Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2009, 10:40 PM

44,259 posts, read 64,433,178 times

Advertisements

Just wanted your opinion...

Which is ruder? Showing up to meet at a restaurant late (knowing you have a reservation) or showing up on time, not waiting for the late people, and ordering drinks and appetizers?

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2009, 10:44 PM

12,200 posts, read 18,391,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Just wanted your opinion...

Which is ruder? Showing up to meet at a restaurant late (knowing you have a reservation) or showing up on time, not waiting for the late people, and ordering drinks and appetizers?

Thanks.
Showing up late...I used to meet up with my mommy's group twice a month and it would ruin our night when people were really late. A lot of places won't sit you until they have the final head count for your party so that means you're wasting time, time that a lot of women didn't have because the sitter was only staying till 11 or they had to pick the kids up from the movie.

We made a rule where the last person to arrive had to pay for the first round of drinks...you'd be amazed what a little monetary encouragement can do

Old 06-21-2009, 10:48 PM

2,588 posts, read 5,435,121 times
Showing up late is ruder. Of course, there are always valid excuses. It happens to everyone at one point or another. But, it certainly isn't rude to order a drink if you're the one waiting. If you're really hungry and people are really late, then appetizers are the next logical step. And, then, eventually you just need to eat and go home.

Old 06-21-2009, 10:49 PM

6,351 posts, read 9,987,060 times
I work in a restuarant and let me tell you, showing up late is MUCH ruder...just make sure to allow the date to have some apps when they arrive and don't say "hey, these are mine! get your own damn Shrimp Cocktail!" as I once saw a man say to the woman he was on a FIRST DATE with

Something tells me there wasn't a second date...

Old 06-21-2009, 10:53 PM

12,200 posts, read 18,391,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victorianpunk View Post
I work in a restuarant and let me tell you, showing up late is MUCH ruder...just make sure to allow the date to have some apps when they arrive and don't say "hey, these are mine! get your own damn Shrimp Cocktail!" as I once saw a man say to the woman he was on a FIRST DATE with

Something tells me there wasn't a second date...
Oh I do that all the time; I have never shared an appetizer with a date. I am not a sharing person lol every once in awhile I'll do an even exchange "one scallop for two of your hot wings"

Old 06-21-2009, 11:27 PM

19,435 posts, read 15,279,326 times
Thanks for posting this, so I can voice my opinion and also let go of some (hopefully unnecesary) guilt.

The person(s) late is the problem. The first time I met, for lunch, a new friend of mine, she was late. Of course, things always happen to slow us up, but when on the very first appointment, that person shows up late, you kind of get the hint that it's kind of a regular thing. And it was.

Anyways..... One time my dad invited us and this same women and her husband over for steaks. This other couple showed up 45 minutes late. So he said " *@#&%$!, the steaks are done, we're eating!" (These people live about 10 mins. from him.) I was torn, but I went along, especially because it was steak (doesn't keep real well for reheating, etc.)

When this couple arrived, they said, "Oh, you're eating already?" So I felt bad for that. Really no reason why I should have, but this is why I'm answering your post.

Honestly, in the past, I used to be late quite often. People say that you do that because you think that your time is more valuable than theirs. I don't know if I agree with that. I just don't think in concrete terms like that, and I always thought that I could squeeze everything in, in time.

But, since hearing the above thought, and realizing that if I don't make a plan, I will continue to cause others to wait, I make a *huge* effort, now, to be on time. We're always on time now.

Old 06-22-2009, 12:22 AM
miu

17,770 posts, read 40,206,433 times
Showing up late (without a call or warning) is ruder. In this day and age of cell phones, there is no excuse for not making a call and telling ones date or friends their estimated time of arrival AND telling them to go ahead and order drinks or start the meal without them. The tardy person(s) shouldn't want their hungry friends to have to sit their waiting for their arrival before being able to order drinks and food. If there is a reservation and it's a busy night, the restaurant is going to want to get the party going on the dinner so that they can stay on schedule and not hold up the next party reserved for that table.

I hate when a restaurant is clearly very busy that night and a dinner party is done with their desserts and coffee and won't leave their table. Restaurants take reservations to help their customers plan their big evening out, but it goes both ways, and the customers have to also show some consideration back to the restaurant and their fellow diners.

Old 06-22-2009, 07:32 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,433,178 times
Sea, I have a friend like that...she always has too much on her social plate, so she is chronically late wherever she goes. Drives us batty, but we love her, so what to do!? Lol...

Old 06-22-2009, 07:41 AM

42,831 posts, read 88,221,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaOfGrass View Post
People say that you do that because you think that your time is more valuable than theirs.
I'm of this school of thought.

Glad you fixed your tardy ways, Grassie. It's really annoying!

Old 06-22-2009, 07:53 AM

5,612 posts, read 15,125,177 times
I'm the one who is always late and I don't have a problem with people going ahead and eating until I get there. I try to keep it under 10 min and I always call when I'm running late. I'm so bad I keep a timer on me at work and I still get back a minute or two late half the time.

I've gotten better but I don't foresee me being on time everywhere. I'm not as bad as my godmother. If we want her somewhere on time, we tell her to show up hour before we want her there. Then she's usually only 20 - 30 min late.

Not everyone who is chronically late is inconsiderate, some people are jus tbad time managers. Oh well no one's perfect and if that's the worst flaw, I'll take it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships