Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-06-2010, 05:26 AM

994 posts, read 1,682,182 times

Advertisements

You guys know whats funny...I noticed that a lot of the people who don't want kids..are the ones who should be having them..as they seem responsible in terms of finances, housing, education and a few other traits.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2010, 05:29 AM

994 posts, read 1,682,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WFW&P View Post
You're not the first to say that about docs not wanting to perform the surgery. Though the doctor that performed mine gave me a expression when I told him I didn't want any kids he did perform the procedure as requested.
Some of the doctors seem to have this misguided notion that somehow a young man may change his mind later on in life. I understand that some do, but from what I have researched, it is a rather small % compared to those who are content and happy with their vasectomy. This really seems to effect men between the ages of 18 and 30.

Old 01-06-2010, 08:38 AM

19,642 posts, read 12,231,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by penguin_kernel View Post
You guys know whats funny...I noticed that a lot of the people who don't want kids..are the ones who should be having them..as they seem responsible in terms of finances, housing, education and a few other traits.
Plenty of responsible people are having kids too and they actually want them.

Old 01-06-2010, 08:47 AM

9,912 posts, read 13,903,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrstewart View Post
And I want to clarify this...just because I have children does not mean I like ALL children. Actually, there is a good chance I am not fond of 20-30% of the kids I meet but I will watch more carefully as to produce more accurate figures for inquiring minds

SO as I expected the truth comes out in the end....

It's not KIDS that people (either parents or Childfree folks) have issue with it's OTHER PEOPLE'S KIDS!

Old 01-06-2010, 01:08 PM

2,654 posts, read 5,466,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by penguin_kernel View Post
Some of the doctors seem to have this misguided notion that somehow a young man may change his mind later on in life. I understand that some do, but from what I have researched, it is a rather small % compared to those who are content and happy with their vasectomy. This really seems to effect men between the ages of 18 and 30.
Peoples life circumstances & outlook change.

I have 2 relatives that both swore up and down they would never have kids. Both have them now. One even divorced her first husband because he stuck to wanting to be childfree and she had a change of heart.

There are other means of staying child free short of surgical alteration. Until you are firmly in a long term relationship and many miles down the path of a child-free happily ever after, it does'nt make sense to close the door & lock it.

Old 01-06-2010, 01:20 PM

2,654 posts, read 5,466,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WFW&P View Post
How conceited & self righteous.
As if one who chose not to be a parent couldn't be a better person?
I would never say that a childfree person can't be as good of a person as a parent.

However, I will say they that an individual who does not experience parenting is missing out on one of the core human experiences and probably will leave some of their personal potentail untapped. They can develop other parts of themself and grow in other ways, but parenting is a unique experience that develops certain aspects of a persons charachter and personality that other experiences can not replicate.

Old 01-06-2010, 01:27 PM

19,642 posts, read 12,231,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OC Investor2 View Post
I would never say that a childfree person can't be as good of a person as a parent.

However, I will say they that an individual who does not experience parenting is missing out on one of the core human experiences and probably will leave some of their personal potentail untapped. They can develop other parts of themself and grow in other ways, but parenting is a unique experience that develops certain aspects of a persons charachter and personality that other experiences can not replicate.
One could say that about finding religion. Still doesn't make it true for everyone.

Old 01-06-2010, 01:28 PM

1,549 posts, read 2,583,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OC Investor2 View Post
parenting is a unique experience that develops certain aspects of a persons charachter and personality that other experiences can not replicate.
I've heard that going to prison and doing time can do this as well. I still don't plan to go.

Old 01-06-2010, 01:35 PM

1,549 posts, read 2,583,778 times
I can honestly say that short of a terminal illness for me or my husband or a catastrophic disaster like one of us ending up a quadrapalegic or severly brain damaged, the words "you are pregnant" are the worst things I can imagine happening to me. People won't like that, but its true.

Old 01-06-2010, 01:46 PM

118 posts, read 290,031 times
Default Kids

I have a son, love him very much, will do anything for him. But looking at how screwed up the world is, finding myself as if I brought him into a world without a tomorrow. Find myself thinking, WHY, did I ever have a child. Oh well I will do the best I can to make his life as great as I can. I think theres more who think as I do!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships