Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2009, 03:40 PM

473 posts, read 760,964 times

Advertisements

I'm considering getting back on online dating sites, but I'm stuck at how to write a good profile. What are some pointers to writing a good online profile? What are things you should say and things you should avoid saying?

If it's not revealing any trade secrets, what have you written that has worked for you?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2009, 03:48 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,170,643 times
I'd avoid nauseating clichés (I can dress up & down and be in & out ; who can't...) and dumb-sounding invitations for trouble like "no cheaters," "no drama," "real people only" and so forth... I'd write something unique that would set you apart from the herd. Knowing you somewhat, I'd think you're not gonna write stupid stuff at least! Good luck!

Old 02-09-2009, 03:52 PM

52,279 posts, read 52,700,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KardoulaMou View Post
I'm considering getting back on online dating sites, but I'm stuck at how to write a good profile. What are some pointers to writing a good online profile? What are things you should say and things you should avoid saying?

If it's not revealing any trade secrets, what have you written that has worked for you?
Good thing you don't live in So Cal, so you wouldn't have to write "Loves walks on the beach" Every friggin personal ad here has that lame ass line.

I've never wrote a personal ad before so I couldn't be much help. I'm think just for a goof, you should write everything opposite you like just to see what kind of person you'd attract.

Old 02-09-2009, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
Good thing you don't live in So Cal, so you wouldn't have to write "Loves walks on the beach" Every friggin personal ad here has that lame ass line.
Hey, I do, too! I suppose that'll make me a gold-digger here! Imagine the fancy activities the lady's after...

Old 02-09-2009, 03:59 PM

4,271 posts, read 8,174,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
I'd avoid nauseating clichés (I can dress up & down and be in & out ; who can't...) and dumb-sounding invitations for trouble like "no cheaters," "no drama," "real people only" and so forth... I'd write something unique that would set you apart from the herd. Knowing you somewhat, I'd think you're not gonna write stupid stuff at least! Good luck!
Or that you like all kinds of music.

Or that you like anything from Beer to Liquor to the Finest Wines

Or that men tell you that your beautiful/pretty/hot/sexy... etc.. 300lb women get told that stuff too, especially after 10 beers at 1:45am

Old 02-09-2009, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IonRedline08 View Post
Or that you like all kinds of music.

Or that you like anything from Beer to Liquor to the Finest Wines

Or that men tell you that your beautiful/pretty/hot/sexy... etc.. 300lb women get told that stuff too, especially after 10 beers at 1:45am

Yep!

My profiles tend to attract attention, even if they’re sans pictures. Arguably, the wrong attention , so I better shut up!

Old 02-09-2009, 04:27 PM

3,467 posts, read 8,144,684 times
Ummm....write about yourself and avoid cliches. The idea is to give a glimpse into your personality, life, and interests. It's also a conversation stater, so there needs to be enough info and topics to make it easy for people to respond. If it's short and generic, it's hard for people to respond and so then they may not respond.

Be specific....avoid the vague statements such as "I like all different kinds of music". That says nothing about you. Say instead "I saw such-and-such band last month and they were awesome" or whatever. If you really do have eclectic taste, name an artist/band from each major genre you like.

Don't use it to rant on what you don't want in a person. Avoid negativity.

Show a sense of humor....not forced or intimidatingly witty. Adding a little self-deprecation is good, as long as it is not negative, but maybe mention something quirky about you. Random details about people can actually be pretty amusing on profiles, as opposed to the usual drone about your job and how you love the outdoors.

Old 02-09-2009, 04:35 PM

4,271 posts, read 8,174,845 times
I did an ad once that was titled something like "76 Reasons I am The Best Catch on this Website", and then listed them out.

Old 02-09-2009, 04:38 PM

36,421 posts, read 16,032,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IonRedline08 View Post
I did an ad once that was titled something like "76 Reasons I am The Best Catch on this Website", and then listed them out.
So you are married now due to that profile??

Old 02-09-2009, 04:38 PM

3,977 posts, read 7,694,209 times
so, not to take anything away from the OP, but I wonder if mentioning that I don't want guys who are just looking for sex/good times is ok to mention?? Otherwise, I would get the creeps that only want sex. I'd rather weed them out quicker.
What about requesting the guy be marriage/children minded?? can I mention that?

*I realize this type of guy doesn't exist, but a girl can dream, can't she??
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships