Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2010, 01:49 PM

24,665 posts, read 69,729,597 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by samston View Post
you are right.

however, there are colloquial norms, and going to bars is one of them.
I thought I was pretty good where English grammar and word definition is concerned but don't understand your "colloquial norms and going to bars is one of them."

You lost me there as you lost me when you said that, "well clearly you don't live in America" in response to what I thought was a reasonable post based on bars being so diverse that not every bar suits everyone.

Just to expand, I've lived in the US since 1968, in this territory of the US since 1984 and since 1995 have owned and operated an English pub here. The nature of doing business here sees businesses (particularly bar/restaurant businesses) coming and going with the annual Trade Winds and I've pretty much become an unadvertised "special find" here who has lasted way longer than most.

Maybe my post on the diversity of bars didn't register with you. I don't know where you're from but in most of the places I've lived throughout my long life there has always been such diversity, ranging from up-market hotel bars with entertainment, up-market bars connected to restaurants which serve bar fare/apps, bars with musicians ranging from a solo harpist or guitarist to a 12 piece honky tonk/country/rock. Loud bars, soft bars, friendly bars, sports bars, biker bars - the spectrum is massive!

The variations are enormous but they're all classified as "bars" and I simply don't understand your point in even posting. Any comments? Cheers!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2010, 02:31 PM

4,379 posts, read 5,386,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
I thought I was pretty good where English grammar and word definition is concerned but don't understand your "colloquial norms and going to bars is one of them."

You lost me there as you lost me when you said that, "well clearly you don't live in America" in response to what I thought was a reasonable post based on bars being so diverse that not every bar suits everyone.

Just to expand, I've lived in the US since 1968, in this territory of the US since 1984 and since 1995 have owned and operated an English pub here. The nature of doing business here sees businesses (particularly bar/restaurant businesses) coming and going with the annual Trade Winds and I've pretty much become an unadvertised "special find" here who has lasted way longer than most.

Maybe my post on the diversity of bars didn't register with you. I don't know where you're from but in most of the places I've lived throughout my long life there has always been such diversity, ranging from up-market hotel bars with entertainment, up-market bars connected to restaurants which serve bar fare/apps, bars with musicians ranging from a solo harpist or guitarist to a 12 piece honky tonk/country/rock. Loud bars, soft bars, friendly bars, sports bars, biker bars - the spectrum is massive!

The variations are enormous but they're all classified as "bars" and I simply don't understand your point in even posting. Any comments? Cheers!
The diversity does not exist, even though obviously all persons are different.

Old 02-02-2010, 02:37 PM

29,748 posts, read 34,415,700 times
Samston, have you been accused of being a barfly? Were you kicked out of a bar? You seem hostile that you're not getting the response you want in this thread. What exactly prompted you to ask?

Old 02-02-2010, 03:39 PM

Quote:
The diversity does not exist, even though obviously all persons are different.
The diversity of bars doesn't exist? Total and absolute nonsense. I went out on a limb endeavoring to make a point but obviously your mind is set and you will continue to create similar threads just - I assume - for the heck of it.

Have you considered befriending TVSG?

Old 02-02-2010, 05:31 PM

i am saying diversity in people doesn't exist, and colloquial norms do, even if people are different.

Old 02-02-2010, 05:37 PM

2,035 posts, read 5,038,096 times
No, i don't think a person like this would be weird..but, again, like anything else, it depends on what you are into...And there are many different types of bars/clubs or what ever...While you would never catch me in some biker dive..or a country bar.. The place i go to caters to everyone from 21 and up..and there is a diverse crowd which frequents the place.. Every bar/club i have gone to ..or worked in in the past has met this criteria..and believe me, i have met many amazing people and shared or lived many amazing stories in the multitude of personalities i have crossed paths with through the years..Many of these, i will share with my kids..and teach them to experience..or watch out for..

I love being out on a Friday night or perhaps on a couple nights enjoying some music and good people watching...while i unwind after a long week with a Malibu and coke in hand..sharing laughs with the bartenders i know as we watch the more awkward patrons enjoying themselves...rarely are there problems..Everyone is just out to enjoy a nice evening.. If i happen to meet someone, or strike up conversation with other people there, all the better...i am a social person and enjoy the company of other social people.. But not everyone is like this..and each of us has our own
was of connecting, if we so choose..

That being said, i would encourage anyone to give it a try...Don't go looking for anything except just having a good time..and being there to experience life..instead of letting it pass you by.. I really didn't start going out until after my 21st..and after i moved away from where i grew up..and stumbled on a place which fit my kind of place to hang out...

All of the places i have gone, including the one here, were places that, when i entered them, i felt right at home, just with many other faces present..some good, some less amiable..but hey, thats part of what makes life both enjoyable and exciting..One of the Spices if you will

Old 02-03-2010, 05:14 AM

Quote:
... diversity in people doesn't exist ... even if people are different.
I think you should look up the definition of "diversity". There are several online dictionaries if you don't have a hard copy to hand.

Old 02-03-2010, 06:07 AM

I know what diversity means. It means differences in being or states.

Old 02-05-2010, 10:11 PM

44,371 posts, read 20,076,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mango tango View Post
I would think that person didn't like bars. I know plenty of people who don't go to bars.

Does it matter?
What she said.

Old 02-05-2010, 10:14 PM

42,763 posts, read 52,886,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ep- View Post
where else you gonna get drunk
I dunno at a friends house party?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships