Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2009, 09:18 AM

78,347 posts, read 60,547,237 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsRiss7383 View Post
I'm just curious what people on here mean when they refer to a woman having an "average" body. Do you mean average in terms of national average so you are referring to a woman who is about a six 12 or 14? Or do you mean average in comparison to a celebrity body like a size 6 or an 8? Just curious what the definition of average is....
I always use "average" in qualatative terms.
If you are a size 12 with rocking curves and are pretty fit then I'd say you have a great body.

If you are a size 2 and a stick....not so much.

To me, an average body is a gal that isn't too heavy or light and has a reasonable shape for her body type and size.

For example, I think Serena and Venus have above average body types even though they are nowhere near a size 6 or 8.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2009, 09:30 AM

12,974 posts, read 33,948,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
I always use "average" in qualatative terms.
If you are a size 12 with rocking curves and are pretty fit then I'd say you have a great body.

If you are a size 2 and a stick....not so much.

To me, an average body is a gal that isn't too heavy or light and has a reasonable shape for her body type and size.

For example, I think Serena and Venus have above average body types even though they are nowhere near a size 6 or 8.
Mathguy brings up a great point.

Average body can mean the mid point of a great body and not so great body.
Average body can mean the mid point of overweight body and underweight body.
Average body can mean the mid point of extremely fit body, and extremely unfit body.
Average body can mean taking the size/weight of all women in an area and dividing by the total number of women to come up with an average. This will differ based on the geographical region of the subjects.

Using his Serena and Venus examples, I agree neither has average body types. I think Serena has an outstanding body but could be considered above average. I find her body very sexy. Venus, while athletic, has a not average body. I think she's below average when it comes to size even though she's 6' 2".

Old 11-13-2009, 10:07 AM

37,593 posts, read 45,966,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by si33 View Post
lord, i better break out the lounge chair..looks like this one will be a long one..

IMO. average is just that.. The woman in Jay's picture would be considered petite by many..let alone somewhat Athletic by others.. Id consider her somewhere between the two.. She resembles an ex from a different state i used to live in.. but then again, i dig the petite type..suits me well i guess..but thats just me..some like a little more..and there is nothing wrong with that..
Petite? WHERE??? Yeesh. Man we definitely all have different ideas of "average". But generally, I have to agree with LaoTzuMindFu -

"just a plain jane type chick whos NOT fat, NOT skinny, NOT athletic".

The gal in post#2 - she fits that description, to me.

Old 11-13-2009, 10:09 AM

37,593 posts, read 45,966,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jersgrl1969 View Post
Next time you're out in a public place, take a good look around, and I'll bet you'll see a LOT more women who look like the pic I posted (or bigger) than that chick in the bikini.
Majority usually equals "average".
That is EXACTLY what we are saying!! YOU are using a statistical "modal" average - meaning the most common or most frequent value. But that is NOT what most men use. Unfortunately, MOST U.S. women are overweight, but that fact doesn't change MY reference point of an "average" body type.

Old 11-13-2009, 10:20 AM

3,284 posts, read 3,524,171 times
Quote:
Next time you're out in a public place, take a good look around, and I'll bet you'll see a LOT more women who look like the pic I posted (or bigger) than that chick in the bikini.
Majority usually equals "average".
I think you are more or less referring to the "typical" American female. Where as "average" body is widely used by men in a manner in which he he is describing her body as very mediocre in terms of fitness. (She's fit, but not that fit)

"Typical" would be like expecting to talk into a wal-mart and find mostly 250lb ladies in spandex rolling around in those little motorized scooters. Just my two cents

Old 11-13-2009, 11:34 AM

1,113 posts, read 3,493,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jays1983 View Post
I think you are more or less referring to the "typical" American female. Where as "average" body is widely used by men in a manner in which he he is describing her body as very mediocre in terms of fitness. (She's fit, but not that fit)

"Typical" would be like expecting to talk into a wal-mart and find mostly 250lb ladies in spandex rolling around in those little motorized scooters. Just my two cents
LMAO! In Wal-Mart, that's not typical...that's a GIVEN!!
(and I think those ladies are more around the 300 lb. mark, BTW )

Old 11-13-2009, 11:40 AM

Quote:
LMAO! In Wal-Mart, that's not typical...that's a GIVEN!!
(and I think those ladies are more around the 300 lb. mark, BTW )
Yeah, I was just trying to be nice

Old 11-13-2009, 11:48 AM

1,113 posts, read 3,493,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
That is EXACTLY what we are saying!! YOU are using a statistical "modal" average - meaning the most common or most frequent value. But that is NOT what most men use. Unfortunately, MOST U.S. women are overweight, but that fact doesn't change MY reference point of an "average" body type.

Well, as I am a WOMAN, I'm using the "average" POV of a woman. Men's descriptions of what an average female body is are usually a lot skinnier and "boob-ier" than the usual female body out there. (Wishful thinking, perhaps?? )
BTW, I would NEVER trust a man's guesstimate on a woman's clothing size/weight. They are always WAY off the mark.

Old 11-13-2009, 12:03 PM

Quote:
BTW, I would NEVER trust a man's guesstimate on a woman's clothing size/weight. They are always WAY off the mark.
Well the worst invention for females was clothing...(in most cases anyway)

Old 11-13-2009, 12:22 PM

4,533 posts, read 8,339,046 times
Quote:
Uhhh...not that you would know this, but I'm built very much like her and think we both look good!
P.S.- For a "defensive tackle" body, look no further:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi..._Shankbone.jpg

GAHHHH!!!! That should come with a warning label.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships