Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-25-2009, 03:19 PM

5,024 posts, read 8,904,862 times

Advertisements

He had a great live concert album. When I was 18 I used to carpool to the electronics factory (where we built one of the first personal computers) with the other long-haired hippies of the time and we'd listen to Jethro on cassette tape. In a rusty old Volkswagen, no less. We listened to that thing dozens of times!

Today, there'd be no patience for that. It would be the Random button.

Old 09-25-2009, 03:26 PM

12,940 posts, read 21,643,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cricket_factor View Post
He had a great live concert album. When I was 18 I used to carpool to the electronics factory (where we built one of the first personal computers) with the other long-haired hippies of the time and we'd listen to Jethro on cassette tape. In a rusty old Volkswagen, no less. We listened to that thing dozens of times!

Today, there'd be no patience for that. It would be the Random button.
Heh...if it's the live album I'm thinking of ("There seems to be a lot of young American's in the audience tonight..."), then yes - fantastic album. Those versions are what I always hear when I think of his work.

You had CASSETTES?!? Lucky dog.

I had 8-tracks. In a Dodge Dart. But yeah, the VW is much more authentic.

Old 09-25-2009, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SifuPhil View Post
Heh...if it's the live album I'm thinking of ("There seems to be a lot of young American's in the audience tonight..."), then yes - fantastic album. Those versions are what I always hear when I think of his work.

You had CASSETTES?!? Lucky dog.

I had 8-tracks. In a Dodge Dart. But yeah, the VW is much more authentic.
I betcha it's the same exact album.

And some guy today in his late fifties is busy painting and restoring a Dodge Dart somewhere as we type.

Old 09-25-2009, 03:42 PM

167 posts, read 478,973 times
Remembering periodically seeing a 20ft long pc of tape stringing in the wind across the road where somebody got ticked off having to untwist/rewind cassette tapes or one got hung in a player then broke and they pitched it out the window. Glad we don't have to mess with that now. I kept a pencil in my first car just for winding tape back onto a cassette.

Old 09-25-2009, 03:47 PM

37,702 posts, read 46,121,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smiling_nurse View Post
Remembering periodically seeing a 20ft long pc of tape stringing in the wind across the road where somebody got ticked off having to untwist/rewind cassette tapes or one got hung in a player then broke and they pitched it out the window. Glad we don't have to mess with that now. I kept a pencil in my first car just for winding tape back onto a cassette.
OMG! That SO brings back memories. HA! And yeah, I had a pencil too!

Old 09-25-2009, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cricket_factor View Post
I betcha it's the same exact album.
I think it was recorded in Italy - I remember the announcer at the beginning speaking in Italian *swoon*

Quote:
And some guy today in his late fifties is busy painting and restoring a Dodge Dart somewhere as we type.
LOL - bite your tongue! The Beast must NOT be resurrected!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by smiling_nurse
I kept a pencil in my first car just for winding tape back onto a cassette.
Yep, yep - I remember that! And when it was really hot or cold outside, the music would get all weird.

Old 09-25-2009, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smiling_nurse View Post
You would drive on freeways and see the forlorn cassette tapes streaming from bushes along the sides of the road...

Old 09-25-2009, 03:51 PM

2,514 posts, read 4,959,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SifuPhil View Post
In a Dodge Dart. But yeah, the VW is much more authentic.

LOL!! Seems like everyone had a Dodge Dart. I had one. Buttercream yellow with a worn cloth top. I named it Trad....
thought I was so clever...then realized almost everyone called their Dart Trad. Oh well, I was young.

Old 09-25-2009, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by piperspal View Post
LOL!! Seems like everyone had a Dodge Dart. I had one. Buttercream yellow with a worn cloth top. I named it Trad....
thought I was so clever...then realized almost everyone called their Dart Trad. Oh well, I was young.
They were great cars - tough, long-lasting and super easy to work on. Mine was what my friends named Baby Poop Brown.

Old 09-25-2009, 05:25 PM

37,702 posts, read 46,121,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by piperspal View Post
Not I. I had a Plymouth Duster.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.