Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2010, 08:09 AM

392 posts, read 1,096,027 times

Advertisements

They growd up!!! Did the bar thing in my twenties, never got much from it, other then keeping the tylenol employees well fed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2010, 08:19 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,724,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by samston View Post
Why?

it is what society says.
Say what?

The bottom line is that there is no answer to your original question as bars are so diverse. Some people happily go to some types of bars and wouldn't set foot in others so there can be no generalized response. I agree with ChessieMom that the question in itself is "weird" for want of a better description but just using a word which you used!

Old 02-02-2010, 08:21 AM

600 posts, read 1,609,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by runrgirl View Post
If you want to have a few drinks, it's MUCH cheaper to have a few friends over and drink at home. The drink prices in bars in ridiculous compared to buying it yourself at the liquor store.
Exactly! I just can't justify paying $ 8 for a glass of wine, when I can get A BOTTLE of the same wine for the same money.

Old 02-02-2010, 08:23 AM

4,379 posts, read 5,386,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
Say what?

The bottom line is that there is no answer to your original question as bars are so diverse. Some people happily go to some types of bars and wouldn't set foot in others so there can be no generalized response. I agree with ChessieMom that the question in itself is "weird" for want of a better description but just using a word which you used!
well clearly you don't live in America.

Old 02-02-2010, 08:27 AM

8,515 posts, read 16,189,680 times
Quote:
What would you think if a person never went to bars?
Scratches head....

Old 02-02-2010, 08:33 AM

3,993 posts, read 8,929,519 times
I don't mind going to bars, or pubs.

However, if I go, it's to be social, I therefore don't want the bar to be a "mini-club" (a clublet )
I want to talk, and shoot the sh*t with my buddies, not have to shout so much I'm hoarse the next day.
I eant to be able to tell jokes, and swap "man-gossip" without my eardrums bleeding.

Yeah, yeah, "if it's too loud, you're too old", and all that, don't get me wrong, I love loud music !

But just not when i'm trying to talk.

sadly, around here, all we have are clublets and sports bars.
Also hating sports means I don't hit the pubs much any more.

Old 02-02-2010, 08:38 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,724,101 times
Quote:
well clearly you don't live in America.
Really? How so? Please explain.

Old 02-02-2010, 08:39 AM

13,026 posts, read 24,634,940 times
Quote:
Why?

it is what society says.
What society ? Is there a "they" you could point out ? We are all different INDIVIDUALS which hopefully mean that all of us have different tastes, ideas, beliefs etc... Some people go to Bars, some do not.

"Society" is a little vague don't you think ? Human beings don't all conform, not everyone sees a mould and decide to try and fit into it. Some of us actually prefer to use our own brains and make our own minds up regardless of "peer pressure" ( if there is such a thing where bar frequentation is concerned) and societal expectations.

I hate bars. Urban trendy bars are usually noisy and often full of "look at me, look at me" posers. Then there are the Sports Bars which for someone like myself with about as much interest in sports as I have in watching paint dry is pretty painful.

I was hoping we had got beyond "society" and were a little more mature, allowing for disparities in character and lifestyles.

Wouldn't the world be terribly dull and tedious and we all did exactly the same thing, ate the same things, listened to the same music , wore the same clothes and thought the same ? That is my idea of hell on earth.

Maybe it is time for "society" to take a chill pill, grow up and embrace our shared humanity in all its polychromic wonders of races, creeds, sexual orientations, ideologies, tastes etc... There is a world outside bars. A great big world of endless possibilities and great marvels.

"Society" is usually nothing more than a poorly thought out excuse for trying to label people and wanting to narrow our views rather than widening them.
"Society" has throughout the Millenia tried its best to gather the sheep into the fold, leading us , pressurising us and making us condone terrible things.

I prefer to believe in people than "society", a much more inclusive and human concept.

Old 02-02-2010, 08:44 AM

271 posts, read 785,688 times
I don't go to bars anymore. I gave up drinking when I started weightlifting which is for the better since I was a bit of a binge drinker! All of my old friends who still party and go to bars are fat and spend their weekends sleeping off hangovers. Then during the week they plan when they are going to drink next.

Old 02-02-2010, 08:59 AM

4,379 posts, read 5,386,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooseketeer View Post
What society ? Is there a "they" you could point out ? We are all different INDIVIDUALS which hopefully mean that all of us have different tastes, ideas, beliefs etc... Some people go to Bars, some do not.

"Society" is a little vague don't you think ? Human beings don't all conform, not everyone sees a mould and decide to try and fit into it. Some of us actually prefer to use our own brains and make our own minds up regardless of "peer pressure" ( if there is such a thing where bar frequentation is concerned) and societal expectations.

I hate bars. Urban trendy bars are usually noisy and often full of "look at me, look at me" posers. Then there are the Sports Bars which for someone like myself with about as much interest in sports as I have in watching paint dry is pretty painful.

I was hoping we had got beyond "society" and were a little more mature, allowing for disparities in character and lifestyles.

Wouldn't the world be terribly dull and tedious and we all did exactly the same thing, ate the same things, listened to the same music , wore the same clothes and thought the same ? That is my idea of hell on earth.

Maybe it is time for "society" to take a chill pill, grow up and embrace our shared humanity in all its polychromic wonders of races, creeds, sexual orientations, ideologies, tastes etc... There is a world outside bars. A great big world of endless possibilities and great marvels.

"Society" is usually nothing more than a poorly thought out excuse for trying to label people and wanting to narrow our views rather than widening them.
"Society" has throughout the Millenia tried its best to gather the sheep into the fold, leading us , pressurising us and making us condone terrible things.

I prefer to believe in people than "society", a much more inclusive and human concept.
you are right.

however, there are colloquial norms, and going to bars is one of them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships