Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2010, 09:18 PM

483 posts, read 555,672 times

Advertisements

I'm 51, successful. I wear the same size jeans I wore when I was 19 (size 34). I have my own business and 2 ncie homes that are paid off. I don't smoke, gamble, go to bars or do drugs. If I drink 2 glasses of merlot a week it's a lot. I like the outdoors and being active. Yet, I can't meet women, I'm attracted to, to save my life.

I get positive reactions from women in my travels. I think I look a lot better in person than this pic. I've been out of dating and relationships for 5 years. It's harder now to break the ice than ever. Either they're on the cell phone, engaged in some other distraction or with a companion. I think most of them think I must have someone, so they don't bother.

Maybe part of the problem is I live in one state for 6 months and another, 1200 miles away the other 6. I didn't think this would be an obstacle. I rather thought it might enhance my options. Seems like the women in Fl think I have someone here and verse vicea... Can't win I guess. And online dating seems like scraping the bottom of the ocean..

Is it that big a deal that I migrate. I don't see why a great chemistry couldn't end up with both of us being migrators..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2010, 09:29 PM

1,237 posts, read 3,448,424 times
Your location is a HUGE deal! Few people are cut out for living in two separate locations. At 51, you are going to be hard pressed to find someone around your age who has not already firmly planted roots (job, family, ect).

Two locations may enhance your options for short term dating, but relationship prospects will be significantly reduced. As an aside - all of the things you listed about yourself are not entirely unique - there has to be chemistry, personality, sense of humor, ect. Many men can claim that they are fit, drug free, and homeowners. While they are positive attributes, they by no means send you to the head of the pack in the dating world.

Old 06-04-2010, 09:33 PM

25,901 posts, read 42,693,566 times
The migration thing is probably an obstacle. I don't think it's insurmountable. What kind of relationship would you like to have, long-term? Do you see yourself spending six months with a woman who has a house and job near one of your homes, then leaving her for six months? Will that go on for many years? Or do you see yourself traveling back and forth with a woman? If so, do you see yourself supporting her, or does she have a job where she can follow you around? These are very different types of women.

Old 06-04-2010, 09:42 PM

52,249 posts, read 52,655,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galagaone View Post
I'm 51, successful. I wear the same size jeans I wore when I was 19 (size 34). I have my own business and 2 ncie homes that are paid off. I don't smoke, gamble, go to bars or do drugs. If I drink 2 glasses of merlot a week it's a lot. I like the outdoors and being active. Yet, I can't meet women, I'm attracted to, to save my life.

I get positive reactions from women in my travels. I think I look a lot better in person than this pic. I've been out of dating and relationships for 5 years. It's harder now to break the ice than ever. Either they're on the cell phone, engaged in some other distraction or with a companion. I think most of them think I must have someone, so they don't bother.

Maybe part of the problem is I live in one state for 6 months and another, 1200 miles away the other 6. I didn't think this would be an obstacle. I rather thought it might enhance my options. Seems like the women in Fl think I have someone here and verse vicea... Can't win I guess. And online dating seems like scraping the bottom of the ocean..

Is it that big a deal that I migrate. I don't see why a great chemistry couldn't end up with both of us being migrators..
While I'm not being critical, you start off you post with a few superficial things. I think you probably should be focusing on your personality traits that set you apart. Being a 51 yr old guy you seem a little stuck in the "things" that a man's suppose to do, I'm guilty of it too, things like career, money, basic "status" symbols. I think a lot of women in your age bracket aren't as impressed with those sort of things, not as much as a woman who is younger.

Don't get me wrong they are good things.

I think the dual residences might be a little tiresome to a female as well, most women 45 and above aren't retired and have to work and be somewhat rooted. If that is a strict requirement, that might pose an issue.

Good luck to you.

Old 06-04-2010, 09:49 PM

213 posts, read 416,667 times
Quote:

Well, that depends are the women you're attracted usually half your age? If they are, then you better have a big cash flow to attract them young ones.

Old 06-05-2010, 08:19 AM

1,135 posts, read 2,191,598 times
Quote:

I happen to think dual residency sounds wonderful and would like to do it myself. But if dating??? Even better!!! If I was seeing someone and couldn't always head south,then I'd miss them all the more. However, if they were getting on my nerves or I needed space, I'd meet up with them later. Sounds ideal to me! Now why can't I meet someone like that!

Old 06-05-2010, 08:28 AM

470 posts, read 1,155,346 times
Quote:

Ummm...your 51 and you REALLY can't see the reason(s) why women would not be attracted to you?
If you have been able in the past to meet women and have successful relationships,then unless you have experienced a disfiguring injury or you have decided to stop bathing daily, things should not have changed.

You probably have been told by female acquaintances or family members the reason(s) that women aren't attracted to you and for some reason you chose to ignore them.This has been a mistake,IMHO.

Women haven't changed. You probably need to. Go back to your female friends and relatives and seek their advice. Whether or not you "like" their suggestions,try them out see if they work. If they do, then you'll discover the source of your issues.

If they DON'T..then you may require professional assistance.

Old 06-05-2010, 08:39 AM

Location: Everybody is going to hurt you, you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for-B Marley
9,516 posts, read 20,003,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cocytus View Post
Ummm...your 51 and you REALLY can't see the reason(s) why women would not be attracted to you?
If you have been able in the past to meet women and have successful relationships,then unless you have experienced a disfiguring injury or you have decided to stop bathing daily, things should not have changed.

You probably have been told by female acquaintances or family members the reason(s) that women aren't attracted to you and for some reason you chose to ignore them.This has been a mistake,IMHO.

Women haven't changed. You probably need to. Go back to your female friends and relatives and seek their advice. Whether or not you "like" their suggestions,try them out see if they work. If they do, then you'll discover the source of your issues.

If they DON'T..then you may require professional assistance.
Boy o'boy. I'm not even sure I know what this means.

Old 06-05-2010, 09:16 AM

16,077 posts, read 28,552,612 times
You haven't mentioned trying dating sites, its an option. Specify exactly what you want.
Your lifestyle is pretty much what retirees do, spend 6 months in Florida 6 months in another location. So, you need someone who has work that can be done from anywhere, or you need to be willing to support this women.

Old 06-05-2010, 09:18 AM

Location: Everybody is going to hurt you, you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for-B Marley
9,516 posts, read 20,003,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by virgode View Post
You haven't mentioned trying dating sites, its an option. Specify exactly what you want.
Your lifestyle is pretty much what retirees do, spend 6 months in Florida 6 months in another location. So, you need someone who has work that can be done from anywhere, or you need to be willing to support this women.
Actually, he said:
Quote:
And online dating seems like scraping the bottom of the ocean..
but I agree with the bolded.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships