Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-10-2010, 05:08 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,663,996 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nutz76 View Post
Good examples, but try naming a few from the last decade. Masculine *male* role models disappeared around the late 80s best I can tell.
Bill Bixby isn't all that masculine...more of a "sensitive guy".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2010, 05:10 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,663,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaGuy View Post
TKramer wrote:

This isn't something that I've looking into so maybe you could elaborate on that. Are you talking about just getting into the armed forces in the first place or are you saying that there are specific requirements for men are women who perform exactly the same task but women have a separate set of requirements than the men? If that's what you're saying do you also happen to have a link to any source of information that could confirm what you're saying? Thanks.
I'll dig into it and get back to you on that. They do have periodic fitness tests, and if you fail, you may get another try or two, but they can dismiss you for failing to meet the requirement. I always met mine though.

Old 03-10-2010, 06:17 PM

20,728 posts, read 19,367,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avienne View Post
Well, if that makes you a nut, I'm a pecan, because I'm inclined to think that China has the right idea.

*whistles*

Hi Avienne,

Since we agree, we can all question our sanity.

Single mothers on state benefits make 'lifestyle choice' - Telegraph (http://www.telegraph.co.uk/family/7309419/Single-mothers-on-state-benefits-make-lifestyle-choice.html - broken link)

Old 03-10-2010, 06:26 PM

924 posts, read 1,644,708 times
Since the whole wage debate always seems to come up whenever feminism is discussed, I thought posting this would help alleviate some animosity that stems from some women:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wikipedia
In the United States, among women and men who never marry or have children, women make more than men.[20] Additionally, women who work part-time make more on average than men who work part-time.[25]

Old 03-10-2010, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Llewelyn View Post
Since the whole wage debate always seems to come up whenever feminism is discussed, I thought posting this would help alleviate some animosity that stems from some women:
Hi Llewelyn,

Oh I doubt that. Why do you think that would be?

Men who can make money are attractive to women and women who make more money find fewer men attractive.

That is good news for career men who's reward is a hot babe.

Successful career women can get a poodle.

http://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn0eXyVbqZN4HqM:http://cache1.asset-cache.net/xc/AB27609.jpg%3Fv%3D1%26c%3DIWSAsset%26k%3D2%26d%3DA 5C9C13351D9C3B71F880388316B362999C680AF4CC70A2258D 4D7C2E87F2A43 (broken link)

Old 03-10-2010, 07:08 PM
Status: "Moldy Tater Gangrene, even before Moscow Marge." (set 3 days ago)

5,790 posts, read 3,600,682 times
BOTH genders are at fault: Golddigging women and abusive men. Image-and-status conscious women and men who won't settle for less than 8.5. This reminds me of the early 80s song from the J. Geiles Band "**** on the Wall"

Well, the Yanks hate the Reds
and the Greeks hate the Turks
I really hate to say it but they're

all a bunch of jerks
seems like everybody's shakin'
cuz the big one's 'bout to fall
I'm just trying to hold it steady while I **** on the wall

To those who seek lovers: Knock yourself out. Do your own thing. That's what I do.

Me? I discovered my life is immensely more relaxed living with just me, myself, and I. No drama, squabbles over money, kids, where to put the furniture, what to eat, what to watch, ad nauseum.

<Kicks back in my lawn chair with a beer, takes a sip, and says "Ahhh, doesn't get any better than this">

Old 03-10-2010, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwynedd1 View Post
Hi Llewelyn,

Oh I doubt that. Why do you think that would be?

Men who can make money are attractive to women and women who make more money find fewer men attractive.

That is good news for career men who's reward is a hot babe.

Successful career women can get a poodle.
That's hardly proof, seeing as you provided no actual resources/statistics. There's ways to explain everything, but some things haven't been explained entirely yet. Assuming is not a form of explaining.

Old 03-10-2010, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Llewelyn View Post
That's hardly proof, seeing as you provided no actual resources/statistics. There's ways to explain everything, but some things haven't been explained entirely yet. Assuming is not a form of explaining.

Hi Llewelyn,

You already provided the facts. I provided the interpretation of those facts. That data provides what we already know. Women with careers cannot find men they think are suitable. Men who do not compete well in the market place tend not to be attractive to women.

First you gather data, then you interpret the data and create theories.

Old 03-10-2010, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwynedd1 View Post
Hi Llewelyn,

You already provided the facts. I provided the interpretation of those facts. That data provides what we already know. Women with careers cannot find men they think are suitable. Men who do not compete well in the market place tend not to be attractive to women.

First you gather data, then you interpret the data and create theories.
Fair enough, it's still speculative though as to how you interpret the data.

And most women say that they don't consider money that important as long as men can make ends meet (or so I am told). Except for the occasional golddiggers of course

Old 03-10-2010, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil75230 View Post
BOTH genders are at fault: Golddigging women and abusive men. Image-and-status conscious women and men who won't settle for less than 8.5. This reminds me of the early 80s song from the J. Geiles Band "**** on the Wall"

Well, the Yanks hate the Reds
and the Greeks hate the Turks
I really hate to say it but they're

all a bunch of jerks
seems like everybody's shakin'
cuz the big one's 'bout to fall
I'm just trying to hold it steady while I **** on the wall

To those who seek lovers: Knock yourself out. Do your own thing. That's what I do.

Me? I discovered my life is immensely more relaxed living with just me, myself, and I. No drama, squabbles over money, kids, where to put the furniture, what to eat, what to watch, ad nauseum.

<Kicks back in my lawn chair with a beer, takes a sip, and says "Ahhh, doesn't get any better than this">

Hi Phil75230,

Gold digging is actually in decline. Yes women still value material more than men, but women are looking for other traits much more these days. I think women find men who are capable attractive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships