Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2009, 08:20 AM

9,230 posts, read 16,548,469 times

Advertisements

I went through some email I exchanged with a particular gent, due to something he said yesterday that he repeated several times, in various ways, before. The comment this time was "I am not perfect, but I am still extraordinary by today's standards.". His other statements were:

"I have yet to find a woman who can measure up to my expectations."

"I'm a good looking man, it's not a matter of desperation, so I can wait for our schedules to come together."

"Not many people can afford to be choosey. I am fortunate in that regard."

There were others, I just wanted to give a few examples.

He is intelligent, educated, well spoken, mannerly, assertive and, from what I have gathered, has much to be proud of in the way of his accomplishments. I respect anyone who knows their worth and what they have to offer. I don't think what he is saying is unreasonable if you step back and look at it as being plain fact. It makes me smile; how can I not be happy for him? I'm just not sure I'd verbalize it so much. But he has a much bolder, matter-of-fact personality than I do.

What are your thoughts? Is it too much, even if it is true?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2009, 08:23 AM

5,077 posts, read 14,645,493 times
In my humble opinion, confidence is quiet and is never spoken and conceit is like a loudmouthed little kid begging for attention. Sorry but this guy may be all of the above listed things but he's conceited and arrogant.

Old 09-09-2009, 08:26 AM

14,229 posts, read 30,038,208 times
Too much for me even if it's all understated. Even if he's better than advertised. I probably would breathe a sigh of relief when I failed to meet his high expectations.

Old 09-09-2009, 08:27 AM

2,412 posts, read 7,178,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PassTheChocolate View Post
I went through some email I exchanged with a particular gent, due to something he said yesterday that he repeated several times, in various ways, before. The comment this time was "I am not perfect, but I am still extraordinary by today's standards.". His other statements were:

"I have yet to find a woman who can measure up to my expectations."

"I'm a good looking man, it's not a matter of desperation, so I can wait for our schedules to come together."

"Not many people can afford to be choosey. I am fortunate in that regard."

There were others, I just wanted to give a few examples.

He is intelligent, educated, well spoken, mannerly, assertive and, from what I have gathered, has much to be proud of in the way of his accomplishments. I respect anyone who knows their worth and what they have to offer. I don't think what he is saying is unreasonable if you step back and look at it as being plain fact. It makes me smile; how can I not be happy for him? I'm just not sure I'd verbalize it so much. But he has a much bolder, matter-of-fact personality than I do.

Sounds like a bit much but I think you'd have to meet him and get a feel for the situation to really know. The line between confidence and conceit can be thin and given that many women are attracted to men who are especially confident, it's not unreasonable to err on the side of being a bit cocky. A thing to look out for would be how he treats others -- you, his friends and family, the wait staff, the person behind the counter, etc.

Old 09-09-2009, 08:33 AM

26,142 posts, read 31,189,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andreaspercheron View Post
In my humble opinion, confidence is quiet and is never spoken and conceit is like a loudmouthed little kid begging for attention. Sorry but this guy may be all of the above listed things but he's conceited and arrogant.
I agree. I don't think there is anything more attractive about a person than 'quiet confidence' -less said, best said. Knowing who you are and having a sense of direction need not be loud and obnoxious.

Old 09-09-2009, 08:35 AM

3,337 posts, read 7,121,439 times
If you're truly confident, you don't have to voice it every 5 seconds. People will know you're confident based on how you carry yourself. Facts speak for themselves.

Old 09-09-2009, 08:48 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,737,789 times
Quote:
I busted out laughing when I read: "I am not perfect, but I am still extraordinary by today's standards.."

That's so obnoxious. I wouldn't hang out with anyone who said those sorts of things.

I envision him as a ticking time-bomb, one Sunday morning you wake up and he's in the fetal position on your bathroom floor, wearing your makeup and clothes, crying, repeating to himself that he's a pretty flower. Or maybe I just have an overactive imagination.

Old 09-09-2009, 08:50 AM

5,501 posts, read 22,451,384 times
Quote:

If it is true, you don't need to say it.

Old 09-09-2009, 09:12 AM

9,230 posts, read 16,548,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubber_factory View Post
I envision him as a ticking time-bomb, one Sunday morning you wake up and he's sitting on the bathroom floor, wearing your makeup and clothes, crying to himself that he's a pretty flower. Or maybe I just have an overactive imagination.
LOL...you never, ever know.

Thanks to those who responded. I agree that confidence is quiet; that was my first reaction. I also think there are times when making a similar statement is done in response to a misconception or even to establish or enforce boundaries. I don't think it's bad, if the conversation calls for it. But to seek out every opportunity, yah, I agree it is a tad much.

Do any of you think what he said could apply to you? Quiet confidence aside, I have no doubt it does for some of you.

I tend to look for the upside as often as possible, and I really do enjoy talking to him. But I wouldn't have posted this if I didn't recognize the excess.

Old 09-09-2009, 09:20 AM

26,142 posts, read 31,189,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthsideJacksonville View Post
If you're truly confident, you don't have to voice it every 5 seconds. People will know you're confident based on how you carry yourself. Facts speak for themselves.
Sort of goes along the line of the louder a person talks the less they know.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships