Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2009, 12:20 PM

29,747 posts, read 34,396,829 times

Advertisements

Quote:
I find it hilarious when people compare their number IQ to their intellect when the two although related really don't go hand-in-hand.
I've heard people brag about their SAT scores long after they've graduated from college. Standardized test scores don't really prove intelligence; they prove aptitude in taking standardized tests.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2009, 12:21 PM

16,077 posts, read 28,561,936 times
Your not disguising yourself well Weekend.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brainy Intellectual Type View Post
I call myself a brainy intellectual type on this board because it is true. When I was in high School and College, I got straight A's without trying very hard. I score very high in aIQ test. I had great SAT and GRE scores. Up to recently I worked in an academic environment in research. I am usually the smartest woman in the room.

I find in general people do not like smart women or men. The most popular kids are usually into beer, sports and carrying on. That seems to be the case in the adult world also. I run into very few people who really follow current events or read non fiction books. Most people are intellectually lazy and uninterested.

If you were looking for a friend or a spouse, would you want the smartest person in the room or someone who is just about average? What do you think about brainy intellectual types?

(This question is not about me or my silly questions or posts, just the concept of friendships with really smart people)

Old 10-16-2009, 12:23 PM

4,253 posts, read 9,454,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by virgode View Post
Oh my goodness. Not again.

Old 10-16-2009, 12:36 PM

10,172 posts, read 20,784,725 times
I like balance...not too smart, not too dumb. Smart enough to get the jokes, not so smart that she can't enjoy some of the less sophisticated humor and pleasures in life.

Old 10-16-2009, 01:05 PM

20,728 posts, read 19,367,499 times
Quote:
I call myself a brainy intellectual type on this board because it is true. When I was in high School and College, I got straight A's without trying very hard. I score very high in a IQ test. I had great SAT and GRE scores. Up to recently I worked in an academic environment in research. I am usually the smartest woman in the room.

I find in general people do not like smart women or men. The most popular kids are usually into beer, sports and carrying on. That seems to be the case in the adult world also. I run into very few people who really follow current events or read non fiction books. Most people are intellectually lazy and uninterested.

If you were looking for a friend or a spouse, would you want the smartest person in the room or someone who is just about average? What do you think about brainy intellectual types?

(This question is not about me or my silly questions or posts, just the concept of friendships with really smart people)
Greeting BIT,

There are two brainy types in my experience. I hated high school because I was bored and didn't always finish my home work. It was anti-intellectual for me. Study a subject 50 minutes and have a bell ring for another 50 minutes for another detour. Many intellectual people I met had the same problem. Some people played in the system and others used it organically.
I think ultimately it is wise to work the system but when interacting with people you need to peel the pages out of the text books and use it organically. If you have quoted 3 dead people in the last hour you have a problem for Abraham Lincoln said :
A capacity and taste for reading gives access to whatever has already been discovered by others.
However it is also true that some people are not motivated to learn and cannot keep up and feel inadequate or don't care. I really don't care for the one who must be the big dog intellectually either. I remember this Brit who couldn't keep up. It did not even occur to him why a merchant empire made use of a base 12 number system and instead of learning something, he was more worried about his brainy ego. Some Anglophile he was. I am very comfortable in a room with people more brilliant than I am. I do it all the time.

Old 10-16-2009, 01:10 PM

24,645 posts, read 38,655,954 times
A hot nerd (especially one with a nice, athletic body) is the ultimate friend, companion, mate and sex partner.

Old 10-16-2009, 01:13 PM

12,974 posts, read 33,962,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by virgode View Post
LMAO. OP is "BUSTED".

Old 10-16-2009, 01:15 PM

73 posts, read 117,783 times
Quote:
I know many very intelligent (high IQ) academically gifted people who hate learning and only go to school because they have to and have no interest about anything beyond the scores of a football game.

I agree, intellectual snobs are a real bore also. But I like the type of person who does well on the TV Show "Jeopardy" vs Jerry Springer.
jeopardy is a test of memory not intelligence

Old 10-16-2009, 01:20 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,170,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason28 View Post
I want someone who is intelligent but not to the point where they over analyze everything or don't have an active imagination. Its also a turnoff when they avoid having fun and just attempt to further their mental conglomerate of knowledge by reading and studying things. There needs to be a point in between where they are smarter than average, but also enjoy all the fun stuff of normal life. Sophistication at times, and at others they get dirty. I also don't like it when very intelligent women attempt to put up some type of pride shield to make themself feel more important than everyone else, what a turnoff.
Since I agree with you, I attempted to save you from 666 land, but I repped you no long ago and I can't. Somebody (not too brainy and not with too high IQ ) please help the poor guy out!

Old 10-16-2009, 01:23 PM

1,384 posts, read 1,932,175 times
Quote:
What do you think about brainy intellectual types?
Show me a non-brainy intellectual type, or a non-intellectual brainy type, and then we'd really have something . . .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships