Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2010, 02:31 PM

4,483 posts, read 5,332,197 times

Advertisements

Can considerable gaps in earning power/potential really be worked out... if the one with the much greater income is the woman?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2010, 02:36 PM

17,218 posts, read 57,092,976 times
You know, in principle they can be, but I doubt this works at all well in practice most of the time.

Of course it depends on how big the disparity is, and how adequate the smaller income is. I think it would eventually grate on the woman as much or more than the man.

All that said, if I were single and Sandy Bullock wanted to replace Jesse with me, I would make it a point to *not* get my knickers in a twist about her bigger income. Ol' Mitch would just shut up about that, as in, never mention it, not bring it up, never, no way...

Old 04-05-2010, 02:50 PM

4,941 posts, read 8,328,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprawling_Homeowner View Post
Can considerable gaps in earning power/potential really be worked out... if the one with the much greater income is the woman?

It only becomes a problem (either gender) if an ego is attached to earnings. I see that as more of a problem in the marriage than wage differences.

Old 04-05-2010, 02:52 PM

1,203 posts, read 1,983,474 times
Yes.
And it depends on the two people who are working it out.

Old 04-05-2010, 03:47 PM

14,229 posts, read 30,041,460 times
I was in that situation for years and it contributed to the eventual dissolution of the marriage. We never fought about money or how it should be spent. I believe it made him feel like less of a competent man because he made less.

Old 04-05-2010, 03:56 PM

19,012 posts, read 29,728,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprawling_Homeowner View Post
My ex-boss in the biggest bank in the world was a top exec. Her paycheque was close to 250K. She lives happily with her public government servant husband who makes less than 50K. And she is a very christian character. Once a value system is in place, anything is achievable.

And to add spice, she is in great shape and looks great even at 46. The man's a hairy fat gentleman. Yet, they are still in love and are raising 3 wonderful children as I type.

She's the woman to beat.

Old 04-05-2010, 04:01 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,178,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seeniorita View Post
It only becomes a problem (either gender) if an ego is attached to earnings.
Ego is always attached to both people and their respective earnings. It's not a good situation. I witnessed it growing up and I just don’t believe too many men would be comfortable with it even if the women are.

Old 04-05-2010, 04:02 PM

20,797 posts, read 9,745,369 times
I have been married 33 years I handle the finances only because I am a little better at it but we both work and it all goes into one account anyway so from this house no problem.
We don't hide money from each other or bills. We have a stash account that we build up and for fun we use that..if the funds are there we go or do if not we wait until we have enough.
It seems to have worked for us all these years.

Old 04-05-2010, 04:09 PM

275 posts, read 836,652 times
Depends on their particular arrangement. A lot of high earning guys see money as justification to have their lower paid wives also play their secretary/housekeeper/etc. On the other hand, when women make more, I don't think men automatically step up and do a higher (or even equal) share of the work. So it would suck for a woman to be making a LOT more and yet still feel she has to do more of the household work just because it's more of "women's work". If the woman makes more and they keep things more equal in terms of house work, etc, I think it can work.

Old 04-05-2010, 04:40 PM

289 posts, read 311,401 times
Well, in my experience.....

Married 6 years, together 10. When we both worked at the beginning/middle, there were years I made more than my wife....and in the last 4 years she makes more than me, so we've been on both sides. I don't understand the jealousy thing, personally. Why wouldn't someone want their spouse to be successful? I'm happy that she is successful at her career pursuits.

I suppose, though, as stay-at-home father of a 3 year old, I'm a little out of the "norm" to begin with....

Quote:
We don't hide money from each other or bills.
So important. It shouldn't really matter where the money came from as long as you agree on where it goes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships