them, that's impossible. Does the teller at the bank run away when you smile and say "good morning, I'd like to make a deposit/withdrawl'? I doubt it. Does the cashier at any store frown and look away when you walk up to make a purchase? Again, I seriously doubt it. Granted they're doing their job and are paid to be friendly to customers, but they are still women, and they're smiling and greeting you.

By the way, did you guys know that women often break eye contact with men they find ATTRACTIVE? Lots of girls are shy or nervous, have low self-esteem, and/or are self-conscious about their looks, especially beautiful women. Think about it... if all you ever heard from other people is how good looking you are, you'd probably start to think that's all people value you for. So what happens on the days when you don't think you look all that great? Chances are you would feel like you don't deserve much attention, especially from someone you find attractive.

Sorry for such a long post but I just had to get some this off my chest because the negativity and self-loathing in this thread is totally unwarrented!

Old 05-09-2009, 10:13 AM

3,633 posts, read 5,357,922 times
Quote:
Im just whining here dont mind me but im just thinking how my friends never try to set me up on dates and it makes my already low self esteem with women even lower

Most of my friends are married or engaged and theres about 3 of us still single,my friends and there women alwasy try to look to set the other 2 up with different women and never me and it kinda hurts..

Theres really no way to take it but they dont think women would be interested in me i guess looks wise and it just gives me even less incentive to approach women with any confidence..
maybe you could approach those friends & tell them what you said here?
it's possible that they think you wouldn't be interested.

Old 05-09-2009, 11:21 AM
miu

17,769 posts, read 40,180,569 times
Default My friends never try to set me up on dates

Quote:
Im just whining here dont mind me but im just thinking how my friends never try to set me up on dates and it makes my already low self esteem with women even lower

Most of my friends are married or engaged and theres about 3 of us still single,my friends and there women alwasy try to look to set the other 2 up with different women and never me and it kinda hurts..

Theres really no way to take it but they dont think women would be interested in me i guess looks wise and it just gives me even less incentive to approach women with any confidence..
Have you actually come right out and asked your friends to help you find a girlfriend?

How old are you and how long has it been since you've had a girlfriend? I'd say that you'd have better luck finding a girlfriend yourself. But you need to start by not trying so hard to find one and instead going out and finding new activities to do and meeting new friends. Basically, your current circle of friends is stagnant and played out. Go search craigslist for volunteer activities to help out at. You'll feel good inside for helping out the less fortunate. And that glow of goodness will help attract other people to you.

Otherwise, personally, I don't feel that comfortable matchmaking amongst my friends. If the relationship doesn't work out in a big way, then I feel responsible for the resulting mess and drama.

Old 05-09-2009, 11:23 AM

61,288 posts, read 87,441,267 times
my married friends are more than happy to fix me up with all the rosie o'donnell lookalikes i could ever want.
as to on my own search, i go to dances alot. dance with people i know well, nice older women, harmless known them for years, but i have a vision problem. at these dances, everyone else sees pretty girls sitting at tables waiting to be asked to dance. but i see vampires, no reflection in the mirror at all.

Old 05-09-2009, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuinlalaland View Post
I'm sorry to dig up an old thread but I registered specifically to comment on this.

First, JBT, get the ridiculous notion that you're not good looking enough out of your head right now! Beauty really is in the eye of the beholder. Just look at the horrifically ugly guys married to/dating some of the hottest female celebrities, those women think their guys are hot, even though you and I would probably agree they're way below average.

So just forget about that, looks don't have anything to do with anything. My friends/family haven't tried to set me up with anyone either, and yet I've had a few women tell me I'm "gorgeous", so looks don't have anything to do with why your friends aren't trying to set you up.

Also, to both you and ferengi, "women" in the general term don't have a standard for what they like in men. "Women" are all individuals with their own tastes. Some will think you're ugly and some will think you're cute. This goes for all guys, even Brad Pitt, some women would have sex with him at the drop of a hat and others don't think he even deserves a second look.

To ferengi, I just can't believe that ALL women look away when you smile at them, that's impossible. Does the teller at the bank run away when you smile and say "good morning, I'd like to make a deposit/withdrawl'? I doubt it. Does the cashier at any store frown and look away when you walk up to make a purchase? Again, I seriously doubt it. Granted they're doing their job and are paid to be friendly to customers, but they are still women, and they're smiling and greeting you.

By the way, did you guys know that women often break eye contact with men they find ATTRACTIVE? Lots of girls are shy or nervous, have low self-esteem, and/or are self-conscious about their looks, especially beautiful women. Think about it... if all you ever heard from other people is how good looking you are, you'd probably start to think that's all people value you for. So what happens on the days when you don't think you look all that great? Chances are you would feel like you don't deserve much attention, especially from someone you find attractive.

Sorry for such a long post but I just had to get some this off my chest because the negativity and self-loathing in this thread is totally unwarrented!
I appreciate the advice and i try everyday to gain more confidecne with women,its much easier said then done but hoepfuly ill overcome my weaknesses..

Old 05-09-2009, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
Have you actually come right out and asked your friends to help you find a girlfriend?

How old are you and how long has it been since you've had a girlfriend? I'd say that you'd have better luck finding a girlfriend yourself. But you need to start by not trying so hard to find one and instead going out and finding new activities to do and meeting new friends. Basically, your current circle of friends is stagnant and played out. Go search craigslist for volunteer activities to help out at. You'll feel good inside for helping out the less fortunate. And that glow of goodness will help attract other people to you.

Otherwise, personally, I don't feel that comfortable matchmaking amongst my friends. If the relationship doesn't work out in a big way, then I feel responsible for the resulting mess and drama.
The thing is i dont neecassarily think it would work either gettign set up its more my lack of confidence and the fact that my friends or their women enver try to set me up but do for other friends makes me think they dont think im atrractive enough to set me up..

Old 05-09-2009, 11:35 AM

1,570 posts, read 2,070,424 times
One of my aunts set up a friend of her's. She showed him pictures of how she looked like in her youth and he got all excited. She was like, "look she is hot, isn't she?". And he was so excited that when he went to meet her on the blind date. He passed out from how ugly she was. She was very fat and wore clothing to tight for a women her size. It had to be quite a scene to see this guy pass out in public. So be thankful that you aren't being set up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships