Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2010, 09:00 AM

1 posts, read 2,210 times

Advertisements

you need to get rid of that loser and get your money to buy things for yourself and your kids even plan a vacation yearly... get rid of that life sucker!!!!

Old 09-22-2010, 09:08 AM

2,788 posts, read 5,092,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steph126 View Post
My husband and I were together for ten years before we got married last year. We have two children. Our relationship has always been challenging. Most of these challenges resulted from his substance abuse issues and low self-esteem. He has lost job after job. I believe that he is functionally illiterate. Two years ago I finally finished getting my Bachelor's and got a decent paying job. My husband decided to go back to school also at that point. He was doing really well, became really active in the kid's lives and was working and going to school. We set goals and I was so happy that we were working towards them. That's when we decided to get married.

Well, within four months of our marriage, he dropped out of school. He began drinking excessively again and he is now working about 15-20 hours per week at a restaurant on weeknights. That's it. He's home all day and when I get home the house is a mess.

He gives me about $250 dollars per month, but his personal bills exceed $500 per month (of course I pay those as well as all of the other household bills). The problem is, we live in a house that my parents own. Therefore, he's the one that needs to leave. He doesn't have any money - or seemingly the capacity to earn any. I can't afford to "set him up" in a new place and his family won't help him out.

What can I do? I want out of this so badly. I've worked too hard to provide my kids with a good life and I'm not even able to do so because I'm supporting this grown man!

You've never heard of DIVORCE???

Old 09-22-2010, 09:12 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,706,825 times
Old thread. The OP hasn't been here since April of last year. This was her only thread.

I do wonder what happened to some of these people. They rarely come back and tell us!

Old 09-22-2010, 09:28 AM

8,679 posts, read 15,270,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
Old thread. The OP hasn't been here since April of last year. This was her only thread.

I do wonder what happened to some of these people. They rarely come back and tell us!

Heh, if not for the chronology and the drinking, I'd wonder if she married my ex-husband. The dropping out of school and becoming a sluggard thing is giving me a flashback. Gawd, she was even in Maryland, where he is now.

Old 09-22-2010, 01:05 PM

951 posts, read 1,811,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NotARedneck View Post
This sounds like a scenario that millions of men have faced in the last 25 years. How did they manage?

Oh, I nearly forgot that they didn't get to keep the kids and live in their house, so now they live in a two room basement suite.

What you have here is an interesting problem, from an equality perspective. You may have to support him, just like he would have to support you if your roles were reversed. This is a problem my sister might face. Having a house husband was convenient, but now that my neice is a teen, he has no role and no prospects. Besides he owes his ex a bundle.

Such men have no national organizations going to bat for them but judges like to set precidents. Only seems fair.
Moving has been a revelation. Instead of living where mostly good looking, "successful" men were getting married and then being taken to the cleaners in divorce, now its the women who have jobs and they are generally supporting a good looking layabout. This leaves them in the lurch, for a change, so there is lots of whining around here.

I think we are encountering an era of a complete sex role reversal that will result in men who can (because they are good looking) finding a woman to support them and when she gets bored, these guys will live happily thereafter on the proceeds. The only advantage to the women is that the housing is usually much cheaper where this occurs.

Old 09-22-2010, 02:46 PM

16,224 posts, read 25,669,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steph126 View Post
He gives me about $250 dollars per month, but his personal bills exceed $500 per month (of course I pay those as well as all of the other household bills). The problem is, we live in a house that my parents own. Therefore, he's the one that needs to leave. He doesn't have any money - or seemingly the capacity to earn any. I can't afford to "set him up" in a new place and his family won't help him out.

What can I do? I want out of this so badly. I've worked too hard to provide my kids with a good life and I'm not even able to do so because I'm supporting this grown man!
You need to dump him on his parents door..or a brother, sister, cousin, etc... Its not your problem!

Old 09-23-2010, 03:05 AM

25,080 posts, read 16,329,300 times
Wow this is a difficult situation. I don't have any answers just be cautious. Desperate people do desperate things. I am sorry for what you are going through.

Old 10-11-2012, 06:31 AM

1 posts, read 1,821 times
Hay I Understand your Pain I'm going throught a simular situation, and I dont know how to get rid of my husband either!

Old 10-11-2012, 08:04 AM

2,296 posts, read 3,125,575 times
He is already depressed, maybe if you compleatly ruin his self esteem he will kill him self.
Well that is what my ex tried, almost worked, unfortunently I got over it am am doing quite well now.

Old 10-11-2012, 08:14 AM

2,982 posts, read 9,836,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ladytru1102 View Post
Hay I Understand your Pain I'm going throught a simular situation, and I dont know how to get rid of my husband either!
This thread started April of 2009?? I doubt if its all relevant.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships