Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2009, 09:30 AM

28,895 posts, read 54,157,635 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burb View Post
I have a daughter around 16. The thought of adult strangers on the internet giving her relationship advice is creepy, sorry. Giving advice to a minor after reading a few paragraphs of hyperbole seems a bit irresponsible as well. Just my opinion FWIW.
Interesting. How is advising somebody to not leave their household to try and make it as a 16-year-old irresponsible? It's not like we're advising the OP on love, sex, or anything else. Sounds like we're doing the right thing here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2009, 11:38 AM

15,639 posts, read 41,038,202 times
Quote:
I have a daughter around 16. The thought of adult strangers on the internet giving her relationship advice is creepy, sorry. Giving advice to a minor after reading a few paragraphs of hyperbole seems a bit irresponsible as well. Just my opinion FWIW.
I have to wonder then, if you are so creeped out, why is it that after you got to the part of the OP's thread, where he states his age, you are still here - AND POSTING!!!

Should you not have left immediately, upon seeing the post is from a minor? I am assuming you are an adult.

Old 07-08-2009, 12:22 PM

10,214 posts, read 17,877,384 times
Quote:
And if your daughter was considering doing something that could potientally ruin her life and SHE went to a forum ASKING for advice, would you not be relieved that dozens of mature, responsible adults were advising her NOT to go through with it? Even if that advice wound out changing her mind and possibly saving her from making the biggest mistake of her life? Or would you rather no one replied and she went through with the decision to do something that could ruin her life?

Old 07-08-2009, 02:33 PM

532 posts, read 1,270,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PA2UK View Post
And if your daughter was considering doing something that could potientally ruin her life and SHE went to a forum ASKING for advice, would you not be relieved that dozens of mature, responsible adults were advising her NOT to go through with it? Even if that advice wound out changing her mind and possibly saving her from making the biggest mistake of her life? Or would you rather no one replied and she went through with the decision to do something that could ruin her life?
No offense but I don't know you, would I trust you or anyone else here to dispense advice to my daughter, solicited or not? Nope.

If my daughter posted a question on CD about an important life choice would I want you to steer her in the right direction or would I rather nobody respond? I appreciate our intentions but I would prefer no response, then maybe she would go to someone she knows and trusts for guidance, rather than strangers on the internet.

Old 07-08-2009, 02:35 PM

Quote:
No offense but I don't know you, would I trust you or anyone else here to dispense advice to my daughter, solicited or not? Nope.

If my daughter posted a question on CD about an important life choice would I want you to steer her in the right direction or would I rather nobody respond? I appreciate our intentions but I would prefer no response, then maybe she would go to someone she knows and trusts for guidance, rather than strangers on the internet.
But ya never know, do you?

The kid posted a question, so I guess the "nice" thing to do would be to ignore him? Tell me again, what planet are you from? I think the mothership has been circling Earth looking for you.

Old 07-08-2009, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twinkle Toes View Post
But ya never know, do you?

The kid posted a question, so I guess the "nice" thing to do would be to ignore him? Tell me again, what planet are you from? I think the mothership has been circling Earth looking for you.

How about dispensing this advise. "Speak with someone in your family, school or church that you trust. Strangers on the internet don't neccesarily have your best interest in mind."

It's called being a responsible parent and or adult, not encouraging a child to seek advice from strangers on the internet.

Perhaps I'll rethink my position, the next time a loved one needs advice I'll tell them to seek out "Twinkle Toes" on the internet. She will set you straight.

And look, I can make sarcastic smiley's too, yaaaay.

Old 07-08-2009, 02:54 PM

If our forum and the internet bother you so much, why are you here? You're the one who came in here with your pissy attitude. And yes, please DO refer your friends and family to me. I always appreciate the referral.

: o: eek:

Old 07-08-2009, 03:06 PM

As a matter of fact, Burb ... I believe I counseled your daughter earlier this week. Unfortunately, I think the thread was deleted. But rest assured, I gave her some excellent advice.

Old 07-08-2009, 03:18 PM

2,514 posts, read 4,954,564 times
Quote:
How about dispensing this advise. "Speak with someone in your family, school or church that you trust. Strangers on the internet don't neccesarily have your best interest in mind."

I can't say I necessarily disagree with this advice...except in the instance where an individual does not have someone in his or family, school or church that they feel they can trust. Were that not the case, I doubt Aaron would have come here. Sure there are 1000's of kids who complain about their parents without any real basis or justification. Just as there are 1000's out there who rightfully so want to stay as far away as possible from mom & dad. There are many that don't even have a mom or a dad.

Ann Landers didn't make her dough on the folks who had a ready source of smart advice. IMO, where youth is concerned, she dispensed most of her advice to kids who felt very much alone. Since we don't have the whole picture, I prefer to take OP at face value. Last week's local media had a piece about a pillar of the community. Among his many contributions to the community, he led a bible study camp & mountain treks for at-risk youth. He's in jail now - we can all guess what for - no need for me to go into detail. Wonder how many of those kids will ever be able to trust again.

Old 07-08-2009, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twinkle Toes View Post
As a matter of fact, Burb ... I believe I counseled your daughter earlier this week. Unfortunately, I think the thread was deleted. But rest assured, I gave her some excellent advice.
It appears I hit a nerve, you didn't get in a good enough jab with one you needed to post 2 in a row? Arguing with strangers on the internet is about as foolish as relying on their advice. Perhaps I will take my own advice and concede.

You win, I was petty and combative. Of course you are correct in your opinion. I was wrong.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships