Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2010, 03:16 PM

7,915 posts, read 18,624,668 times

Advertisements

I've read that about 18% of married couples met at work and I've known a few. In fact a female supervisor I had quite a few years ago came back from a weekend trip to Nevada with one of the engineers in the office and they'd gotten married. Everybody was floored and didn't even know they were dating.
I do think the OP has a good point though. It's much more difficult to meet a single woman who happens to be by herself and I agree that a circle of friends would greatly improve the situation when there are get togethers and you are introduced to friends of friends.
In fact now that I think about my hopeless plight I realize that I only know a couple of people within 1500 miles of where I live.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2010, 04:02 PM

1,342 posts, read 2,162,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSizzle225 View Post
Here's a quick tip. When at a bar, and a girl is surrounded by a group of guys, ignore the girl and befriend the guys. 1) You don't got to worry about scuffles. 2) Hey, you seem like a cool guy, you should talk to her sister.
This is good advice. My friend and I cam up with a saying about 10 years ago:

You can't get the hottie until you appease the nottie.

Think of guys as just ugly girls. You still have to win them over in order to get anywhere with the girl you're interested. If the logistics are good and you win the over, a lot of times they push the girl on to you.

As for meeting new people, social clubs like intramural sports, meetup groups, and co-ed hobbies are all good ways of meeting women. Most people meet their SO at work, school, or through friends in one way or another. Bars and clubs very rarely lead to long term relationships. There's nothing wrong with them per se, but the dynamics at play aren't conducive for much more than hooking up for filling a girls head up with validation and ego bloat.

Old 02-01-2010, 05:56 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,162,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Cat View Post
Probably guys are not releasing enough pheromones or women have become inmune to them.
That's why they're for sale, Gato!

Old 02-01-2010, 08:22 PM

3,111 posts, read 8,054,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSizzle225 View Post
Actually this is the greatest advice ever. Guys are smelling less guy. Try not showering for 3 days and then go to the bar in an old t shirt and basketball shorts. Your man stink will have women crawling all over you.

Mr Cat, do you have a fund set up somewhere where I can financially reward such brilliant thought?
Great advice. I'm sure whatever bar lets you in, there will be plenty of women for you to chose from.

Old 02-01-2010, 08:25 PM

5,412 posts, read 4,239,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolhand68 View Post
Try taking some college classes, lot's of women on campus.

Take other types of classes/lessons like dancing, cooking, photography etc.

I used to take language classes at the USDA in DC, and before the classes, all the female students would either talk on cell phones, or be listening to their ipods until the moment the teacher began, so you had NO opportunity to even try to talk to them except if we were doing group assignments for the class. Not very friendly or providing situations to let you meet someone.

Old 02-01-2010, 08:35 PM
Ep-

2,080 posts, read 4,169,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by betamanlet View Post
I used to take language classes at the USDA in DC, and before the classes, all the female students would either talk on cell phones, or be listening to their ipods until the moment the teacher began, so you had NO opportunity to even try to talk to them except if we were doing group assignments for the class. Not very friendly or providing situations to let you meet someone.
they text or listen to music because they are bored. this is the perfect chance to meet someone

Old 02-01-2010, 09:23 PM

2,163 posts, read 4,340,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElysianEagle View Post
i think that for a large number of guys that have problems meeting women, the issue is not that they aren't confident or have poor social skills (although there are many guys for whom those are the main stumbling blocks, i'm sure), but the fact that they just aren't around women enough or don't have the right kind of social circles! after all, most couple end up meeting each other through friends, so if you dont have a good circle of friends, what do you do.

around where i live, if you go out to any bar, you almost always see girls rolling with guys in big groups, or if the girls come alone, they end up calling some guy friends who join them later. i've seen this time and time again and know that 95+% of the time, guys that come alone, or just with their guy friends, (myself included), usually end up going home alone too

so the question is, how do you go about building an eclectic circle of friends?? consisting of guys and girls, so that you can use the network to meet potential partners??
I moved to a new city about a year and a half ago where I knew only one person around my age. I met more people at work who I clicked with and can socialize with outside work. I started going to church, and I joined a running group and a hiking group through meetup.com. I also joined a gym and do volunteer work. I participate in online dating on a few websites both paid and free. Have I met Mr. Right yet? No, but I've made some great friends and I have the opportunity to go out and socialize just about every night of the week if that's what I wanted to do. I don't have any kind of timeline for meeting that special someone. When it happens, it'll happen and until then, I'm having a pretty good time.

Sure, it's kind of lonely coming home to an empty house all the time, but I make the best of that too, with hobbies and C-D

Old 02-01-2010, 10:07 PM

7,454 posts, read 13,426,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElysianEagle View Post
i think that for a large number of guys that have problems meeting women, the issue is not that they aren't confident or have poor social skills (although there are many guys for whom those are the main stumbling blocks, i'm sure), but the fact that they just aren't around women enough or don't have the right kind of social circles! after all, most couple end up meeting each other through friends, so if you dont have a good circle of friends, what do you do.

around where i live, if you go out to any bar, you almost always see girls rolling with guys in big groups, or if the girls come alone, they end up calling some guy friends who join them later. i've seen this time and time again and know that 95+% of the time, guys that come alone, or just with their guy friends, (myself included), usually end up going home alone too

so the question is, how do you go about building an eclectic circle of friends?? consisting of guys and girls, so that you can use the network to meet potential partners??
Rent a crowd

Old 02-01-2010, 10:13 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,162,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave nz View Post
Rent a crowd
That's a catchy tune! You may want to buy the domain!

Shoot, somebody got it already! Rent a crowd Intl & Unltd. Agency

Btw, there is Rent-A-Husband¨ and it's not about what you may think!

Old 02-01-2010, 10:18 PM

7,454 posts, read 13,426,017 times
lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships