Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2009, 11:56 AM

890 posts, read 2,786,262 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitleybaby View Post
My girlfriend just told me that she's 6 weeks pregnant.
Should i propose to her ?
I have doubts because marriage is a huge step and divorce isn't something i want
We've been best friends for 3 years and started dating about 6 months ago
I love her and it's been really amazing but marriage is a huge step
If you were me ,what would you do ?
I'm sure there's a couples counselling, or even individual counselling that could help you both in this field. Learn the tools to communicate your fears and hopes. Learn for yourself if you are willing to commit to this lifestyle.

Love is a feeling, and Love is a choice of actions.

Most of what you were taught, will come haunting you and you need to decide as a man of your own which of the things taught to you is acceptable and right for you.

Divorce is always a possibility because it is a choice by each person; just as much as being married is a choice to be married.

I think that the 3 year friendship is a good foundation to build upon, but continued work and effort is required.

Just know that have the "balance" of life to have it all: love, marriage, kids. Each one has their value, and their priorities shift.

Good luck. Life is a struggle, and I think this is a blessing. But that is up to you to decide, and choose for yourself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2009, 01:30 PM

109 posts, read 364,455 times
I say YES, if and only if the following applies:

You are able to Love and treat her with respect....no matter what

You are willing to love your child, ......no matter what....

That's what the marriage vows actually mean.

Get pre-marriage counseling before you tie the knot and you will KNOW what you REALLY want to do. Marriage should be permanent. Do not marry her because she is pregnant, but marry her because you care. Big difference in attitude there. NO ONE in this country, should be getting married without couples counseling first.

From my experience, people are going treat her and your kid like trash if they find out you the baby was conceived before marriage. People are REAL mean that way. But if you can make her feel good about it with unending love, then MARRY her.

If all men were like you, welfare would NOT exist. If my ex was like you, I wouldn't be on here.

Old 12-01-2009, 01:36 PM

1,595 posts, read 2,988,477 times
Your post may as well ask; "She's pregnant, should I wear blue socks tomorrow?
The two have nothing to do with one another.
This is the 21st century.
Marriage and having a child are not mutually inclusive.
You two can get married.
You two can have a child.
You two can do both.
You two can do neither.
I know it has been asked repeatedly on this thread but; Would you marry her if she was not pregnant?

Old 12-01-2009, 02:18 PM

2,793 posts, read 6,124,725 times
Quote:
My girlfriend just told me that she's 6 weeks pregnant.
Should i propose to her ?
I have doubts because marriage is a huge step and divorce isn't something i want
We've been best friends for 3 years and started dating about 6 months ago
I love her and it's been really amazing but marriage is a huge step
If you were me ,what would you do ?
financially, you are f-ed either way you slice it, but probably worse if you marry then divorce. But it would be better for the kid if you married and gave it a shot. You never know it may work out better than expected. Good luck and wear a condom next time.

Old 12-08-2009, 04:56 PM

1,241 posts, read 1,895,987 times
Noble thought but marrying someone because they are pregnant is not a good idea. Doesn't sound like you were going to marry her before so don't let the "situation" push you into something when it may not be the right time.

Old 12-08-2009, 07:46 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,171,925 times
Quote:
I'm 38 she's 24
38? Are you kidding me? Old enough to think before you have unprotected sex.

So now you have the consequences to face. Welcome to adulthood.

Be a stand-up guy and marry her. Having kids is hard and demanding enough when you're married. Doing it when one is single is ten times worse. And showing up every two weeks to take your progeny for an outing to McDonalds isn't the same thing as being a father.

Old 12-10-2009, 06:03 PM

437 posts, read 675,268 times
I don't know if he did or not but my take:
do not propose to her.

Find out if it's yours first.

Yes, she may be pregnant with some other guy's seed. Lots of women do it- do not be a sucker.

Old 04-06-2010, 10:10 PM

1 posts, read 1,915 times
Hi, I don't know what you have done about the baby/ marriage question. I just want to say, that I am 19, my partner is 32. We were living together for 6 months before I fell pregnant, and had been dating for 3 years. I am due in only 2 days, YAY!!!, and this pregnancy has been the best thing that has happened to us. When we went for the first scan, we looked at each other and that look was one that we will probably only ever share again when our son is actually born. We have talked about marriage, but don't feel like we need to make a decision now. We will wait until he is born, and then have another conversation about it. We are in a loving, committed relationship, and don't see why we need a rings and a marriage license to make us "official". My advice is, take every day as it comes, don't jump into anything you are not ready for and reassess things as the time comes. Live your lives to the full, enjoy your baby and good luck. =)

Old 04-06-2010, 10:15 PM

3,261 posts, read 5,306,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smilefreak View Post
Hi, I don't know what you have done about the baby/ marriage question. I just want to say, that I am 19, my partner is 32. We were living together for 6 months before I fell pregnant, and had been dating for 3 years. I am due in only 2 days, YAY!!!, and this pregnancy has been the best thing that has happened to us. When we went for the first scan, we looked at each other and that look was one that we will probably only ever share again when our son is actually born. We have talked about marriage, but don't feel like we need to make a decision now. We will wait until he is born, and then have another conversation about it. We are in a loving, committed relationship, and don't see why we need a rings and a marriage license to make us "official". My advice is, take every day as it comes, don't jump into anything you are not ready for and reassess things as the time comes. Live your lives to the full, enjoy your baby and good luck. =)
He started dating you when you were 15/16 and he was 28/29?

Old 04-07-2010, 08:06 AM

37,624 posts, read 46,016,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robee70 View Post
He started dating you when you were 15/16 and he was 28/29?
Okay that's just wrong.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships