Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2010, 10:35 AM

9,984 posts, read 10,394,292 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobman View Post
My apologies, I accept the wording may have been incorrect.
It maybe doesn't cause paranoia, but it can cause mental health problems which can lead to paranoia.
Yes, if there are underlying problems, it could aggravate them.
I accept I was missing out bits ! I was just giving highlights for brevity's sake
I still do not buy the idea that pot in an of itself alone can cause mental health problems leading to paranoia. I think it can be a catalyst, but at the same time I think there have to be other factors. I could be wrong most of the research I have admits that an otherwise healthy person who is fully developed will not necessarily end up with mental problems, other then addiction, from pot alone.

The two most common reasons I have read about for pot causing mental issues are

1. Pot is smoked in a person's teen years while their brain is still developing and as a result mental health problems can result from taking mind altering drugs (pot/alcohol) during this critical stage of development. After the mind is fully developed this risk decreases substantially.

2. Pot is smoked by a person with a pre-existing biological disposition for mental disorders and as a result using a mind altering drug can act as a trigger for mental problems.

Other then that I have not read much about pot causing long term mental problems and I certainly do not think its any worse then other mind altering drugs such as alcohol.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2010, 10:39 AM

768 posts, read 942,943 times
She doesn't have to smoke, but she has to have the intellectual capacity to recognize what cannabis is, why it's illegal, why it's considered bad by most, and so on.

I don't really have a preference. I smoke cannabis on occasion and enjoy it, but it's not a big part of my life. I'm more concerned with a woman's ability and or desire to see past the smoke and mirrors, and understand that things like cannabis have an unduly stigma for all the wrong reasons.

Old 02-02-2010, 10:44 AM

3,993 posts, read 8,927,861 times
I'm no doctor, but I used to have a friend who was a drug worker, i read some of their literature.

It seems to be a bit like the 9/11 theories, for every argument, there's a counter argument.
I guess we'll find out through time !

Remember smoking used to be advertised as being good for you !

Quote from a British publication.
Mental health problems

There is growing evidence that people with serious mental illness, including depression and psychosis, are more likely to use cannabis or have used it for long periods of time in the past. Regular use of the drug has appeared to double the risk of developing a psychotic episode or long-term schizophrenia. However, does cannabis cause depression and schizophrenia or do people with these disorders use it as a medication?

Over the past few years, research has strongly suggested that there is a clear link between early cannabis use and later mental health problems in those with a genetic vulnerability - and that there is a particular issue with the use of cannabis by adolescents.

Depression
A study following 1600 Australian school-children, aged 14 to 15 for seven years, found that while children who use cannabis regularly have a significantly higher risk of depression, the opposite was not the case - children who already suffered from depression were not more likely than anyone else to use cannabis. However, adolescents who used cannabis daily were five times more likely to develop depression and anxiety in later life.

Schizophrenia
Three major studies followed large numbers of people over several years, and showed that those people who use cannabis have a higher than average risk of developing schizophrenia. If you start smoking it before the age of 15, you are 4 times more likely to develop a psychotic disorder by the time you are 26. They found no evidence of self-medication. It seemed that, the more cannabis someone used, the more likely they were to develop symptoms.

Why should teenagers be particularly vulnerable to the use of cannabis? No one knows for certain, but it may be something to do with brain development. The brain is still developing in the teenage years – up to the age of around 20, in fact. A massive process of ‘neural pruning’ is going on. This is rather like streamlining a tangled jumble of circuits so they can work more effectively. Any experience, or substance, that affects this process has the potential to produce long-term psychological effects.

Recent research in Europe, and in the UK, has suggested that people who have a family background of mental illness – and so probably have a genetic vulnerability anyway - are more likely to develop schizophrenia if they use cannabis as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomstudent View Post
I still do not buy the idea that pot in an of itself alone can cause mental health problems leading to paranoia. I think it can be a catalyst, but at the same time I think there have to be other factors. I could be wrong most of the research I have admits that an otherwise healthy person who is fully developed will not end up with mental problems, other then addiction, from pot alone.

The two most common reasons I have read about for pot causing mental issues are

1. Pot is smoked in a person's teen years while their brain is still developing and as a result mental health problems can result from taking mind altering drugs (pot/alcohol) during this critical stage of development. After the mind is fully developed this risk decreases substantially.

2. Pot is smoked by a person with a pre-existing biological disposition for mental disorders and as a result using a mind altering drug can act as a trigger for mental problems.

Other then that I have not read much about pot causing long term mental problems and I certainly do not think its any worse then other mind altering drugs such as alcohol.

Old 02-02-2010, 10:45 AM

1,086 posts, read 3,360,993 times
Pros: We would have something in common.
Cons: Less for me

Old 02-02-2010, 10:48 AM

Quote:
I'm no doctor, but I used to have a friend who was a drug worker, i read some of their literature.

It seems to be a bit like the 9/11 theories, for every argument, there's a counter argument.
I guess we'll find out through time !

Remember smoking used to be advertised as being good for you !

Quote from a British publication.
Mental health problems

There is growing evidence that people with serious mental illness, including depression and psychosis, are more likely to use cannabis or have used it for long periods of time in the past. Regular use of the drug has appeared to double the risk of developing a psychotic episode or long-term schizophrenia. However, does cannabis cause depression and schizophrenia or do people with these disorders use it as a medication?

Over the past few years, research has strongly suggested that there is a clear link between early cannabis use and later mental health problems in those with a genetic vulnerability - and that there is a particular issue with the use of cannabis by adolescents.

Depression
A study following 1600 Australian school-children, aged 14 to 15 for seven years, found that while children who use cannabis regularly have a significantly higher risk of depression, the opposite was not the case - children who already suffered from depression were not more likely than anyone else to use cannabis. However, adolescents who used cannabis daily were five times more likely to develop depression and anxiety in later life.

Schizophrenia
Three major studies followed large numbers of people over several years, and showed that those people who use cannabis have a higher than average risk of developing schizophrenia. If you start smoking it before the age of 15, you are 4 times more likely to develop a psychotic disorder by the time you are 26. They found no evidence of self-medication. It seemed that, the more cannabis someone used, the more likely they were to develop symptoms.

Why should teenagers be particularly vulnerable to the use of cannabis? No one knows for certain, but it may be something to do with brain development. The brain is still developing in the teenage years – up to the age of around 20, in fact. A massive process of ‘neural pruning’ is going on. This is rather like streamlining a tangled jumble of circuits so they can work more effectively. Any experience, or substance, that affects this process has the potential to produce long-term psychological effects.

Recent research in Europe, and in the UK, has suggested that people who have a family background of mental illness – and so probably have a genetic vulnerability anyway - are more likely to develop schizophrenia if they use cannabis as well.
Well yes that is what I said.

Pot can trigger mental health issues in those with a biological disposition for mental illness and among teens whose brains have not fully developed if you are in both risk categories then your chances are probably even greater. On the other hand other then the two things I mentioned I have not read anything that suggests 21+ year old's without a pre-existing biological disposition for mental illness will have mental health issues from smoking pot.

Old 02-02-2010, 10:51 AM

3,993 posts, read 8,927,861 times
I know, I didn't disagree with you ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomstudent View Post
Well yes that is what I said.

Pot can trigger mental health issues in those with a biological disposition for mental illness and among teens whose brains have not fully developed.

Old 02-02-2010, 10:54 AM

Quote:
I know, I didn't disagree with you ?
Ahh. Sorry I can be a bit slow on the uptake...and I do not even smoke pot lol.

Old 02-02-2010, 01:48 PM

768 posts, read 942,943 times
It will great when the public becomes more educated as to cannabis, then we can start talking about cannabis indica vs cannabis sativa. My own view is that cannabis indica has very little, if any, utility for the non-deathly ill. It has shown great medical promise, but for healthy people it's kind of a drag. It's mostly just couchlock. Unfortunately it's easier to grow, thus the masses who dismiss cannabis were probably relegated to just that experience.

Cannabis sativa is a whole new ball game. It has helped me garner new, worthwhile perspectives, see things in a more clear light, and overall allowed me to become a much kinder, gentler person in my day-to-day. Pre-sativa thinkin about it was a pretty mean-spirited bastard, make no mistake about it.

Old 02-02-2010, 01:55 PM

133 posts, read 290,392 times
Sativas FTMFW!!!!

Toke on a nightly basis with the GF and noone would ever suspect that either of us do if you met us in person.

Old 02-02-2010, 08:26 PM

4 posts, read 3,124 times
well, we're all going to die from something. id rather die having fun than anything else.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships