Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2009, 07:33 AM

3,993 posts, read 8,926,902 times

Advertisements

yes.
i first met my g/f through an internet forum, through a shared interest.

we posted a little to each other, and i thought she was cool. funny, and smart.

we met a couple of times briefly, but didn't really talk much, then she offered to caar-share to a weekend social event.
we spent most of that weekend (and the 14 hour round trip in the car) just talking, and bonding. the connection was instant.

i'd say i was in love with her by the time we got back.
we continued to see each other for a couple of months before getting together formally.

2 and a half years later, we're together, and although she's having some personal dramas at the moment, we're holding on.

however, i feel no different. i have known from that first weekend that she had potential to be "the one"
i still hope i'm right !!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2009, 07:40 AM

11,087 posts, read 17,542,940 times
We met through 2 different online personal sites. That should have been a sign right there! lol We talked online and on the phone for several months. It took me that long just to go out on a date. She was raised by her grandmother who brought her up thinking its wrong to date a man younger than you (I'm 6 yrs younger). After about our third date she told me she's glad Grandma wasn't alive to see her going out with a younger man, but she was also glad she went out with me. Yes there was sex involved, but there was also a lot of talking. We got married a little over a year later and will celebrate our 8th anniversary in December. We've both been married twice before and both agree that the third time's the charm!

Old 10-24-2009, 07:47 AM

3,382 posts, read 4,080,860 times
Lets see, started dating...
6 days later told her I was going to marry her, she told me I was crazy
1 month later engaged
3 months later married
8 years later, still as happy as day one.

Old 10-24-2009, 07:57 AM

37,617 posts, read 45,996,704 times
Hmmmm. Actually, the night my ex-husband and I met, he told his best friend that he was going to marry me. Yeesh. I forgot about that one.

Old 10-24-2009, 08:33 AM

6,259 posts, read 14,676,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobman View Post
yes.
i first met my g/f through an internet forum, through a shared interest.

we posted a little to each other, and i thought she was cool. funny, and smart.

we met a couple of times briefly, but didn't really talk much, then she offered to caar-share to a weekend social event.
we spent most of that weekend (and the 14 hour round trip in the car) just talking, and bonding. the connection was instant.

i'd say i was in love with her by the time we got back.
we continued to see each other for a couple of months before getting together formally.

2 and a half years later, we're together, and although she's having some personal dramas at the moment, we're holding on.

however, i feel no different. i have known from that first weekend that she had potential to be "the one"
i still hope i'm right !!
Not to be rude but how long will the audition be going on?
Sometimes the marriage fosters the commitment IMO

Old 10-24-2009, 08:38 AM

4,253 posts, read 9,453,396 times
I had these feelings of "I can spend the rest of my life with him" mostly in my younger years. When it didn't work out, it was painful, because I DID intend to spend my lifetime with him?

As I grew older, those feelings became few and between.

And the very same person who is going to put up with me to the rest of his days - it started absolutely blah. I did not have any feelings whatsoever at the beginning. It grew up on me, and now I can't believe it - either I was blind, or those instant feelings are chimeras.

So it happened sort of the other way around.

Old 10-24-2009, 09:29 AM

3,993 posts, read 8,926,902 times
that doesn't really matter ?
it's not a thread about whether it faded.
it's a thread about if you've felt it in the first place.

FYI, she's a vicim of domestic violence, so the audition will take as long as it takes.
we're making progress, but got a ways to go.
if it weren't for that complication, we'd be peachy.
i love her, so i gotta be willing to understand, and wait for her.

Quote:
Originally Posted by seven of nine View Post
Not to be rude but how long will the audition be going on?
Sometimes the marriage fosters the commitment IMO

Old 10-24-2009, 10:11 AM

1,777 posts, read 4,859,599 times
yes...

i met a girl one time, online actually, and we spoke for 7 hours the first night and about 5 hours each night for a week thereafter.. was a very strong connection, i would have liked to pursue it, however i was 17 and she was 23 and in law school, i was nobody to hold her back, we remained friends for a while, then she disappeared after i was without the web and changed phones over a 6 month period... probably better for it, im married and happy now!

Old 10-24-2009, 10:29 AM

3,849 posts, read 9,423,988 times
I had a ridiculiously intense connection with a guy I met on an online chatroom. We talked online for a few hours every day for a couple of weeks. Our first phone call was extremely awkward, but I liked him even more once I heard his sexy Boston accent (thinking about it still makes me tingle to this day). After just a few short weeks of talking, he mentioned meeting. Fast forward 4 months, and there I am--standing in the terminal at Sky Harbor airport in Phoenix, trying to pick him out in a sea of travelers. I looked down for a split second to check my phone (to see if he'd texted or called) and I hear this "Hey" in a sexy Boston accent. I threw my arms around him and practically squeezed him to death. We had a GREAT week, and I REALLY loved having someone to do things with, since most of my friends only hang out with me when it's convenient for them--which is never. I cried the entire way home from the airport when he left (and I'm not really a crier), but long story short--it didn't work out. He was just a little too odd for me, and his past drug and alcohol abuse kind of haunted me while we were conversing. He ended up crashing and going back to all his old habits. It's good I decided to let him go, even though it was one of the hardest things I've ever had to do. I don't know if I'll ever feel that intense connection again.

Old 10-24-2009, 10:48 AM

371 posts, read 894,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAtheBanker View Post
once I heard his sexy Boston accent
I'm from Boston and this is the first time I've ever heard the Boston accent called "sexy".
Maybe I should've kept mine...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships