Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: As a woman do you see a man that hunts animals as a turnoff?
Yes! 54 50.00%
No! 43 39.81%
unsure 11 10.19%
Voters: 108. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2009, 03:33 PM

13,608 posts, read 21,396,904 times

Advertisements

Ask this question to women of different countries and cultures and you would probably find most value it as a trait in a man as much as a Euro or American woman values a "go getter" "successful" man in the career dept.

The fact that a cube steak or pork chop is a store away and alot of women just buy them already prepared has led to this society where denial and "all is happy and lovely and pretty and cute" is now.

One natural or other type disaster away where no food is available either alot of people would die hungry and more interesting those women who look down on hunting as "uncivilized" would be flocking to hunters....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2009, 03:35 PM

6,304 posts, read 9,014,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
Only for the most hypocritical of liberal feminist women.

There is nothing more fundamental in terms of survival than a man (or woman) who can provide for their family.
LMAO. Seriously?

So, the guy who goes to Africa on "safari" and takes down some sort of giant boar, and proudly poses next to its carcass with a smile and his gun in hand should be lauded for it? I'd much prefer to have a man who provided for his family in other ways, and didn't feel the need to prove his masculinity by going on a trophy hunt. Because, in my experience, that "need for a trophy" many times extends beyond just the hunt of wild game.

Does that make me a hypocritical liberal feminist woman? Well, one out of four isn't bad, is it?

Old 07-30-2009, 03:48 PM

17,216 posts, read 57,085,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redisca View Post
Not an immediate turn-off, but I would be suspicious. I've seen too many men claim poetically that hunting brings them in touch with their masculine side and gives them a chance to exhibit courage, heroism, etc. Not all hunters express those ideas, but many do. I just don't see what's so heroic about going after a stupid, defenseless creature and cornering it with superior weapons and wrapped to the eyeballs in high-tech survival gear. I am not a PETA-sympathizer by a long shot, but in my view, anyone who feels he has to go out and kill a living creature in order to feel "manly", has got some serious issues.
You have a standing invitation to come dove hunting on our place next opening day September 1 2010. I'll loan you the superior shotgun of your choice. You can use my Ideal grade LC Smith - 12 GA on a 20 GA frame- if you want.

If you manage to limit out on doves - 10 birds - with 10 shots, well, you will be the first person I have ever seen do that.

Jose Ortega Y Gassat wrote an excellent book "Meditations on Hunting" that explains the true hunter's philosophical position on hunting perfectly.

With that said, yes, there are plenty of slob hunters out there, but I ain't one of them..and bringing birds home that still need to be dressed is slob hunting at it's worst for several reasons. As is drinking while the hunt is still on, poor gun handling (think Dick Cheney)....I could go on and on.

I saw a quote from Prince Charles from when the British tabloid press asked him a loaded question about a hunt he had been on - I'll paraphrase - but the Prince asked his tormentor if the journalist ate meat, which, of course he did. And then asked the bloke if he realized that the meat he ate came from a living creature, killed in a slaughterhouse by people who do that for pay. Well, OK, yes. So the Prince told the journo that his position that enjoying hunting for your own meat was wrong, but buying it in a store is OK, would be roughly equivalent to saying adultry is OK so long as you don't enjoy it, or are doing it for pay...

Don't take any of this as "flaming" you, on the contrary you are obviously more than intellegent enough to understand what real hunting is all about, but growing up/living in NYC you couldn't have been exposed to it. So many of the gals replying here are simply emotionally against hunting (and guns, apparently). They are entitled to their opinions of course, but unless they are hardcore vegans their philosophical position is inconsistent to say the least.

Last edited by M3 Mitch; 07-30-2009 at 04:41 PM.. Reason: add last paragraph

Old 07-30-2009, 03:54 PM

22,768 posts, read 30,737,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redisca View Post
Not an immediate turn-off, but I would be suspicious. I've seen too many men claim poetically that hunting brings them in touch with their masculine side and gives them a chance to exhibit courage, heroism, etc. Not all hunters express those ideas, but many do.
I don't know. In my experience, even with even the best hunters, I don't think courage and heroism are touted virtues. Going off into the wilderness alone requires some level of courage, about as much courage as you'd need to drive on the interstate. Once you're used to it, it is not really courageous anymore.

Most of my friends hunt because it is fun. They eat what they kill, because that is what they were taught to do. It is a moral issue. They also hunt to get away from the job, the wife/girlfriend, or whatever. They hunt so they can have an excuse to go sit alone in the woods and listen. You'd be surprised how sensitive these guys are about the whole thing, this is about as close as they get to spirituality.

There will always be rednecks who kill for trophies, who hunt on other peoples' land, who employ needlessly high technology to something that is supposed to be traditional. These people basically have no respect, they may in fact be a majority of hunters, but nonetheless not everyone thinks and behaves this way.

Old 07-30-2009, 03:55 PM

1,581 posts, read 3,299,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimboburnsy View Post
The armchair activist in a metropolitan condo sipping a machiatto and talking about fish and their feelings doesn't help anyone or anything. Its the people who load up their rifles, shotguns, dogs, rods, reels and tackle and get out into the weather to appreciate what happens outside that are willing to put in the time and the money to keep the outside the way it is (or make it better).
Is that why most of the predators have been killed off? Because we are trying to make things "better". Look Jimbo, you're wasting your time trying to convince me. I gave my opinion, you don't like it, fine. Find yourself a nice, burly woman who likes to go hunting with you (rods and shotgun included) and leave the rest of girls to our mochas and our talking about fish's feelings. Its win-win.

Old 07-30-2009, 04:02 PM

1,921 posts, read 5,622,558 times
My husband of twenty-eight years, (who passed away nine months ago), was a hunter, and I didn't have a problem with it. As a matter of fact, we sometimes went into the field together, (although I preferred fishing over hunting). My husband was a very ethical hunter, always making sure his shots were well-placed. He was one of those who did scout before the hunting season opened, practiced with his weapons, and abided by all the hunting regulations. He highly disapproved of those who did not employ such methods. Such people put a bad name on all hunters, which is unfortunate.

Someone mentioned "superior weapons, and being wrapped to the eyeballs in high-tech survival gear", and I had to laugh. Yes, my husband dressed in camouflage clothing, and used a rifle, a shotgun, or a bow, (depending on the time of the hunting season, and which area he was in), and even a tree climber, (living in the South, it's a common piece of equipment), but he came home empty-handed more often than not, just as most average hunters do. The percentage of successful hunters is actually relatively low. Folks need to remember that humans are in the animal's territory, and they are much more proficient than we are, in the wild. Animals are quite good at evading clumsy people. Humans are a long ways removed from the days of our ancient hunter ancestors, and have lost much of the skill that it takes to be successful in a hunt.

Frankly, one of the main reasons my husband hunted was simply to be outdoors. I lost count of the many times when he went hunting that he came home with stories of the pretty scenery he was in, or the animals that he saw, including the deer that passed under his climber, that he just got a kick out of seeing, and he never fired a shot. He enjoyed being outdoors, and in the fresh air, and he was not exactly the golfing, gardening, or jogging type. This was his way of enjoying nature, spending time with his friends, (or me, as the case might be), and communing with his Creator, regardless of whether or not he brought anything home. And, when he did bring something home, we enjoyed eating it, whether it was deer, squirrel, or whatever.

So, in answer to the OP, no, I don't find a man who hunts to be a turn-off, unless he is strictly a trophy hunter, (which I don't care for), or what we call a "slob hunter".

Old 07-30-2009, 04:13 PM

2,412 posts, read 5,084,618 times
I take an old man in a camoflage wheelchair and an oxygen tank out in the woods to "hunt". At no time are any living creatures except maybe mosquito's in jeapardy. By the time he could sight in a turkey or a deer they'd have died of old age. But we sit there and he reminices about his youth, spirituality, my latest relationship problem.

He goes with his sons once a year and they get a deer before he's even settled and they load him back up till next year. He's one of those guys that the spirit willing but the body won't cooperate. In all things...he's practically James Bond when it comes to women, except he can't do anything with them anymore.

For all the people worried about trespassing and drunken stuff, the woods are also full of these things called GAME COPS. Who seem almost worse than Barney Fife sometimes.

For every sport, hobby, enthusiam you will find people who do it for wrong reasons. I wish some women shoppers had to take a 5 hour safety course too! The proper use of a credit card, bag limits on ...well... handbags, shoes.

"Do you really need all 70 prs of shoes? Aren't they just "trophies"? Are you really going to wear all of them?

Old 07-30-2009, 04:25 PM

2,039 posts, read 3,280,243 times
It's all relative, I suppose, I wouldn't be immediately interested in a woman who is a vegetarian, but I wouldn't totally dismiss her based on that either.

I wish i could feed myself by hunting/fishing and gardening. It's far better for the environment, I think game tastes better than farm/ranch/feed lot raised animals and having the knowedge that i can provide for myself without relying on someone else to prep it for me is appealing. Of course, this isn't practical, so when i get home this evening I'll cook up my store bought fish, with a can of string beans and enjoy it.

Old 07-30-2009, 04:29 PM

2,932 posts, read 5,422,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuala View Post
I think Michael Moore needs to make a movie on the meat and poultry growing and processing plants. That is much worse than a hunter.
Not necessary. There's a movie in theatres right now called "Food, Inc." that covers all of the topics you mentioned, and more. Go see it...excellent movie.

http://www.foodincmovie.com/

Old 07-30-2009, 04:29 PM

3,860 posts, read 8,453,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
I don't know anyone who hunts and hates it. There's no reason anyone these days has to hunt, so it's a hobby. Some people just wouldn't have much in common with someone who would enjoy that type of hobby.
Well of course it's a hobby, but hunting can have a dual purpose. A lot of hunters do eat what they kill. Although my brother isn't a hunter, he is an excellent fisherman. Growing up I ate fresh fish all of the time, and when I mean fresh, I mean from the lake to the plate in the same day. Nothing, I mean nothing in the store can compare to that.

Not to mention all of the genetic engineering that's going on with our foods. Did you know that wild turkeys don't have nearly as much white meat as farm raised turkeys? I wouldn't be suprised if the same was true for other fowl.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships