Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2010, 02:30 PM

7,732 posts, read 12,628,268 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by boogieman View Post
I wasnt faulting christians for believing the earth was flat.

I was faulting allenk's logic that since the majority of people believe christianity then it must be true.
Well it can't not be true either. Do you have proof God doesn't exist? Nope. So you can't say we are under a delusional if you can't even prove he does not exist.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2010, 02:57 PM

180 posts, read 217,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allenk893 View Post
Well it can't not be true either. Do you have proof God doesn't exist? Nope. So you can't say we are under a delusional if you can't even prove he does not exist.
I never said I didnt believe there might be a god at all. however, I know YOUR christian god is fake. I have read enough ancient mythology to know that your god , your bible , and your jesus are reproductions of pagan gods that came before it.

Old 08-06-2010, 03:04 PM

13,138 posts, read 22,824,585 times
Default FAITH And FOOLISHNESS: When Some Religious Beliefs Become Dangerous To Our Species Survival And Viability.

I read a book about Mars last week where the author lamented about how limited and valuable research time (and money) was wasted by demands from the government, pressured by the American taxpayers to take additional photos of the martian "face" despite the fact it was obvious the "face" was just a trick of light and low resolution photography. They had to specifically and laboriously align the orbiter to do it, loose out on the chance to gain useful knowledge about Mars and people STILL claim the photos they took are fake and that NASA is hiding "the truth" about the face.

Still, to say religion will destroy our species is silly. If anything, religion has helped humanity by providing a placebo and a brutally effective control mechanism for humanity. It doesn't help us progress much scientifically though, but who said evolution and survival were cumulative processes?

Old 08-06-2010, 03:28 PM

11,798 posts, read 25,194,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chango View Post
If anything, religion has helped humanity by providing a placebo and a brutally effective control mechanism for humanity.
To me, those sound singularly unhelpful to humanity.

Old 08-06-2010, 03:47 PM

13,138 posts, read 22,824,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catman View Post
To me, those sound singularly unhelpful to humanity.
They keep us alive and stupid... and stupid people still reproduce well.

Old 08-06-2010, 07:11 PM

15,395 posts, read 22,533,364 times
[quote=AREQUIPA;15359156]Thanks, Pittson2saratosa, for your posts. They are very informative of the cutting edge of 'Whodunnit' and should be required watching for anyone wanting to argue about it, whether for or against.

I think you deserve a Rep. [/quot

THANKYOU....my intent is NOT to attack religion but to point out that some scientific theories are as much a fact as me/us depending on our technology to use the internet or antibiotics to save our lives. There are facts in Science that simply can no longer be ignored and swept under the rug because they contradict some religious dogma.

As mentioned this is why we are falling behind the rest of the world...our military is the only facet of our society keeping us "on top of the heap" and as our educational system fails, as is our economy; we will not be able to maintain our military dominance....this is pretty much what happened to Rome as they entered a long spiral towards irrelevance and I feel we now are on a similar path.

Also posters need to keep in mind that Science does NOT deny that there MAY be a god(or advanced society ) that is watching "the show"; for that is an unquantifiable(is that a word...LOL) and not an observable phenomena that can be studied with the Scientific Method or broken down into mathematical equations.

There was a BIG BANG.....what came before may have been a collision of BRANES that iniated that BANG, for we now are pretty sure we live in a MULTIVERSE with many other Universes and many Big Bangs creating other Universes.

Theoritically it will be possible to go further back in time BEFORE the BANG but eventually we will reach a point where there was an initial starting point...Science concedes that it may never be able to ascertain what happened BEFORE that point in time or what caused that initial Bang. Just like how the Laws of Physics break down inside a Black Hole and so far we can only conjecture as to what is going on at the singularity at it's center.

Cosmogony - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Scientific method - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Membrane (M-Theory) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Multiverse - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Black hole - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Gravitational singularity - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

YouTube - ‪String Theory Multiverse - Sergei Dubovsky (SETI Talks)‬‎

YouTube - ‪Multiverse Theory by Dr Michio Kaku‬‎

YouTube - ‪The Universe Parallel Universes Clip 1‬‎

YouTube - ‪The Universe Parallel Universes Clip 2 - Space Travel‬‎

YouTube - ‪The Universe Unexplained Mysteries Clip 3 - Before Big Bang‬‎

YouTube - ‪The Universe: Beyond the Big Bang Part 10/10‬‎

These are only a sampling of some of the GREAT educational videos available on YouTube

Old 08-06-2010, 07:18 PM

YouTube - ‪Aeons Before the Big Bang - Sir Roger Penrose Christmas Lecture‬‎

Old 08-06-2010, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calmdude View Post
In some southern states, over 50% of science teachers believe evolution is only a theory. We value false piety and god, not science. We are not impressed much with well-read people or people who question basic assumptions - some mock them as "elitist". Many people are falling behind the times, whereas in other countries, people are starting to catch up and make those countries competitive. I just hope we do not degenerate to a christian theocracy - even now, many religious nuts are in full force pushing their agenda and feigning prosecution. Ignorance is not a bliss and we will all pay as the collective decisions we make (like who we elect) impact how we live. We are the most powerful nation on earth, and our decisions also have major influence on the rest of the world. Scary that there is so much ignorance around.
I really terrifies me when Science teachers deny science facts....makes me question their credentials/education and what University they attended. Living in Florida I have noticed an abysmal educational system here with a 41% high school drop out rate...truly appalling and very disturbing......and Americans are brainwashed into believing we have a good High School educational system..

Old 08-06-2010, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by allenk893 View Post
This is the problem I have with Atheist. It doesn't matter if a whole continent doesn't agree with a scientific theory, you'll still find a way to put down the intelligence of an entire nation. You have to be kidding me right now. You think just because a group of people don't agree with every scientific theory, they are unintelligent somehow? Based on what? Opinion alone? That's a load of crap for you to make a ridiculous generalization like that. There are Christians with bachelors and masters and Ph D's of various studies all over the country. Your really trying to put down the American people and their intelligence just because they don't agree with a scientific theory that has never even been proven as a fact. Not even a fact. It's sad that your arrogance and pride is really what delusions you into thinking we're the crazy and stupid ones but as time goes on, your still scratching your heads thinking why the majority of Americans (various people that work in huge corporations, run business, and are educators) still think that a God created the heavens and earth.
LOL...you are reacting emotionally to a rational debate. The facts are out there...I have presented my links for corroboration. HOWEVER...I see NO LINKS to back up your ridiculously simplified and incorrect assertions.

Old 08-06-2010, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
I think you just made his point allen... The US still has a long way to go I'm afraid.
LOL.....TOUCHE'......poster verified my points for me with an emotionally charged and irrational post/response; instead of having an intelligent dialogue containg links etc. to back up any assertions and claims. .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality