Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-08-2010, 08:42 AM

50,088 posts, read 20,738,332 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
Arequipa re post #89
I do not know how you can make it clearer than that and how it can possibly be refuted in any reasonable manner.
Thank you! I need to be reassured in the face of the supreme confidence of an erudite bod such as Mystic that I am not missing something incredibly obvious, even though the logical structure seems sound to me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2010, 08:45 AM

454 posts, read 498,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
current theories ignore patterns of development. please read 50 years of change by w robson (1980).
from horse and buggy to rocket ships.
You see, that's why i'm torn. I like horses, and I like rocket ships. I just don't know what to do with myself.

Old 08-08-2010, 09:39 AM

1,289 posts, read 2,126,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GldnRule View Post
You know AREQUIPA, I have addressed this many times. And your contention is true...all things being equal. But when debating an issue that already has 85-90% in favor of one premise...and only 10-15% in favor of a competing premise...the logical position would be that the small minority has the burden of proving the premise that is so uncommonly held.

Let me explain this as best I know. Your post asks for the illogical.

Why? Because there are fallacies of logic and you want to use one of them. You ask, which one?

The fallacy of disproving a negative.

Why?

Because proving a positive (There IS a God!) requires one example. God. If it's true then it can be done.

Disproving the negative of that (Show me there ISN'T a God!) requires an infinite number of examples. That's an impossibility.

Hence, the burden of proof is upon the one making the positive assertion. It has nothing to do with belief. Nothing to do with how many people say it. It has nothing to do with anything other than pure, mathematical Logic.

Let me put it to you this way. I say there are Unicorns. Go out into the world, and prove to me there isn't a Unicorn. (In other words, I'm asking you to disprove the negative of my assertion.)

To do that, you have to show me every single item in the Universe and demonstrate that it is not a Unicorn.

Hence, the burden of proof is upon me to show that there IS a Unicorn. I just have to show one.

Get the point now?

Last edited by Astron1000; 08-08-2010 at 10:14 AM..

Old 08-08-2010, 10:24 AM

15,395 posts, read 22,531,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
I saw no mention of the bible in boogieman's post....The fact remains that in days gone by most people thought the earth was flat and the sun revolved around the earth...That was ignorance then, but much ignorance remains today, some of it willful, like the denial of evolution, the origin of species, including humans, and the age of the earth and universe.

Medieval Christianity believed the earth was flat. Where did they get that belief?
Logical posting...part of that problem was people believing....for some reason, which we all know...that the Earth and our species are supreme in the scheme of things and hence the center of everything....including our Universe and now Multiverse. .

The facts/theories you mention are at the heart of my thread...these are scientific facts; like the internal combustion engine. We improve our theories and refine/adjust them accordingly....like improved effeciency; however the basic tenents/theories remain essentially correct..

Old 08-08-2010, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikk View Post
And you were there to reccord that, right?!
LOL........No..... but this satellite, which can determine temperature variations to many decimal places "was"; by taking a picture of the BIG BANG from 379,000 years after the initial explosion....PLEASE read links and my prior science posts, before commenting/posting..
Wilkinson Microwave Anisotropy Probe (WMAP)

Wilkinson Microwave Anisotropy Probe - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

File:WMAP2.jpg - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

WMAP 7 Year Mission Results

Here's the video and picture>>>>>

YouTube - ‪COBE to WMAP Sky Map [HD]‬‎

YouTube - ‪wmap our the universe‬‎

YouTube - ‪Cosmology background radiation (CMB)‬‎

YouTube - ‪The Cosmic Microwave Background‬‎

YouTube - ‪Big Bang Cosmology: Looking Back To The Dawn Of Time‬‎

Old 08-08-2010, 10:53 AM

Quote:
PITTSTON2SARASOTA, your arguement is only valid if evolution was true. Since it is not then your assumptions are invalid.

Science is good, but evolution is not good science. In fact evolution itself is just a story to explain few unrelated scientific facts to prove the existance of a new religion (a belief is some far fetch story). Evolution is not a theory, but rather a poorly supported hypothesis full of conjecture. Full of the waving of hands and don't look behind the curtain at the man pushing buttons. Claims of mutations that never happened, but we believed they did (and yes some mutations did happen to God's created kinds of animals). Only if we could have more data we could prove evolution true beyond a shadow of a doubt. But you cannot. And it is not!

LOL...they are scientific fact....regardless if YOU accept the theories or not...I see no links to back up ANY of your assertions.

Old 08-08-2010, 10:56 AM

33,548 posts, read 37,151,051 times
Last evening I watched this documentary, one of the best explanations of evolution I have seen...Worth watching if you have the time. Note...This video is not available in Canada due to copyright restrictions.

http://video.pbs.org/video/1372073556/

Last edited by sanspeur; 08-08-2010 at 11:24 AM.. Reason: posted wrong video

Old 08-08-2010, 11:05 AM

454 posts, read 498,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Astron1000 View Post
Let me explain this as best I know. Your post asks for the illogical.

Why? Because there are fallacies of logic and you want to use one of them. You ask, which one?

The fallacy of disproving a negative.

Why?

Because proving a positive (There IS a God!) requires one example. God. If it's true then it can be done.

Disproving the negative of that (Show me there ISN'T a God!) requires an infinite number of examples. That's an impossibility.

Hence, the burden of proof is upon the one making the positive assertion. It has nothing to do with belief. Nothing to do with how many people say it. It has nothing to do with anything other than pure, mathematical Logic.

Let me put it to you this way. I say there are Unicorns. Go out into the world, and prove to me there isn't a Unicorn. (In other words, I'm asking you to disprove the negative of my assertion.)

To do that, you have to show me every single item in the Universe and demonstrate that it is not a Unicorn.

Hence, the burden of proof is upon me to show that there IS a Unicorn. I just have to show one.

Get the point now?
I always figured that every creation has to have a creator, otherwise it can't be a creation. And I think all would agree that everything, including ourselves, are a creation. Therefore, there must be a creator.

Old 08-08-2010, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post
Have you ever taken an upper level college Physical/Biological Anthropology course? And not through Liberty U or Bob Jones...but a legitimate University?
SORRY JET......I thought/misinterpreted you wanted me to list my academic credentials.....but what the heck...it's out there now....LOL... ;-))) I see you wanted Nikk's....well maybe he/she will respond!

THE PENNSYLVANIA STATE UNIVERSITY...MAIN CAMPUS which ranks first in the world for EARTH SCIENCES and GEOGRAPHY>>>>>
Here are the GEOLOGY rankings>>>>>
Top 10 Geology Colleges For 2009 - The Best Departments / Programs Ranked

GEOGRAPHY>>>>>
Best College for geography major? - Yahoo! Answers

EARTH SCIENCES>>>>>
Rankings - Earth Sciences - Graduate Schools - Education - US News and World Report

PHYSICS>>>>>
Rankings - Physics - Graduate Schools - Education - US News and World Report

COLLEGE OF EARTH and MINERAL SCIENCES>>>>>(my expertise)
Penn State College of Earth and Mineral Sciences - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

And now...may we have your credentials and school rankings???????.

Last edited by PITTSTON2SARASOTA; 08-08-2010 at 11:14 AM..

Old 08-08-2010, 11:09 AM

Quote:
No I was not there, but God was there for creation, since he created everything. And each other event that you have mentioned were witnessed and written down. These individual eye-witness accounts were compiled in what we now call the bible.

Faith is evidence, evidence of what you cannot see. And the evidence we find like bones and rocks are interpreted and interpretations are directed by our presupositions. And presupositions are just that pre-supposed beliefs. My belief just happens to be that God created everything like he said in the bible and you believe that you are just a variation of a chimpanzee.

I am one who was created in the image of God.

Megalomania - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality