Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-14-2010, 01:32 AM

4,837 posts, read 8,858,437 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotARedneck View Post
I was dating a woman (divorced twice with other failed relationships) who complained about the "lack of support and appreciation" from her ex. Now this is a broad area but I really tried hard to provide what I consider to be important including things she likely didn't notice. She dumped me quickly.

Recently, she was quite animated. Her current beau had bought her a bunch of jewelry and she was showing it off. "A ruby, a sapphire, and I don't even wear jewelry" was one comment.

I then recalled that she had criticized her ex for not bringing home gifts from his very frequent business trips. (Women who do this would never consider it their place to reverse this.)

As we were leaving, a friend familiar with our history said "You really dodged a bullet, there!"

I wish I had a video of her diatribe to give her when her current relationship ends.
She was at it again tonight. I guess that the other women are getting fed up with her shoving her jewelry in their face. One told her a bracelet was "ugly" and her response was a lot like the shaming language used here.

School girls in love were such a pain but to see this in a twice divorced middle aged woman is difficult for some. I just love the entertainment value and thank my lucky stars I'm not paying off a divorce settlement.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2010, 06:20 AM

19,046 posts, read 25,201,354 times
Quote:
She was at it again tonight. I guess that the other women are getting fed up with her shoving her jewelry in their face. One told her a bracelet was "ugly" and her response was a lot like the shaming language used here.

School girls in love were such a pain but to see this in a twice divorced middle aged woman is difficult for some. I just love the entertainment value and thank my lucky stars I'm not paying off a divorce settlement.
The people in your life sound so cartoonish. Have you ever seen the movie Edward scissor hands? I picture you living in that kind of community.

Old 03-14-2010, 09:31 AM

1,417 posts, read 2,181,722 times
Ths "shaming language" used earlier was not intended to be such. Seriously, NotARedneck, I meant what I said. You sound like an intelligent guy with a lot to offer. I just hate to see bitterness stop anyone from finding happiness.
I never said there weren't women like you describe. My point is that there are men like that as well...but MOST people try to do their best.
I am sorry you got a bad woman.

Old 03-14-2010, 09:47 AM

740 posts, read 1,233,636 times
Quote:
What's to debate? I have my experiences and observations. At times, women posting on this site have tried to deny that they occurred. This isn't debate, just sophistry. Other than that, there:
1) is a lot of shaming language going on.
2) women trying to convince us that their relationship monopoly powers are good for us and we need to continue to jump at the opportunity for more.
3) a really desperate fear that the cats out of the bag and it will be very painful to put it back.

I suppose that after 4 decades of being supported by largely bogus academic research from the women's studies programs, its a little difficult to come up with good, well reasoned arguments now that men are finally catching on and fighting back.
Frankly, I think we are all guilty of generalizing our individual experiences to the world. So when one of us hears, "All men/women/children/aliens do/are/have X" we get the urge to say, "Not true. I/my friend/my family etc.never do/are/have X, we do/are/have Y" and then hunt up research to show why our experiences are the norm.

Old 03-14-2010, 10:33 AM

20,728 posts, read 19,374,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by typhoidmary View Post
Frankly, I think we are all guilty of generalizing our individual experiences to the world. So when one of us hears, "All men/women/children/aliens do/are/have X" we get the urge to say, "Not true. I/my friend/my family etc.never do/are/have X, we do/are/have Y" and then hunt up research to show why our experiences are the norm.

Hi typhoidmary,

That is how one properly critiques a generalization. Applying individual anecdotes to either affirm or deny a trend is idiotic. However citing a general tendency that is well founded is not, such as men finding women attractive. We know not all men find women attractive, its simply exceptional when they do not.

Old 03-14-2010, 10:49 AM

740 posts, read 1,233,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwynedd1 View Post
Hi typhoidmary,

That is how one properly critiques a generalization. Applying individual anecdotes to either affirm or deny a trend is idiotic. However citing a general tendency that is well founded is not, such as men finding women attractive. We know not all men find women attractive, its simply exceptional when they do not.
Exactly. An individual experience is one discrete event, not a trend and for every trend (or general tendency) there are going to be outliers. And, of course, one can find plenty of evidence out there to support whatever trend one wishes to promote Not to knock economists, but this joke has an air of truth for anyone trying to prove a point with imperfect data:

A mathematician, an accountant and an economist apply for the same job.
The interviewer calls in the mathematician and asks "What do two plus two equal?" The mathematician replies "Four." The interviewer asks "Four, exactly?" The mathematician looks at the interviewer incredulously and says "Yes, four, exactly."
Then the interviewer calls in the accountant and asks the same question "What do two plus two equal?" The accountant says "On average, four - give or take ten percent, but on average, four."
Then the interviewer calls in the economist and poses the same question "What do two plus two equal?" The economist gets up, locks the door, closes the shade, sits down next to the interviewer and says, "What do you want it to equal"?

Old 03-14-2010, 10:52 AM

29,748 posts, read 34,409,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwynedd1 View Post
Hi typhoidmary,

But, Gwynned, sharing anecdotes and experiences is the hallmark of a good conversation. This thread has devolved into people preaching and lecturing each other, trying to prove themselves right and others wrong, with an adversarial affect. This is an internet forum, not an academic conference.

Old 03-14-2010, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by typhoidmary View Post
The economist gets up, locks the door, closes the shade, sits down next to the interviewer and says, "What do you want it to equal"?
LOL I have an economist joke page bookmarked that includes this joke.

Old 03-14-2010, 10:53 AM

3,440 posts, read 8,042,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by braunwyn View Post
the people in your life sound so cartoonish. Have you ever seen the movie edward scissor hands? I picture you living in that kind of community.
lol!!

Old 03-14-2010, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morphous01 View Post
lol!!
I was just watching "black hole sun" on youtube and that reminds me as well. lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships