Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2009, 07:56 AM

1,086 posts, read 3,361,280 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunil's Dad View Post
And you should care what other people think?
For the people that are close to me, yes I do care. But being in a mixed relationship is sometimes an inconvenience when people give you a hard time or make you feel uncomfortable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2009, 07:59 AM

24,645 posts, read 38,660,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eger View Post
For the people that are close to me, yes I do care. But being in a mixed relationship is sometimes an inconvenience when people give you a hard time or make you feel uncomfortable.

Dunno what to tell you. If I were in a mixed relationship, I really could give a damn about what others would think. Do they pay your bills or take care of you physically or emotionally? Are you happy with your SO? Then what they think should not matter at all.

Old 10-27-2009, 07:59 AM

2,702 posts, read 6,031,091 times
I'm black & I can understand how you're feeling. My last boyfriend was East Indian & people always stared at us, however try not to worry about it. Life is too short to care about what others think.

Old 10-27-2009, 08:00 AM

3,860 posts, read 8,454,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYchi View Post
It could also be the PDA, we are very affectionate in public and I guess if you add the 'racial' factor as well.
Or it could just be the PDA.

Old 10-27-2009, 08:23 AM

8,262 posts, read 18,489,494 times
Just look at it like youre starting a new trend. Loquishas with Guidos! Considering the animosity that existed between the 2 groups for decades in NYC, this can only be a good thing!

Old 10-27-2009, 08:47 AM

4,941 posts, read 8,328,204 times
Because try as we might as a people to overcome racial, homosexual or political discrimination. It will always exist. There will always be SOMEONE who does not like what you are doing, who you are with, what party you belong to or your sexual preference.

It's called life. You have to be secure enough within yourself and your relationship to handle it. Why do you care so much if people stare? Look....stare....take a picture why don't you??

Old 10-27-2009, 09:03 AM

20,728 posts, read 19,371,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYchi View Post
First of all, I am not from bedstuy. (please read before you post)

Secondly, Jews are an ethic group (ethnoreligious), have you ever heard of Ashkenazic Jews or Sephardi Jews?

Trust me, I've dated enough New york Jewish men to know that many, if not most consider themselves to be an ethnicity separate from strictly Caucasian. Many Jewish men have different features that contrast from regular Anglo-Saxon white's. Such as longer noses, darker hair etc...
Hi NYchi,

Of course I know that difference. I also know they are not "Hebrews" . The Sephardic Jews essentially means they are from Iberia. Genetically Ashkenazi are most closely related to Turks. No surprise there since they we also originally a Turkic people including Bulgars. They were also historically in the Pale of Settlement of the Russian Empire. Syrians and Palestinians are more related to Mizrahi(Middle Eastern ) Jews than any Ethopian or Ashkenazi Jew and at least as much to Romano Jews and certainly are more Hebrew than any Ashkenazi or Ethopian.
Shoud we consider Eastern Orthodox Christianity to be a Greco-Slavic race? Huh should we, huh?

Old 10-27-2009, 09:13 AM

20,728 posts, read 19,371,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaoTzuMindFu View Post
Why are you purposely trying to ruin this thread by constantly posting off topic posts? You may want to brush up on the user guidelines.

Gwynedd, you make a good point, but we are talking about a girl from Bed Stuay NY here, not someone from Europe or someone who cares about history.
Hi LaoTzuMindFu,

So this thread has nothing to do about being hung up on race ? I am pointing out these "pure" races are a myth.

Old 10-27-2009, 10:05 AM

6,764 posts, read 22,076,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt. Dan View Post
Just look at it like youre starting a new trend. Loquishas with Guidos! Considering the animosity that existed between the 2 groups for decades in NYC, this can only be a good thing!
I was kind of going to say the same thing, maybe in a different way. Italians can be very prejudiced against Black people so maybe that is why people stare. Even in NYC/the boroughs people are very 'insulated' in their thinking sometimes.

On Long Island, you'd get lots of stares. And you'd think people would be liberal in Metro NY.

Old 10-27-2009, 11:59 AM

1,776 posts, read 4,004,815 times
Listen to 'Black Maybe' by Common

A poetic description of how here in the states, things can indeed differ simply due to one being black. Even Common admits, it's sometimes, not always, but it indeed happens. It could be an everyday thing- like restaurant service. It's real.

Personally, I don't get caught up in assuming even abnormal interaciton is because I am black. There could be a million other reasons why someone acts their way towards me. Racism is a very possible one, but for me, unless there's some good evidence in front of me, I don't and will not let it interfere with my life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships