Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2009, 01:54 PM

9,230 posts, read 16,548,469 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury Cougar View Post
Honestly it means very little to me. I've always found that if I act as if I expect to be treated equally by men, then I am. Of course, there are always guys that will treat women as if they're lesser human beings than men, but those are the same kind of guys who find things to mistreat anyone over. As far as things like equal treatment in the job go, I can only recall once in my 47 years that I know for a fact I was being discriminated against because I was female. So...I don't think much either way about feminism. If a guy wants to open a door for me, good on him, but it may be me that opens the next door and holds it for him; I don't even think about it. I don't think twice about grabbing the dinner bill, either, or paying for the movie tickets. It's just a matter of who gets their hands on it first. *shrug*
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
I don't consider myself a "feminist" simply because the word has such negative connotations. Using the definition, it doesn't truly apply to me as I am not actively involved in any movement that focuses on "analyzing gender inequality and the promotion of women's rights, interests, and issues".

Now, if I am treated unfairly, or I see someone else treated unfairly, then I'm gonna raise a stink. But I'd do that whether the person was a guy OR a gal. And though I usually hang my legs on the conservative side of the fence, I totally believe women should have access to safe abortions (within time limits of course). Please no flaming there - I just brought that up as it is typically a "feminist" point of view. So I don't consider myself a feminist, but I do agree on the idea of equal rights. That is simply being treated equally, and I think everyone wants that for themselves, no matter what gender/group you belong to.
This is me in a nutshell. And you both nailed it, for me. These are things I don't think about in the day to day. I would be considered a feminist, not for the movement or the cause, it's just the way I live. Knowing this and reading the generalizations that I know don't apply to me or anyone who lives this way inspired this thread.

For example, the "you people wanted equality, pay for your own dinner." claim - I didn't realize that a man paying for dinner made me any less equal. It never crossed my mind. Holding the door for me doesn't disqualify me from paying the check. It is baffling how some of these men would find it completely acceptable to not open the door, pull back a chair AND, to top it off, pass over the check after they did the inviting. Equally as appalling are the women who refuse to let any man pay for their meal because they can "support" themselves. As if a meal paid the bills.

I'm also a huge fan of the SAHM. I don't see it as diminishing or oppressive, in fact, I think there should be more of them out there. I think that women should provide for their families at home. I absolutely LOVE the responsibility of making sure he does not have to lift a finger to be comfortable after work.

So, in as much as I take advantage of men, I am also willing to serve them - as far as the absolutists go. I must be one really confused chick.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2009, 01:56 PM

20,728 posts, read 19,367,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lycanmaster View Post
Feminism is an idealogy propagated primarily by privileged, upper-middle class white women...

Nuff said...

Hi Lycanmaster,

I could not agree more. Men pay the gender price at the bottom and woman pay for it at the top. The average woman rallies around the alpha males while the alpha females look on in frustration as women and men don't follow them. Women made the Beatles what they were. Nobody cares about the men on the bottom. They can die in sewer, on a beach or get fried on a power line and its just a normal thing. That is why more boys are born than girls. So its easy to predict where the noise comes from and it is a real barrier high status women cannot seem to cross and it ticks them off.

Old 10-25-2009, 02:20 PM

20,728 posts, read 19,367,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PassTheChocolate View Post

I agree, though I believe class was also a factor, not the factor.

Hi PassTheChocolate,

I have posted this before and even the one just above. In order to solve this equation you cannot look only in the higher classes. Women pay the price of their gender at the top while the men pay at the bottom.

In breeding the top stud males are always worth the most. A top female simply cannot compete with a top male who can out breed her. However the average female can still breed with top males. Thus the next most valuable creature is the female with a reliable reproductive commodity. The most worthless creature is a low status male. They are ground beef. Even women always seem to choose kings over queens. How many times do I hear women say they prefer a male boss?

Just how worthless are low status males? It depends on how much polygamy exists. You will find them in bachelor packs of lions, elephants, apes and the like. Its feast or famine. How often have we heard about the lucky male lions? The thing missing is they last 2-3 years in a pride and then they are gone. Humans are only a little polygamous thus the low status male is despised but not completely shut out unless they are at the very bottom. They historically went into the army or some other disposable high risk duty.

So the problem woman had was real but not entirely without compensation.

Old 10-25-2009, 03:13 PM

16,077 posts, read 28,561,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lycanmaster View Post
Feminism is an idealogy propagated primarily by privileged, upper-middle class white women...

Nuff said...
This is my feeling too. When I think about Feminism this is the category
of women that come to mind for me, with the exception of pay, I have a feeling its of little importance to them as well.

Old 10-25-2009, 03:20 PM

52,282 posts, read 52,700,922 times
Short hair and comfortable shoes.

Old 10-25-2009, 10:32 PM

9,846 posts, read 22,679,821 times
Feminism to me is a far left attitude espousing that women are superior to men. If you listen to the radical NOW group that's all they'll say. Any militant feminists I have come across have made themselves up as unattractive so it is probably good they have taken themselves out of the gene pool.

In terms of the whole pay for dinner deal, what it comes down to me in the grand scheme of things is equality. Today I paid for various people for both lunch and dinner, but they also do things for me as well. So a "relationship" exists in which there is give and take.

A relationship that is all take, take, take, then no relationship exists and as an American man I can vouch for the fact there are many lazy women out there now that expect the man to set up all the dates, pay for them, call them, email them, give them gifts, but they offer nothing in return.

Old 10-25-2009, 10:58 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,170,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanneroo View Post
A relationship that is all take, take, take, then no relationship exists and as an American man I can vouch for the fact there are many lazy women out there now that expect the man to set up all the dates, pay for them, call them, email them, give them gifts, but they offer nothing in return.
Well, the give/take process has to be started by somebody and it's best if it's started the traditional way. Otherwise you end up with frustrated hens and roosters arguing if the chicken or the egg came first and nothing good appears to be coming out of that.

Old 10-25-2009, 10:59 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,952,004 times
Every time I hear about feminism I get the idea of man-hating catty uptight women that are trying to rule the planet earth with their <cough cough>

I think women go to this extreme because they were abused or treated like nothing by the men in their lives. I feel sorry for those women but I don't care much for feminism.

Quote:
Feminism to me is a far left attitude espousing that women are superior to men. If you listen to the radical NOW group that's all they'll say. Any militant feminists I have come across have made themselves up as unattractive so it is probably good they have taken themselves out of the gene pool.

In terms of the whole pay for dinner deal, what it comes down to me in the grand scheme of things is equality. Today I paid for various people for both lunch and dinner, but they also do things for me as well. So a "relationship" exists in which there is give and take.

Old 10-25-2009, 11:45 PM

9,846 posts, read 22,679,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
Well, the give/take process has to be started by somebody and it's best if it's started the traditional way. Otherwise you end up with frustrated hens and roosters arguing if the chicken or the egg came first and nothing good appears to be coming out of that.
Sure that is fine with me. I think I'm experienced enough to see users from a distance.

Old 10-26-2009, 09:47 AM

29,747 posts, read 34,396,829 times
Quote:
Feminism to me is a far left attitude espousing that women are superior to men.
Quote:
Originally Posted by artsyguy View Post
Every time I hear about feminism I get the idea of man-hating catty uptight women that are trying to rule the planet earth with their <cough cough>

I think women go to this extreme because they were abused or treated like nothing by the men in their lives. I feel sorry for those women but I don't care much for feminism.
It surprises me, and yet doesn't surprise me that there are people out there who think this way about feminism. Like others have mentioned before, to me feminism is the idea that women are half of the population, not second-class citizens.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships