Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2009, 10:43 AM

3,360 posts, read 12,271,444 times

Advertisements

You're in shock, ok.

You have every reason in the world to marry her. You're mature enough, financially set, she's your best friend, and you love her. So what's the problem?

You have created a situation, not unhappily, in which a family will be formed from here on out either with you or without you. So which is it going to be? Do you want to be the part time parent and have her be a single mother, or do you want to be an intregal part of a loving union?

Get married if she'll have you, and earlier rather than later.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2009, 11:26 AM

3,219 posts, read 6,583,457 times
Here's my 10 cents:

OP not to be negative, but are you absolutely sure the baby to be is actually yours?

If so take the Father without marrying route WITHOUT CO-HABITING then "if" things look ripe for marriage think long and hard very again about if divorce were to come. Just think about the divorce rate, those numbers don't lie. If you feel that you must marry, I wish you the best.

Old 11-27-2009, 11:29 AM

12,169 posts, read 17,650,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whitleybaby View Post
My girlfriend just told me that she's 6 weeks pregnant.
Should i propose to her ?
I have doubts because marriage is a huge step and divorce isn't something i want
We've been best friends for 3 years and started dating about 6 months ago
I love her and it's been really amazing but marriage is a huge step
If you were me ,what would you do ?
How about fatherhood, did you think about that big step before taking it?

Old 11-27-2009, 11:31 AM

13,285 posts, read 15,310,576 times
Quote:
Only if you would have proposed anyway.

Old 11-27-2009, 11:45 AM

I don't like all this advice about encouraging men to be the baby daddy. What would our society look like if practically no one married for fear of committment or divorce? It wouldn't be pretty and it wouldn't be healthy either. I think we can already see what has happened in places where that is the case.

This man is not a child. He is in a good relationship, not one with a nutcase. He has everything to gain by a marriage to his best friend and the mother of his future family. However, he has everthing to lose if he lets this woman go. Marrying a couple of years into this is not going to endear him to her or her family and possibly not his either. She could choose to marry someone else and he would be closed off and in an akward situation. If I were her and the man hesitated I might not have him at all as it would be a sign of weakness of character to me.

Old 11-27-2009, 11:54 AM

42,831 posts, read 88,178,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgoldie View Post
If I were her and the man hesitated I might not have him at all as it would be a sign of weakness of character to me.
I absolutely agree with your point. Same goes for the idiotic DNA test suggestions. We're not talking about a hooker he picked-up at a street corner. How many of those posters proposed or would propose DNA tests to their wives? How is that different with a long-term serious girlfriend?

Frankly, this thread started making me sick and I don't even have any horse in this race - I don't have children and I've never been pregnant or had an abortion.

Old 11-27-2009, 11:58 AM

10,172 posts, read 20,786,996 times
Quote:
My girlfriend just told me that she's 6 weeks pregnant.
I have doubts because marriage is a huge step and divorce isn't something i want
We've been best friends for 3 years and started dating about 6 months ago
I love her and it's been really amazing but marriage is a huge step
If you were me ,what would you do ?
I typically would never advise anyone to get married simply because you got the girl pregnant. That in itself is not a good reason. But given the fact that you two have been best friends for three years, dating for 6 months and love one another, I'd say you have the perfect foundation to take it a step further and consider marriage. You've decribed everything a person could want in a spouse...best friend, love, and respect. It's a huge step, but so is parenthood, and if you love one another and are truly friends, you owe it to your child to provide him/her with a loving household that consists of a full time mommy and daddy.

One thing you can anticipate, having a child will change things, however, if you truly love one another then you will face those challenges together as a team and love your child unconditionally as most parents do. Based on what you've shared, I'd say go for it!

Old 11-27-2009, 12:05 PM

13,285 posts, read 15,310,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolhand68 View Post
I typically would never advise anyone to get married simply because you got the girl pregnant. That in itself is not a good reason. But given the fact that you two have been best friends for three years, dating for 6 months and love one another, I'd say you have the perfect foundation to take it a step further and consider marriage. You've decribed everything a person could want in a spouse...best friend, love, and respect. It's a huge step, but so is parenthood, and if you love one another and are truly friends, you owe it to your child to provide him/her with a loving household that consists of a full time mommy and daddy.
Which can be very well done without getting married

Old 11-27-2009, 12:30 PM

Not so fast. If she decides not to place his name on the birth certificate he is going to be in for quite a hassle. Or, if she decides that she absolutely can't sustain the thought of being a single mother then she could ask someone else to marry her. Or, she could leave him at any time and do the same.

There is no no-risk scenario. Better to do the obviously right thing here as I can't see the downside. As it stands there's a good chance that she will move back in with her parents to have the baby.

Old 11-27-2009, 12:40 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,178,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgoldie View Post
Not so fast. If she decides not to place his name on the birth certificate he is going to be in for quite a hassle. Or, if she decides that she absolutely can't sustain the thought of being a single mother then she could ask someone else to marry her. Or, she could leave him at any time and do the same.

There is no no-risk scenario. Better to do the obviously right thing here as I can't see the downside. As it stands there's a good chance that she will move back in with her parents to have the baby.
Well, if she does want to have the baby and they don't get married, I personally wouldn't continue any kind of a "relationship" with him if I were her. Wouldn't care for child support, either. I'd just want him out of my life for good.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships