Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2009, 11:38 AM

1,668 posts, read 4,707,379 times

Advertisements

I use reverse psychology & let him think he's making the decisions.....so he feels he's in control. Then after that, he's open to my suggestions & I can take the steering wheel again! :-)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2009, 11:40 AM

28,892 posts, read 30,269,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeninmt View Post
Exactly... it works for us, and I don't expect it to work for all.
But at the same time, I sometimes wonder if a lot of the "problems" we have in realtionships these days aren't attributed to this idea that everyone has to be equal.
I am not saying my husband is a caveman and drags me around by my hair and I just pop out babies and have dinner waiting on the table when he gets home.
But, when it comes to making sure our family is taken care of, he has the reins.
I think knowing that ultimate responsibility makes him a better man and, and supporting him definitely makes me a better woman and mother.
But, again, it may not be for everyone.

well first of you, you know, as well as I do, nothing is every equal, there is always one in every relationship who gives more then the other...not saying it's a bad thing, it just is....

2nd, an equal relationship would be perfection and man isn't perfect, plus one person's idea of equal, might not be another person's idea of equal. Doen't make either one, right or wrong.

You've bought some good points to the table.

Old 06-23-2009, 11:41 AM

28,892 posts, read 30,269,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Granny Sue View Post
My husband is the head of our household. I don't mind one little bit.
It by no means makes me a whipping post. He consults me about just about everything.

Tell you the truth, I make decisions and have to be the boss all day long. It's nice to go home and turn the reins over to someone else.

As long as both treat the other with respect, there's no reason one can't be the leader.
Hi There,

yes, exactly, it's all about what works for the couple...

Old 06-23-2009, 11:51 AM

8,064 posts, read 18,010,195 times
Quote:
Biology (for the most part).
And, to clear up any misconceptions, I am NOT religious, so these ideas aren't based on the Bible.
I just feel like there are certain, unchangable roles that male and female play in the grand scheme of things, and by trying to even those playing fields, we do ourselves a HUGE injustice.
So how would you explain the various cultures that do NOT operate this way?

Old 06-23-2009, 12:07 PM

283 posts, read 738,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by teatime View Post
So how would you explain the various cultures that do NOT operate this way?
"Cultures" are not biologically bred in us, they are a product of man.

Old 06-23-2009, 12:24 PM

Quote:
"Cultures" are not biologically bred in us, they are a product of man.
Uh, yes, but biology is shared by all humans. You said that the role of men and women is based on biology -- if that were true, cultures and societies would pretty much operate the same way because such roles would be innate but that's not the case.

Biology dictates survival of the species in this area but cultures and societal norms establish roles and rules. Some even argue that men tend to be polyamorous because of the biological need/drive to propagate the species and expecting them to be monogamous is contrary to their biology. I'm not saying I agree with that, but that IS a biological argument.

Old 06-23-2009, 12:30 PM

283 posts, read 738,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by teatime View Post
Uh, yes, but biology is shared by all humans. You said that the role of men and women is based on biology -- if that were true, cultures and societies would pretty much operate the same way because such roles would be innate but that's not the case.

Biology dictates survival of the species in this area but cultures and societal norms establish roles and rules. Some even argue that men tend to be polyamorous because of the biological need/drive to propagate the species and expecting them to be monogamous is contrary to their biology. I'm not saying I agree with that, but that IS a biological argument.
But, the first, original "culture" was all one, and given the amount of cultures where the women are the leaders vs. the amount of cultures where the men are the leaders makes me think it is pretty safe to assume that the original culture was based more on what you would find in the majority of the animal kingdom, where the males were in charge. Those cultures where females are in charge would be an offshoot later on down the biological road.

And, for the record, I actually buy into the polyamorous debate as well.
But, I am a biologist not an anthropologist.

Old 06-23-2009, 12:33 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,420,711 times
too often the driver is not interested in the destination desires of the passenger.
in fact they think they are doing them a favor by driving and making the decisions for them.
that is why we find 1 out of 2 cars in the ditch.
many will swear all drivers are male. if the the car goes in the ditch
the driver is never female, ever.

Old 06-23-2009, 12:35 PM

4,253 posts, read 9,453,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LizzySWW View Post
I use reverse psychology & let him think he's making the decisions.....so he feels he's in control. Then after that, he's open to my suggestions & I can take the steering wheel again! :-)
I've heard about using the reverse psychology with men since forever. Tricking men into thinking that they are the leaders - manipulating them, basically. I could never master the skill, though - I'm too direct. Now I think, it's not that bad. I function better in a straightforward environment, and feel extremely uncomfy with smoke and mirrors. At least I am honest with myself and people around me. Makes some things stressful though... so, there are drawbacks in each approach.

Old 06-23-2009, 12:37 PM

Quote:
But, the first, original "culture" was all one, and given the amount of cultures where the women are the leaders vs. the amount of cultures where the men are the leaders makes me think it is pretty safe to assume that the original culture was based more on what you would find in the majority of the animal kingdom, where the males were in charge. Those cultures where females are in charge would be an offshoot later on down the biological road.

And, for the record, I actually buy into the polyamorous debate as well.
But, I am a biologist not an anthropologist.
Was there such a thing as marriage when the "culture was all one?" I truly don't know and am now wondering, LOL.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships