Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2019, 06:38 PM

4,147 posts, read 2,965,161 times

Advertisements

I like tomboys. Too bad they're very rare here in California. I went to school for engineering and even then most of my female classmates were very feminine. I thought that women in engineering were mostly tomboys--why ain't that so?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2019, 07:18 PM

49,927 posts, read 59,955,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrJester View Post

I like tomboys. Too bad they're very rare here in California. I went to school for engineering and even then most of my female classmates were very feminine. I thought that women in engineering were mostly tomboys--why ain't that so?
Because people are not a collection of traits you can arrange to serve as an object of selfish desire.

Old 10-25-2019, 07:21 PM

8,500 posts, read 4,744,511 times
I married a girl who’s a kinda tomboy.

Just do it.

Old 10-26-2019, 01:01 AM

15,074 posts, read 10,105,001 times
Engineering is not full of tomboys...

Old 10-26-2019, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by usayit View Post
Engineering is not full of tomboys...
As an electrical engineering major, most of my female classmates were just as feminine as any other girls. I don't know how that's hard to believe. Maybe because most females at my school's engineering department were Asian, mostly Chinese, and among the Chinese community there's less of this idea that engineering is this masculine field. In fact, you'll find that the proportion of girls in engineering among the Chinese community is much higher than it is among white girls.

But maybe you have a different experience. So how are the women in engineering over where you work?

Old 10-26-2019, 11:57 AM

15,074 posts, read 10,105,001 times
Quote:
As an electrical engineering major, most of my female classmates were just as feminine as any other girls. I don't know how that's hard to believe. Maybe because most females at my school's engineering department were Asian, mostly Chinese, and among the Chinese community there's less of this idea that engineering is this masculine field. In fact, you'll find that the proportion of girls in engineering among the Chinese community is much higher than it is among white girls.

But maybe you have a different experience. So how are the women in engineering over where you work?
Maybe you didn't understand my post.... I'm not disagreeing... 24 years in engineering/computer sciences and there is no correlation that I've noticed that ties engineering (or any other technical field) to masculine or tomboy women.

Old 10-26-2019, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by usayit View Post
Maybe you didn't understand my post.... I'm not disagreeing... 24 years in engineering/computer sciences and there is no correlation that I've noticed that ties engineering (or any other technical field) to masculine or tomboy women.
Right. I misunderstood for sure. Maybe it's time for me to give up stereotyping people by profession.

Old 10-26-2019, 03:33 PM

49,927 posts, read 59,955,675 times
Quote:

Maybe it's time for me to give up stereotyping people by profession.
... or for any other reason.

A breakthrough!!

Old 10-26-2019, 05:27 PM

2,095 posts, read 1,559,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
I didn't want to put 'masculine women', because that conveys the wrong idea, although I think 'tomboy' more refers to girls rather than women.

Anyway I kinda dig it...not so much really butch women whom you have to look at their chests to even KNOW they're women, but those who have 'male' interests, aren't too into makeup, don't cry at every soppy movie or even like 'chick flicks', not JUST that, but also have an adrogynous edge, and don't always have to play the 'female' in the relationship.

I like variety and appreciate different types of women - really girly/femme ones can be appealing, but at other times more androgynous women seem to have more sex appeal to me.

Anyone in the same boat as me? lol
some do, some dont. But overall, it's likely her appearance and attitude matter more than if she likes sports and cars and not shopping and handbags. Average guy isn't going to hold a girl that wears minimal makeup, dresses casually, likes guy stuff against her. Other women, definitely will though.

Also recognize, there's a big difference between "tomboy" and foul mouthed butch b.>>tch that cares nothing for her appearance

Old 10-26-2019, 07:26 PM

44,259 posts, read 64,375,553 times
I love how it's 2019, but we're still characterizing people's interest based on gender.

Geez.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships