Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2010, 11:52 AM

926 posts, read 2,747,035 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chacho_keva View Post
LMAO....It gets easier? Really??? Well gees, I must've missed something cause I don't remember it getting any easier. Matter of fact, here I am about to turn 50, with three kids in college...AND IT STILL HASN'T GOTTEN ANY EASIER!!!
Im 27 and my dad just paid my car insurance for this month and is STILL paying my phone bill LOL...I agree with you- with some kids, it doesnt get easier :-p
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2010, 11:56 AM

4,053 posts, read 8,252,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bass101 View Post
My husband and I have been married for 6 years and are in our early 30's. We don't have any kids yet. But I find myself thinking about the fact that I've grown so used to the DINK lifestyle, that I find it hard to imagine myself as a parent. When I read the Facebook status updates of some of my friends, they often discuss how exhausted from the kids they are--their posts just sound weary. I've grown accustomed to things like being able to do what I want when I want, going out for dinner with my hubby whenever we want, sleeping late on the weekends, spending a whole night laying on the couch with a good book, etc. In addition, I feel that I really don't have the energy necessary to be a parent. I don't know how people work and parent and take care of the house. I am unable to keep on top of the household chores with just the two of us, because I feel that I just don't have enough energy to get the chores done. Most days we feel so tired that we eat take-out every night b/c we're too tired to cook or grocery shop.

I feel that having a family is important to me, but I don't feel that I am capable of the day-to-day work required in parenting.

My husband is very ready to become a father and feels he is ready to take on parenting tasks, even though he works 70 hours per week and is never home.

Anyone have any thoughts about this?
If you can't imagine it, don't do it. I am a special education administrator and I see the effects on children whose parents really are interested, or can't or won't parent for lots of reasons. It's not that hard on the parents because they go about their 70 hour work weeks per usual pre baby. Get him to volunteer as a Big Brother, or at a children's hospital, at church or at a school. Let him see first hand what kids need.

It is so much better to realize that you aren't ready and may never be than to take the plunge and not do a good job.

Good luck to you!

Old 05-31-2010, 11:58 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,678,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sophialee View Post
She said she works 8 hours a day and has a 2 hour nap after work everyday.
I did catch that but wonder if it's a job which leaves her "cold" as it were. The whole scenario just doesn't sit right.

Old 05-31-2010, 12:03 PM

37,593 posts, read 45,960,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bass101 View Post
I get overwhelmed easily by all the things I have to do--like chores, errands, etc. I'm not the kind of person who enjoys chaos or being on the go all the time. I just wonder if I feel this overwhelmed now, when it's just me and my husband, how will I feel when I have a child to take care of on top of it? I don't know how others do it--work, childcare, chores, errands--how do you manage it all and not get overwhelmed?
Most people deal with these things as a normal part of life. The fact that you are overwhelmed with doing much less...clearly you must have some type of health or emotional issue going on. Either that or you have just become a very lazy person over time, and have become unable to even fathom actually performing what the rest of us do every day. Not intending to offend, but seriously...it's just life, man. It's normal day-to-day life for most. Get your butt moving before you become decrepit before your time!!

Old 05-31-2010, 12:42 PM

6,777 posts, read 13,548,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by babigyrl5 View Post
Im 27 and my dad just paid my car insurance for this month and is STILL paying my phone bill LOL...I agree with you- with some kids, it doesnt get easier :-p

Old 05-31-2010, 01:22 PM

3,562 posts, read 4,393,286 times
Quote:
That was exactly my reaction too when I read that.

Old 05-31-2010, 01:57 PM

52,203 posts, read 52,636,749 times
Quote:
I agree, that should be something kept on the down low.

Old 05-31-2010, 01:59 PM

9,408 posts, read 13,735,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by babigyrl5 View Post
Parents shouldn't be paying for either of these things. This is the problem nowadays, kids have become leeches.

Old 05-31-2010, 01:59 PM

19,609 posts, read 12,210,591 times
Of course people's energy levels vary. Don't assume people who seem to do it all are not exhausted by it. A lot of people live on caffeine. And the stress and running around ruin plenty of relationships. People do takes naps after work. In some countries people take naps during work. The body is not meant to be going on high speed without recharging. Our current culture of uber busyness that we have been programmed into is bad for health and relationships. For a lower energy person it is toxic.

Old 05-31-2010, 02:03 PM

52,203 posts, read 52,636,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Djuna View Post
Parents shouldn't be paying for either of these things. This is the problem nowadays, kids have become leeches.
I agree, when I was 27 I was in charge of projects at work that were in the million dollar range.

Daddy wasn't paying my phone bills.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships