Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2009, 11:54 AM

8,411 posts, read 39,264,921 times

Advertisements

I am the more ambitious one of our relationship. It works for me because I can pretty much do whatever I want and he is "cool" with it. LOL We are like ying and yang!
It would be nice if he was more ambitious with things...But I really like not having a control freak/judgement heavy person as the person I am with. Two alphas = murder! LOL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2009, 11:54 AM

10 posts, read 51,760 times
I dated a girl once who had no conception of the meaning of the word ambition. She had a full time job, so that was good. but if she wasn't at work, she was either watching movies or playing WoW. Drove me nuts. She wasn't even interested in sex! Needless to say, it didn't last long...

Old 07-20-2009, 11:56 AM

8,411 posts, read 39,264,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post
YES. I dated a guy for a while whose main ambition in life was to be the biggest and best weed dealer there was. He was cute, sweet and it was my fault for falling for it.

When I found out he had a full ride scholarship to a nearby university, but dropped out to sell weed, it was over. My current boyfriend may not have the best job, or a college degree (yet), but he has a ridiculous amount of ambition to get it all done

LOL....

Well I guess he had good sources because he must of been so freakin high when he thought that was a good idea!

Old 07-20-2009, 12:00 PM

1,581 posts, read 3,299,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skaught View Post
I dated a girl once who had no conception of the meaning of the word ambition. She had a full time job, so that was good. but if she wasn't at work, she was either watching movies or playing WoW. Drove me nuts. She wasn't even interested in sex! Needless to say, it didn't last long...
It drove me nuts too . But I guess it is partly my fault for picking someone like that in the first place .

Old 07-20-2009, 12:01 PM

44,259 posts, read 64,375,553 times
Yup...she was sweet, smart, well-traveled, gorgeous, funny, nice, treated me like royalty...

but she had no plan, no cares, no worries, and no responsibility to life or herself.

Eventually, that lack of understanding and respect between us (and our inability to reconcile it) drove us apart...it took a few years, but I have learned I can't deal with that kind of person. In the end, they will never understand a very essential part of my being.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitt_transplant View Post
I am the more ambitious one of our relationship. It works for me because I can pretty much do whatever I want and he is "cool" with it. LOL We are like ying and yang!
It would be nice if he was more ambitious with things...But I really like not having a control freak/judgement heavy person as the person I am with. Two alphas = murder! LOL
I don't think I've ever really dated an "alpha" guy before. Hmmm would be interesting.

19,112 posts, read 30,632,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pitt_transplant View Post

LOL....

Well I guess he had good sources because he must of been so freakin high when he thought that was a good idea!

That's what I thought. Especially considering I wanted to go to that University but had to settle for community college because of the expense. I was super pissed.

Also...it seems to me that there's a growing theme in this thread... weed smokers

Old 07-20-2009, 12:03 PM

551 posts, read 1,924,903 times
Dated? I am married to one. :x It is very frusterating. She could have been paid to go to college. She tried because I was forcing her. Well, each semester she flunked out. After a few years of here and there school, she finally just gave up. Which is what she wanted. No ambition to further herself.

She's been a housewife now for quite a few years. She sits on her butt all day and watches tv. If I would like a clean house, I have to clean it myself. Oh, she has a 15 year old and a 14 year old from a previous marriage. They keep the house 'picked up' for her when she asks. I ask and I get backtalk. She is quick to defend them. Housewife and no clean house. And she very rarely cooks. We eat out 29 days a week.

She doesn't want to work. She said when our youngest, now eight, starts school she would get a job. Then we wouldn't need daycare. Well, youngest is going into third grade now. She still sits on her butt all day and does nothing.

So one may think that she may be ambitious in her health/physical activity. Over the years I have quietly sat back and watched her gain about 100 pounds. She isn't even ambitious here.

Wow. I have just totally ragged on my wife. Uncool. I'm going to end this now. I'd delete this post, but it is nice to get something off of MY chest for once!

Old 07-20-2009, 12:05 PM

4,253 posts, read 9,454,385 times
This story/anecdote stuck forever with me (forgive me if I'm repeating myself, but it sums up nicely my thinking):

An MBA-educated CEO got abandoned somehow on this island.
He walked around and saw a man who would go out in his dinky boat every morning, catch enough fish for the day, and would spend the rest of the day laying in his hammock.
The MBA said, "Why don't we go in business together? We'll buy boats of the other fishermen and will have a little flotilla. We will catch more fish, sell it and make money."
The fisherman said, "And what are we going to do with this money?"
The MBA said, "We will buy out boats from all this archipelago, and then sell them and buy larger commercial boats. We will fish in bigger oceans and catch more and more fish and will be major players. We'll acquire other fishing companies, issue stock of our company, get richer still!"
The fisherman said, "And what will we do then?"
The MBA said, "We will sell our company, retire on a small island, and will be spending out days fishing a little in the morning, and spending the rest of the day doing nothing."
The fisherman said, "But I already am doing that."

Old 07-20-2009, 12:07 PM

FourOhFive - Wow, I would be pulling my hair out in that situation. I don't know what it is, but I guess I expect that if I am working hard, my partner should be as well. I don't plan on being a stay at home mom, but if I was I know I would be keeping myself very busy. I think I would go crazy if I didn't.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships