Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-01-2009, 03:45 PM

19,046 posts, read 25,219,611 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Mmm...no, I would not date someone who wasn't college educated.
Stan, this thread has me wondering if people in similar fields gravitate towards one another. Do you think that's the case? That's taking it a step farther than general education. Most of the people I work with, for example, have mates in the sciences as well. Not all, of course, but a majority.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2009, 03:45 PM

52,349 posts, read 52,815,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
It's easy for an intellectual to "dumb" themselves down in order to hang out with the less educated, but unfortunately, it doesn't go the other way. A uneducated person is never going to be able to keep up with an intellectual person in conversation... not because they aren't able to, because they have no interest in more sophisticated topics. I'm talking about those who couldn't wait to get out of high school and become a working adult. People like these tend not to willing take adult ed courses or visit museums later on in order to expand their minds and horizons.

Again, why should you care what one individual woman thinks? Unless you are having problems getting a date, why get your panties in a twist?

Anyway, I don't see what the big deal if well educated women tend to prefer to have educated mates. It's a global phenomenon.

FuturePundit: Dearth Of Suitable Males For University Educated Japanese Women

And especially after reading the replies from men who decided it was best for them to not go on to college and even seem to resent and put down the people that did decide to get a college education. What happens when a blue collar man marries a college educated woman and they have kids? What if the blue collar husband tries to dissuade his kids from going on to college against the wishes of the college educated wife? And that would probably cause a huge family rift as there is a tendency for whole families to have generations of members having the same educational level. In my family, EVERYONE goes on to college, and my step dad took graduate level math courses after he retired. Now he has a second career that pays several times more than his first one.

Again, I will only date a man that I think is boyfriend and later on marriage/long term relationship material. And not only does he need to get along with me, I'd also like him to get along with my family. So if everyone in my family is intellectually and culturally geeky, my man needs to be on the same brain wavelength as the rest of us.
People can be well read and smart and not necessarily because some institution granted them a piece of paper.

Look at Thomas Edison. He had an insatiable curiosity about the world. Intelligence is one of those things that is hard to measure. IMHO.

There are a lot of forms of intelligence.

Just knowing facts about some subject doesn't mean intelligence to me. That in my opinion means you can memorize something.

For me some of the things that make someone intelligent is seeing patterns, thinking 2 or 3 steps ahead of a given problem seeing the big picture is another for me.

Just knowing about 13th century politics of a given nation or what time period this piece of art is from doesn't mean you're intelligent.

Old 08-01-2009, 03:47 PM
miu

17,770 posts, read 40,216,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by That-Guy View Post
Of course everyone should have the opportunity to go...that's not even in question. "the rule" thing is what I don't get. Many electricians and iron workers make 2 or 3 times what a teacher makes with no college education. I'm just saying, "the rule" may be messing with your dating life.
If given a choice between dating one of several men, what they make in wages is not going to be my first consideration. I'm not picking a guy to date because he happens to make more than any of the other possible potential dates.

And based on the workmen that have worked on my house or other houses I have some connection to, there is not one of them that I would consider dating, including the head contractors. I also have never been attracted to any of the building maintenance engineering guys I've encountered. And they don't age well either. The old ones all have beer guts.

^^^^ DISCLAIMER ALERT: Just my own personal observations, and I know that there are exceptions to every generalization, but I've just not seen an example of that yet. But maybe tomorrow...

Old 08-01-2009, 03:49 PM

1,255 posts, read 3,199,946 times
I find this interesting considering most around here are out of school and working at 14,much less college.

Well I dropped out of High School to go into the Service so I guess I'm not too much.

Its a wonder any women can find anyone with not liking Guys that didn't go to college or go hunting and fishing.

Oh I know lots of people that went to college including my wife that it didn't help them a bit.

hillman

Old 08-01-2009, 03:54 PM

8,777 posts, read 19,892,714 times
Maybe the OP should just administer an I.Q. test on all prospective beau's?

Old 08-01-2009, 03:56 PM

44,259 posts, read 64,453,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Braunwyn View Post
Stan, this thread has me wondering if people in similar fields gravitate towards one another. Do you think that's the case? That's taking it a step farther than general education. Most of the people I work with, for example, have mates in the sciences as well. Not all, of course, but a majority.

Hard to say. Both my wife and I were liberal arts majors in college, but she's done an MBA (finance/accounting) and I've done an MD...so we've both gravitated towards 'hard science/math' careers, but we both enjoy arts, culture, and read a TON...

I'm attracted to really high-achieving people (tops in their field types) who are also well-read and well-traveled/worldly/sophisticated. Most college grads already aren't going to meet that criteria...but someone who has never been stands very little chance. (Yeah, yeah...not impossible, but unlikely.)

What's interesting about what you say is that the people I've been in serious relationships with who were pure liberal arts (and quite genius at it (perfect SATs, PhDs, etc) in fact) always seemed too...I don't know...almost a little too flakey for my taste when it came to real life. Vs the science/engineer types, who have seemed much more capable. Probably just coincidence, but something I have noticed.

Old 08-01-2009, 04:02 PM

113 posts, read 235,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepGirl118 View Post
All college says about someone, all and all, is that they can work in a structured environment and may have an advanced numeracy skill. Period. It does not define ones intelligence.

I know highly self-educated men and women (even a couple that dropped out of High School) and they had acquired their intelligence and worldly knowledge by means of travel, through their own research, having lived in places most only dream of visiting, an intelligent social circle, etc . . . and not one did a single credit hour. They are absolutely fascinating to talk to and socialize with. Their proper response to "I don't know" is "let's find out."

Intelligence does not equal formal education. Education is learning something you did not know, hence whether you taught yourself, had someone teach you or just read a manual you are still learning which means you are educating yourself. College does not make a person, it's what they learn that makes a person.

Because intelligence isn't inbred, you don't just wake up and know how to do something - you had to learn how to do it.

So. .

Education (albeit, self taught or a college education) does most certainly equal intelligence, either way.

I know formally educated individuals w/ advanced degrees, that if you were to put them into an everyday situation - they just do not function well. Zero street smarts.

A sheepskin does not determine a person's ability, or whether they succeed or fail. Intelligence is how well your mind processes and deals with information and concepts.

To use a computer analogy, intelligence is your processor and RAM (speed and capacity of information manipulation) and knowledge is the information accumulated on the hard drive.

You can take an illiterate person with an exceptionally high IQ and they would be able to learn to read and write fairy easy. Take another illiterate person - but with an exceptionally low IQ, and they won't be able to assimilate and retain the same information.

Personally, given the depth of ideological indoctrination and politically correct crap posing as education these days, I respect someone who seeks knowledge for its own sake much more than someone who does so for a parchment to hang on their wall.
I could not agree more.

Old 08-01-2009, 04:04 PM

52,349 posts, read 52,815,472 times
Quote:
All college says about someone, all and all, is that they can work in a structured environment and may have an advanced numeracy skill. Period. It does not define ones intelligence.

I know highly self-educated men and women (even a couple that dropped out of High School) and they had acquired their intelligence and worldly knowledge by means of travel, through their own research, having lived in places most only dream of visiting, an intelligent social circle, etc . . . and not one did a single credit hour. They are absolutely fascinating to talk to and socialize with. Their proper response to "I don't know" is "let's find out."

Intelligence does not equal formal education. Education is learning something you did not know, hence whether you taught yourself, had someone teach you or just read a manual you are still learning which means you are educating yourself. College does not make a person, it's what they learn that makes a person.

Because intelligence isn't inbred, you don't just wake up and know how to do something - you had to learn how to do it.

So. .

Education (albeit, self taught or a college education) does most certainly equal intelligence, either way.

I know formally educated individuals w/ advanced degrees, that if you were to put them into an everyday situation - they just do not function well. Zero street smarts.

A sheepskin does not determine a person's ability, or whether they succeed or fail. Intelligence is how well your mind processes and deals with information and concepts.

To use a computer analogy, intelligence is your processor and RAM (speed and capacity of information manipulation) and knowledge is the information accumulated on the hard drive.

You can take an illiterate person with an exceptionally high IQ and they would be able to learn to read and write fairy easy. Take another illiterate person - but with an exceptionally low IQ, and they won't be able to assimilate and retain the same information.

Personally, given the depth of ideological indoctrination and politically correct crap posing as education these days, I respect someone who seeks knowledge for its own sake much more than someone who does so for a parchment to hang on their wall.
What she said.

Old 08-01-2009, 04:19 PM

72,437 posts, read 18,215,482 times
After a while,the male macho issue will come up. He will feel less superior than the woman.He may not say it out loud but he may feel less than the woman.

Old 08-01-2009, 04:22 PM

17,645 posts, read 22,680,836 times
Quote:

So. .

Very Well Said, Beautiful.................
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships