Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2009, 11:40 PM

4,895 posts, read 14,140,308 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitleybaby View Post
My girlfriend just told me that she's 6 weeks pregnant.
Should i propose to her ?
I have doubts because marriage is a huge step and divorce isn't something i want
We've been best friends for 3 years and started dating about 6 months ago
I love her and it's been really amazing but marriage is a huge step
If you were me ,what would you do ?
who didn't wear the condom?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2009, 11:43 PM

1,008 posts, read 2,079,394 times
How about an abortion?

Old 11-27-2009, 12:26 AM

1,863 posts, read 4,299,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobman View Post
you should get married before you start talking about divorce.

that's not really the attitude which is gonna make a succesful outcome
Aaaaand getting married without talking or thinking too much about it can also lead to divorce.

Old 11-27-2009, 12:26 AM

37,135 posts, read 42,214,810 times
The cavilear attitude towards having a child, and the whole "you don't have to get married" bit is a big problem. Why do people feel this way? Because they want to have sex without consequence. But you can't, and until people are held accountable we are going to have way too many kids being born to a single parent and the concept of "family" is going to continue to degrade because nobody want's to be responsible and everyone wants to stay free so they can take advantage of something/someone else who might come along and make them even HAPPIER. We want to be happy NOW (having sex with whoever) and happy LATER (don't want to get married evem if a baby is on the way) without worrying about what happens in between. It's kind of a selfish attitude to take and it really has effected society in a bad way.

I also agree that abortion is an option considering the circumstances and attitude.

Old 11-27-2009, 04:12 AM

9 posts, read 56,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raena77 View Post
If you don't marry I hope you will always be there for the child, also remember she can get you for child support. And it could get ugly.
I'll be fully responsible for child support off course, i'm pretty good on financial sector

Old 11-27-2009, 04:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
Verify the pregnancy, many a woman has fooled a man into getting married over a false pregnancy.

Are you sure the baby is yours ? If so, marry the girl and teach your child to be a good person.
I'm still considering this but after reading the thread below i got doubts
Check this thread http://www.city-data.com/forum/relat...y-testing.html

After i read all the posts , i conclude that most female will feel offended if their husband/boyfriend ask them to do it
Having a paternity test would probably do more harm than good
I'll get confirmation but then she'll get insulted
I don't want her to think that i don't have a faith in her, it will hurt our relationship

Last edited by whitleybaby; 11-27-2009 at 04:48 AM..

Old 11-27-2009, 04:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanBlasphemy View Post
I don't know, should you?

Look, before you even think about proposing, I want you to ask yourself these questions:

1. Do you love her?
2. Can you see yourself spending the rest of your life with her?
3. Are you prepared to settle down and lead the "married life"? Once you make a vow to her, do you intent to keep it?

These questions are obvious, but it's a good place to start. If you've said "yes" to all three, then keep going.

4. Do you have your financial life in order - or at least manageable? If not, will you and her be able to agree on how to settle things? Do you both have a similar outlook on how your finances will be managed?

5. Are you willing and able to work with someone to run a household? This involves everything from major financial decisions to simple chores. Sometimes, after a long, hard day at work, you'll be asked to help out with things - are you responsible enough to do that?

6. Can you communicate effectively with her about all things - including intimacy, spirituality, and conflict resolution?

7. Can you patiently listen with an intent to understand when she has something important to say? Do you understand how she needs to feel loved?

These are all things to think about - and this is just a very small sampling of the questions that you need to ask yourself before you even consider marrying her. Thing is, nobody is perfect, we can't do every one of these things in every situation - But, just by sitting down and really thinking about these things will help alleviate a lot of your confusion.

Personally, my advice is this: Wait until you're 100% sure that this is the person you want to spend your life with.

Even if things don't work out, you still have a responsibility to this child. That ALWAYS comes first, no matter what. You can have a healthy relationship with the child, and have a mature relationship with the mother as well, even if the two of you aren't together.

My friend, I wish you well..
1,2,3. Yes
4. Business doing pretty amazing so my financial condition is in order. My folks also just inherit their home to me so i got the home section covered
5. I'll try to do my best
6. We can talk almost about everything, we were (and still until now) bestfriend for 3 years.
7. Yes

I appreciate your advice

Old 11-27-2009, 04:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCaliforniaBear View Post
How about an abortion?
We both want to have kid,although we never expect to get one so soon. Abortion isn't really an option

Old 11-27-2009, 04:55 AM

The think is one of few reasons i'm considering to propose is family pressure
Her family is from deep southern, having a child out of wedlock would be unacceptable
Just few hours ago, she called her parents to deliver the good news and just like what i expected they're not exciting
They want us to get marry soon no matter what
We just don't want this baby to be "exiled"

I really appreciate all the opinions that you all have posted, many thanks

Old 11-27-2009, 05:53 AM

672 posts, read 2,113,924 times
If relatives are going to "exile" an innocent child just because ya'll had sex, got pregnant and didn't get married, then I really wouldn't want them around the child anyway.

Forget tradition. Don't do it for the child or "because it's the right thing to do." At the very least, wait and see. Don't let anyone or anything pressure you into marriage.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships