Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2010, 10:20 AM

180 posts, read 217,282 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikk View Post
That was even the scientific belief at the time! So you can't fault the Christians when the scientists believed that too.
I wasnt faulting christians for believing the earth was flat.

I was faulting allenk's logic that since the majority of people believe christianity then it must be true.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2010, 10:21 AM

33,548 posts, read 37,151,051 times
Quote:
That was even the scientific belief at the time! So you can't fault the Christians when the scientists believed that too.
Really now? Were you there?....The paradigm of a spherical earth was developed in ancient Greek astronomy, beginning with Pythagoras (6th century BC) Aristotle accepted the spherical shape of the earth on empirical grounds around 330 BC, and knowledge of the spherical earth gradually began to spread beyond the Hellenistic world from then on. During the early Middle Ages, virtually all scholars maintained the spherical viewpoint first expressed by the Ancient Greeks

That medieval Christianity believed in a flat earth has been referred to as "The Myth of the Flat Earth"

Old 08-06-2010, 10:21 AM

16,294 posts, read 28,538,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calmdude View Post
In some southern states, over 50% of science teachers believe evolution is only a theory.
And that is in the public schools, probably 95% in the church run private schools.

Old 08-06-2010, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
And that is in the public schools, probably 95% in the church run private schools.
I live in the south and went to a private school , they dont even teach it as a theory , they skip over it. Not only that they skipped anything that would make you doubt the "TRUTH".

Old 08-06-2010, 10:36 AM

also, they told us that creationism is the only possible explanation for the beggining of the universe. I dont believe any certain theory of the orgins of the universe but for them to tell children its the only possible explanation is BS.

Old 08-06-2010, 10:45 AM

2,595 posts, read 4,440,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
No, but were you there to witness the creation of Adam and Eve, the chattering snake, talking donkey, the great flood, virgin birth, Jesus walking on water, his return from the grave?

Evidence vs faith....faith looses every time.
No I was not there, but God was there for creation, since he created everything. And each other event that you have mentioned were witnessed and written down. These individual eye-witness accounts were compiled in what we now call the bible.

Faith is evidence, evidence of what you cannot see. And the evidence we find like bones and rocks are interpreted and interpretations are directed by our presupositions. And presupositions are just that pre-supposed beliefs. My belief just happens to be that God created everything like he said in the bible and you believe that you are just a variation of a chimpanzee.

I am one who was created in the image of God.

Old 08-06-2010, 10:55 AM

Quote:
No I was not there, but God was there for creation, since he created everything. And each other event that you have mentioned were witnessed and written down. These individual eye-witness accounts were compiled in what we now call the bible.

Faith is evidence, evidence of what you cannot see. And the evidence we find like bones and rocks are interpreted and interpretations are directed by our presupositions. And presupositions are just that pre-supposed beliefs. My belief just happens to be that God created everything like he said in the bible and you believe that you are just a variation of a chimpanzee.

I am one who was created in the image of God.
O you mean that god that lies to us and tells us he loves us. The god who could have stopped pain and suffering from the beggining but chose not to. wow what an amazing being he is.

Old 08-06-2010, 01:30 PM

13,621 posts, read 12,735,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PITTSTON2SARASOTA View Post
Your assertions are essentially incorrect and based on my scientific knowledge simply absurd; since Dark Energy is now causing the Universe to accelerate in it's expansion and will NEVER collapse back in on itself as once postulated.

This is the "beauty" of Science/Mathematics....it seeks the truth based on observations NOT personal conjectures as you are doing. And when Science is wrong, which it sometimes is, it refines it's theories and discards nonfactual information based on someone's pet/personal beliefs.

Also I see NO scientific links to back up your post/assertions>>>>>And see the previous posts on the BIG BANG...it's a fact as sure as you expect your keyboard to function as you use a computer and the internet to have this conversation.

Dark energy - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Accelerating universe - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Big Rip - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Large Hadron Collider - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

YouTube - ‪Dark Energy Rules the Universe‬‎

YouTube - ‪21. Dark Energy and the Accelerating Universe and the Big Rip‬‎

YouTube - ‪End of the Universe-The Big RIP‬‎

YouTube - ‪Birth And Death Of The Universe‬‎

YouTube - ‪Cosmic Inflation and the Accelerating Universe - Part 1‬‎

YouTube - ‪Cosmic Inflation and the Accelerating Universe - Part 2‬‎

YouTube - ‪The LHC - The Large Hadron Collider ( L.H.C )‬‎ .

i never said my theory was the correct one i said it was a theory... and as for the big bang it's just that a theory i don't care if 99.9 percent of all the scientific community says that the big bang is the correct theory, it does not prove they are right. there is no 100 percent proof that the big bang started from a particle billions of times smaller than a quark.. and how do know that the expanding universe won't slow down and peter out.. if you could take a measurement of a nuclear explosion from when the first ignition of the chain reaction was commenced you would see exceleration of particles up to a certain point,then the outward blast would start to slow down and peter out. they used to think radio waves would travel thru space forever now they have found out that they peter out after some billions of miles.. the reason the universe is still expanding and speeding up is that it has not reached it's terminal velocity yet. it's like looking out with a telescope from the center point of the nuclear blast you would see the particles expanding away from the nucleus center point at a higher velocity untill enough time passes then you would start to see the slow down and finaly peter out.. the thing with the universe expanding is it probably has billons of years to go befor it reaches it's terminal velocity and starts to slow down and finaly peters out.. so i guess we humans will never know the full truth of the expanding universe cause we will not survive the next millenium. we will have long been extinct when the universe reaches it's fullest expansion.. the expanding universe is a speck in an infinite amount of space and time..

Old 08-06-2010, 01:44 PM

11,798 posts, read 25,192,079 times
calmdude: Evolution is "only a theory". But the "only a" part of the phrase indicates the common misunderstanding of what a theory is. After all, gravity is only a theory as well. A theory isn't a wild guess!

Old 08-06-2010, 01:53 PM

4,173 posts, read 6,688,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catman View Post
calmdude: Evolution is "only a theory". But the "only a" part of the phrase indicates the common misunderstanding of what a theory is. After all, gravity is only a theory as well. A theory isn't a wild guess!
I agree. It is the way the phrase is used - almost sounds like it is not even a bare-bones hypothesis. God, OTOH, is a proven fact as evidenced by the warm fuzzies in your heart and the mythical tales .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality