Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-09-2010, 01:49 PM

15,395 posts, read 22,581,838 times

Advertisements

To some of the posters responding to my thread. PLEASE keep in mind the thread is NOT about whether God exists or not.

The premise of the thread is to debate if and why some religious beliefs are inherently dangerous to our society's survivability and viability. Posting outside of these parameters is an attempt to derail and hijack the thread in my opinion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2010, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Ice View Post
Pittston2Sarasota, you started a really interesting thread here with some great links. Reps coming your way when I can give them to you again.

It's a pity that the bastions of illogical obfuscation come along and attempt to derail it by their derogatory and insulting posting style. Arequipa, I really enjoyed your posts they were clear and concise and to the point, not hiding behind a veil of words and put-downs as others (ironically, the very ones who claim a higher level of enlightenment) tend to do.
THANKYOU.....Lady Ice....I put a lot of work and effort into starting this thread and many subsequent posts, along with links and educational videos to back up my assertions. Unfortunately I have sometimes been rewarded with name calling and immature debating tactics. When I respond with humor it is taken as arrogance..

Old 08-09-2010, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Les View Post
Hmmmm..WHEN SOME RELIGIOUS BELIEFS BECOME DANGEROUS????......apply the same ideal to science and the atomic or nuclear Bombs they have made in abundance....Just have to push a button....and all hell breaks loose!...Thanks to science eh...
And let us not forget the Auto and airoplanes, trains and other pollution devices devised to kill the planet and turn it into a biohazrdious estate, with your support of course...

And you fear religion??
It is PEOPLE NOT SCIENCE that use our knowledge to HATE and wage WAR.......Science is neutral...it is humans who use it to do harm to others and our planet....mainly out of greed and hate.....the latter seems to be prevalently displayed in this thread.. And let me add THE MAJORITY OF WARS STARTED BY PEOPLE HAVE BEEN THE DIRECT RESULT OF RELIGIOUS ISSUES as in the CRUSADES and JIHADS....and let's not leave out THE INQUISITIONS.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crusades

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jihad

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Holy_war

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inquisition

Last edited by PITTSTON2SARASOTA; 08-09-2010 at 02:30 PM..

Old 08-09-2010, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikk View Post
No they are not scientific fact!
Apparently you cannot read links, nor understand educational videos; let alone interpret scientific data from satellites for example OR you REFUSE to read/watch/interpret.

Either way.....Believe what you wish, but they are established scientific facts.. Ask any reputable scientist????? This is the premise of my thread.....when faith supercedes logic. THANKS for helping.

Old 08-09-2010, 02:17 PM

Quote:
No they are not scientific fact!
Since you "seem" to think you are well versed in SCIENCE......PLEASE list your ACADEMIC CREDENTIALS....other posters have asked you earlier and I see no reply from you. I have listed my University Credentials....where are yours?????

Old 08-09-2010, 02:23 PM

64,069 posts, read 40,345,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PITTSTON2SARASOTA View Post
To some of the posters responding to my thread. PLEASE keep in mind the thread is NOT about whether God exists or not.

The premise of the thread is to debate if and why some religious beliefs are inherently dangerous to our society's survivability and viability. Posting outside of these parameters is an attempt to derail and hijack the thread in my opinion.
My apologies if you see my contributions as a hijack. It is not my intent. I am convinced that belief in GOD (NOT RELIGION) is a positive thing for society . . . hence my vigorous defense of it. However, there are RELIGIONS that are definitely destructive and dangerous. I just want to retain GOD . . . while we drain the dirty bath water (dangerous religious beliefs) from the tub.

Old 08-09-2010, 02:36 PM

50,106 posts, read 20,862,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
My apologies if you see my contributions as a hijack. It is not my intent. I am convinced that belief in GOD (NOT RELIGION) is a positive thing for society . . . hence my vigorous defense of it. However, there are RELIGIONS that are definitely destructive and dangerous. I just want to retain GOD . . . while we drain the dirty bath water (dangerous religious beliefs) from the tub.
I can relate to that. Just so the findings of science are not dismissed simply because they disagree with what's in the Bible. I don't say not questioned - that's good for science - but not dismissed out of hand.

I rather think that you may find it hard to convince believers that their religion is dangerous while retaining a conviction about God, though.

Old 08-09-2010, 02:41 PM

50,106 posts, read 20,862,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PITTSTON2SARASOTA View Post
THANKYOU.....Lady Ice....I put a lot of work and effort into starting this thread and many subsequent posts, along with links and educational videos to back up my assertions. Unfortunately I have sometimes been rewarded with name calling and immature debating tactics. When I respond with humor it is taken as arrogance..
I'll give my support, too for some excellent posts. Science deals in evidence. It is not good sense to reject it for no reason other that it is feared that it will somehow undermine faith. It is not good reasoning to attack it as though wars and the like were all the fault of scientific discoveries. I do not want to get into the great atrocity count, but the fact is that, even if science had laid waste the earth, that would not be a single particle of reason to say that what it discovered wasn't true.

Old 08-09-2010, 03:02 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,594,624 times
Quote:
Science is good, but evolution is not good science.
Evolution is a theory based on science. Proven absolutely, not yet, but there are staggering amounts of evidence, with new evidence being found every day.

VS. a collection of fables written 3,000 - 4,000 years ago when the earth was flat, and the center of the entire universe.

The sciences used to investigate the theory of evolution, anthropology, geology, biology, and others have developed a theory of evolution, supported by mountains of evidence.

Much much less is know about the theory of Gravity, so you better tie yourself down when you casually dismiss theories that disprove your fables, as you might just float off into space.

Theories hold value, are rigorously supported by the scientific process, in fact one holds you in your chair right now. But that is just a theory

Old 08-09-2010, 04:17 PM

"Genetically modified crop on the loose and EVOLVING in the U.S. Midwest"...Scientific FACT from Scientific American Magazine; one of the foremost and most respected Science publications in the world>>>>>

Genetically Modified Crop on the Loose and Evolving in U.S. Midwest: Scientific American
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality