Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2010, 02:08 PM

3,052 posts, read 4,306,249 times

Advertisements

I was prompted to start this thread because I've seen the numerous stereotype bandied about in others.

I'm 24 and I've always dated men at least 8 years older than me, preferably around 14-15 years older than me, and even dated someone 20 years my senior (that was a unfortunate relationship for a lot of reasons, but not due to the age gap).

I'm just not interested in guys my age or even guys in their early thirties. It's not just a mental thing, it's a physical thing also. I like older guys who keep themselves in shape, have a little gray and look a little rugged. I like guys who lived long enough to have a clear idea what they want out of life. I like guys who like the thrill of being with a younger woman.

I don't have daddy issues and I'm not a gold digger. I'm psychologically well-adjusted and my father didn't rape me. Like every woman I want financial security, but attraction first, everything else later.

I'm tired of people judging me in public when I'm with an older man (though there may be a race aspect to it, because I typically date interracially), giving me stares, even insinuating I may be a prostitute.

I'll never forget when I was with an ex and he wanted to hail a pedal cab, but turned it because of the price, and the pedal cab guy said, "It's not as much as she's costing you!" Of course he said, "Dude, she's my girlfriend," and tried to stop the guy to defend me, even though it clearly wasn't worth it.

I wish strangers would give other people the benefit of the doubt about their intentions when they're seeking a mate, just as they would expect to receive themsevlves.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2010, 02:11 PM

4,483 posts, read 5,331,581 times
Every case is different. If it makes YOU happy, do it.

Old 05-19-2010, 02:12 PM

2,013 posts, read 3,547,809 times
So this is more of a rant, I suppose.

Old 05-19-2010, 02:12 PM

19,012 posts, read 29,724,589 times
Score:

Old farts 1
Young turks 0

Old 05-19-2010, 02:13 PM

20,834 posts, read 17,106,096 times
Thanks for posting this. One of my most enchanting relationships was with a younger woman, bright and charming. Similar to yourself she had a hard time finding men her age who appreciated her. We elegant guys do appreciate the deeper aspects of a womans beauty young and mature alike.

Old 05-19-2010, 02:19 PM

3,052 posts, read 4,306,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissLucky View Post
So this is more of a rant, I suppose.
Perhaps.

Old 05-19-2010, 02:32 PM

10,172 posts, read 20,784,725 times
Nice to hear from a younger woman who prefers older men. So often there is speculation on this forum about who should be dating who and within what age brackets. Most often it's the folks who feel left out of whatever demographic is NOT in favor that seem to make the most heated arguments. So if an older man prefers younger women, he's labeled a pervert, dirty old man, or cradle-robber because he enjoys the company of girls 10 - 20 years younger. It's usually the older women whose beauty has faded and younger guys who feel left out who indulge in the bashing. So hearing it straight from a younger woman is refreshing. Thanks for this thread, it's a nice change of pace and refreshing to see a young woman who knows herself and what she wants.

Old 05-19-2010, 02:43 PM

1,570 posts, read 5,987,926 times
We all have our own likes & dislikes. When I was your age, I dated a men far older than listed here. Now that I'm pushing 50 I perfer men in their 60s - 60-65 seems perfect to me.

Old 05-19-2010, 02:51 PM

25,901 posts, read 42,706,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xxbabeechick View Post
I'm 24 and I've always dated men at least 8 years older than me, preferably around 14-15 years older than me, and even dated someone 20 years my senior (that was a unfortunate relationship for a lot of reasons, but not due to the age gap).
I'm curious about a couple of things.

1. How long have you been dating older men, if you don't mind my asking? I was married with two children by the time I was your age, and I don't have a lot of experience with traditional dating. Before I married, I was in another long-term relationship and have not really dated since I was 14 and 15. There's not a lot of time between 18 and 24 and you make it sound like you've had numerous long-term, or at least successful short-term, relationships. Not just one- or two-night flings with someone ... I mean, anybody can screw the babysitter, and I don't think that's what you're talking about. How old were you when you dated the guy 20 years your senior, for instance?

2. What prompted you, a confident woman with no daddy issues, to pick a handle like xxbabeechick? I'm not trying to be a jerk, but that sounds kind of jailbait. I'm sorry if that's offensive, but I'm related to jailbait and get touchy about it.

Old 05-19-2010, 02:52 PM

20,728 posts, read 19,367,499 times
Older women only assess accurately and rationally any competitive threats from any direction. As a matter of fact, that is what most people do, with the exception of younger women of course... Nice guys, unemployed hard workers currently looking for a position in management, and supportive and loving somewhat older women see this clearly.

Yeah, I think we are all biased.

Now I certainly see problems for long term relationships with 20 year age gaps down the road, but I also know sexual desires are not rational. I don't think I am capable of deciding. I can and have resisted such urges. Yet I am simply not going to go with the idea that a 20 something is universally a child. If they are, then we are in some trouble. I don't see a 20 year old idiot becoming a sublime blossom at 30. The problem indeed is that such a relationship must inevitably be cut short and that is, in my mind, the argument against it. The last thing I would want is my biome in any case. How utterly boring.

I never cared for the argument that we would have so much in common if I latched on to someone born the very year I was just down the street.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships