Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2009, 06:25 PM

2,046 posts, read 5,588,373 times

Advertisements

Do you give it? Get it? I get angry and it takes me very long to cool down. Not good I know but its me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2009, 06:34 PM

11,169 posts, read 10,652,381 times
I do not give it and whereas personal relationships are concerned this is my #1 pet peeve next to lying. I have little tolerance for passive-aggressive individuals and like to weed them out of my life as soon as possible.

It is very abusive.

The Silent Treatment - A severe form of abuse

Emotional Abuse is Mental Abuse: The Silent Treatment is a Weapon in Abusive Relationships | Suite101.com

The too common abusive silent treatment « Focus on the Family

Psychopath and Narcissist Survivors Support Group :: View topic - The Silent Treatment - A Form of Abuse

SilentTreatment

Old 08-05-2009, 06:39 PM

9,912 posts, read 13,903,517 times
I hate it with a passion. I find it incredibly distressing.

If someone is really angry and not able to form a coherant sentence while they ride out their anger then a short sentence saying something like, "I need to cool off and I'll come back to this conversation" is fine by me.

BUT crack it and don't talk to me for days in some pathetic attempt to gain the upper hand and I'm so outta there.

Old 08-05-2009, 06:41 PM

1,659 posts, read 2,777,113 times
Yeah, I don't care for this at all. Ironically, once the person cuts me off to punish me I start to adapt to a more peaceful life without them. They come back still angry and I've already replaced them with other friends, activities etc.

Old 08-05-2009, 06:44 PM

1,887 posts, read 7,940,698 times
I'm with you on that one. I prefer to talk things out (as they happen) instead of sitting and stewing about it. I made it clear, early on in my current relationship, that I won't deal with that type of behavior. I don't like playing guessing games with people when it comes to matters of emotion. If you can't tell me how you're feeling and why it is you're feeling that way, I won't waste my time fishing for a response.

Old 08-05-2009, 06:48 PM

13,784 posts, read 26,253,509 times
Well, there is the "silent treatment" which is a form of punishment and ostracizing someone and there is a "cool down" period when one is angry and they do not want to speak out of anger.

The "silent treatment" to punish is incredibly juvenile and shows a lack of introspection.

Old 08-05-2009, 06:53 PM

9,912 posts, read 13,903,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrstewart View Post
Well, there is the "silent treatment" which is a form of punishment and ostracizing someone....
Yeah, that one not ok.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrstewart View Post
...and there is a "cool down" period when one is angry and they do not want to speak out of anger....
That one ok by me!

Old 08-05-2009, 07:11 PM

9,230 posts, read 16,548,469 times
Taking time to cool off and letting the other know you need to is perfectly fine. It shows maturity and common sense, that the best time to talk is when you're calm and rational.

The silent treatment is a form of abuse. It is a cruel, cruel mind f*ck. Grinds my gears just thinking about it.

No, I would never, ever do that to anyone.

Old 08-05-2009, 07:13 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,952,004 times
Been there and done that. It happens in every dysfunctional hell hole environment, from family, to dating, to friendships, to college, and to the work place. I'm saying it is very probably to witness "the silent treatment" in any dysfunctional place or warped relationship, it's not exclusive to one on one situations. If it's a good place the people or person will not do that to you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepGirl118 View Post
I do not give it and whereas personal relationships are concerned this is my #1 pet peeve next to lying. I have little tolerance for passive-aggressive individuals and like to weed them out of my life as soon as possible.

It is very abusive.

The Silent Treatment - A severe form of abuse

Emotional Abuse is Mental Abuse: The Silent Treatment is a Weapon in Abusive Relationships | Suite101.com

The too common abusive silent treatment « Focus on the Family

Psychopath and Narcissist Survivors Support Group :: View topic - The Silent Treatment - A Form of Abuse

SilentTreatment

Old 08-05-2009, 07:16 PM

3,769 posts, read 8,802,427 times
It appears I am in the minority. I do give it. Sometimes I just dont feel like 'splaining and cant be bothered. So, I have nothing to say - until I do. Could be minutes, hours or days.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships