Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2010, 08:11 AM

4,483 posts, read 5,335,279 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
He's done a wonderful job of integrating not.
Hahaha. Don't get me wrong; I absolutely love my ancestral cuisine and eat it with gusto when I do eat it. But I need not have it daily; I can go weeks without it, and when I crave it and have it, it is so hearty.

But Kube is just a very closed-minded individual. He's not deep, and he's hard to connect with. Others who have known him long have also drifted away from him for these reasons (and these guys and I remain close).

And it reflects through his eating habits. He is the only person I've ever hung out with in my adult years who ever said something of the effect that "guys, why are we going there? That's not a place I like!"

However, why does he have the right to tell others what to eat? Why does he only focus on the ancestral cuisine? He does eat it EVERY DAY for dinner at home.

Kube, John, others, and I went to a steakhouse a few years ago... he ordered salmon. (which is ok, but why order salmon at a steakhouse?)

Kube, John, others, and I went to another steakhouse not too long ago... he ordered pasta. Huh?

No thanks. I'll spend my precious personal time w/ folks whose company I actually enjoy and with whom I can actually eat freely.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2010, 08:18 AM

8,967 posts, read 20,395,429 times
Hey guy......I'm former Navy and you REALLY, REALLY sound pi**ed here! In fact you sound SO pi**ed that you are swearing (in red) that should not be allowed on a C-D Forum!!
Man, find a new lady that you are more compatiable with......end of story!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by usmc4295 View Post
hey guys me again I've finally found someone I care about but I'm having a little trouble coping with her eating habits mainly she's extremely picky about what will eat and this bothers me a lot as I am really into food,not a fat slob into grubbing on mcdonalds 24/7 but I mean true culinary differences,small example,suggested sushi "ewww gross I'm not eating raw fish" I then explained that only sushimi is raw fish and there are doezens of other alternatives of "sushi" her response "yeah I'm not eating that" I'm from louisiana I have gone to culinary school and I love everything and am willing to try things at least once her on the other hand is pretty typical of diet meat and potatoes and shrimp,crawfish. corn but only on the cob not out of a can or creamstyle only italian food with red gravy won't even try alfredo or parmesan and I'm at a loss I really care for her but everytime we go on a date to eat somewhere we end up at god damn chili's or applebee's,am I making too big of an issue here?

Old 03-16-2010, 08:20 AM

4,866 posts, read 5,683,548 times
Wow she sounds like a pain in the ass...

Look for someone who's less boring, will ya?

Semper Fi!

Old 03-16-2010, 08:33 AM

2,013 posts, read 3,549,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usmc4295 View Post
I making too big of an issue here?
Are you serious?? Of course you are. There are much, much more important things to worry about in a relationship than her being a foodie or not.

Old 03-16-2010, 08:46 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,752,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprawling_Homeowner View Post
Hahaha. Don't get me wrong; I absolutely love my ancestral cuisine and eat it with gusto when I do eat it. But I need not have it daily; I can go weeks without it, and when I crave it and have it, it is so hearty.

But Kube is just a very closed-minded individual. He's not deep, and he's hard to connect with. Others who have known him long have also drifted away from him for these reasons (and these guys and I remain close).

And it reflects through his eating habits. He is the only person I've ever hung out with in my adult years who ever said something of the effect that "guys, why are we going there? That's not a place I like!"

However, why does he have the right to tell others what to eat?
I wasn't getting you wrong at all but Kube nonetheless is obviously a PITA where food is concerned which attitude and rigidity probably overflows into other areas of his life in his adopted country. That's a little bit sad particularly since others of his culture have drifted away from him because of that rigidity. Thus he's never going to benefit as much as the majority from making his home in a different culture and will continue to be confined to a rather small group who feel and think likewise.

I see it on a different level here in the USVI each and every day with the same confining attitudes about food and culture and the "way things are done" from both some visitors and newbie wannabees who think that the proverbial American Paradise is a reality and quickly learn the hard way that it's not. It's all to do with "when in Rome" basically.

We're a multi racial society here and a newbie coming here to live has many obstacles to overcome in so many different arenas - which is why the attrition rate is so high.

Oops, I segued off there - sorry!

The OP should certainly be concerned about the rather vast differences between the two of them where food is concerned. As I mentioned before but will reiterate, the "EWWWW" remarks about trying different foods are a bit childish.

A "lady" with manners will be open-minded enough to try a bite or two before immediately dismissing anything and we're not exactly talking cat or dog or horse filets, fried grasshoppers, escargots or chocolate-covered ants here! Cheers!

Old 03-16-2010, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissLucky View Post
Are you serious?? Of course you are. There are much, much more important things to worry about in a relationship than her being a foodie or not.
Of course there are. But the OP isn't making an issue of her not being a foodie. He's trying to deal with the fact that his girlfriend's eating preferences are far narrower than his, and with her obtuse attitude towards new things.

The activities we engage in for pleasure are a reflection of who we are. If we are forced not to engage in activities we enjoy, we will feel constrained, limited, and ultimately resentful. It's a breach of our freedom. And by dating this woman, this man may have to sacrifice some of his favorite eateries because his girlfriend refuses to eat what he eats.

I'm not much of an outdoors person, but I will occasionally hike or even go cycling in spring and summer. It's exhilarating, and it's good to be up close with nature on occasion. One of my better friends is an avid outdoorsman, and to draw closer to him, I've gladly accepted his invitations to such activities in the past. It was fun, and I have no regrets at all; in fact, I already mentioned doing those things w/ him once spring arrives. It's part of bonding, and bonding is key in both friendships and in dating relationships.

She is certainly within her rights to eat only what she likes, but the OP is equally entitled to exotic and uncommon dining preferences.

Old 03-16-2010, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissLucky View Post
Have to say no to your comment for all the reasons stated in posts which are right here if you choose to read them.

Old 03-16-2010, 08:49 AM

Quote:
I wasn't getting you wrong at all but Kube nonetheless is obviously a PITA where food is concerned which attitude and rigidity probably overflows into other areas of his life in his adopted country. That's a little bit sad particularly since others of his culture have drifted away from him because of that rigidity. Thus he's never going to benefit as much as the majority from making his home in a different culture and will continue to be confined to a rather small group who feel and think likewise.

I see it on a different level here in the USVI each and every day with the same confining attitudes about food and culture and the "way things are done" from both some visitors and newbie wannabees who think that the proverbial American Paradise is a reality and quickly learn the hard way that it's*not. It's all to do with "when in Rome" basically.

We're a multi racial society here and a newbie coming here to live has many obstacles to overcome in so many different arenas - which is why the attrition rate is so high.

Oops, I segued off there - sorry!

The OP should certainly be concerned about the rather vast differences between the two of them where food is concerned. As I mentioned before but will reiterate, the "EWWWW" remarks about trying different foods are a bit childish.

A "lady" with manners will be open-minded enough to try a bite or two before immediately dismissing anything and we're not exactly talking cat or dog or horse filets, fried grasshoppers, escargots or chocolate-covered ants here! Cheers!
Oh, totally understood. I knew even before you wrote this that you knew what I was talking about. Kube WAS indeed a PITA, and he did commit other (more serious) gaffes that made me write him off. But his attitude about food was one of the initial issues.

Old 03-16-2010, 09:08 AM

2,013 posts, read 3,549,313 times
Quote:
Have to say no to your comment for all the reasons stated in posts which are right here if you choose to read them.
Actually my comment directed to OP.

Old 03-16-2010, 10:07 AM

I was interrupted by a power outage (!) but of course knew to whom you were responding and my answer remains the same. Cheers!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships