Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2010, 07:10 PM

19 posts, read 47,989 times

Advertisements

Both judaism and christianity have scripture which prohibits genetic modification(Lev 19:19,Mat 15:13). In the u.s. foods that are genetically modified are not labelled as such. Chances are if you ve eaten ketchup lately it was made with genetically modified tomatoes. Ingredients are put on labels of food for both health and religious reasons. If someone is allergic to a food they can just check the label to see if its in the ingredients, the same goes for those who are religiously opposed to a certain food. Yet those who are allergic or religiously opposed to genetically modified foods can not read the label to find this. Not only are plants and animals being genetically modified but bacteria, viruses and other microorganisms are being genetically modified. These microorganisms are being put in many vaccines(along with aborted human fetus cells). I ask that jews and christians talk to their religious leaders about there concerns and also write to their local and state politicians about labelling genetically modified foods. I would appreciate any input on other ways we can approach this issue.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2010, 08:29 PM

6,034 posts, read 10,683,499 times
Grow all your own food, or stop worrying about things that aren't important.

Old 08-28-2010, 08:31 PM

33,536 posts, read 37,140,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by c.brons View Post
Both judaism and christianity have scripture which prohibits genetic modification(Lev 19:19,Mat 15:13). In the u.s. foods that are genetically modified are not labelled as such. Chances are if you ve eaten ketchup lately it was made with genetically modified tomatoes. Ingredients are put on labels of food for both health and religious reasons. If someone is allergic to a food they can just check the label to see if its in the ingredients, the same goes for those who are religiously opposed to a certain food. Yet those who are allergic or religiously opposed to genetically modified foods can not read the label to find this. Not only are plants and animals being genetically modified but bacteria, viruses and other microorganisms are being genetically modified. These microorganisms are being put in many vaccines(along with aborted human fetus cells). I ask that jews and christians talk to their religious leaders about there concerns and also write to their local and state politicians about labelling genetically modified foods. I would appreciate any input on other ways we can approach this issue.
If we didn't have genetically modified food more than half the world would starve to death....Is that what you are aiming for?

Old 08-28-2010, 09:12 PM

In response to sanspeur. If we used the land we use for lawns to grow food(not genetically modified) as well as the land we use for golf courses and christmas tree farms and to build another shopping plaza when there is one a block away then there would be enough food. The we need genetically modified foods to feed the planet argument is put forth by the manufactures of genetically modified foods because unlike regular food genetically modified foods can be patented and they will make alot more money off of this. How do you know what is in genetically modified foods if it is not labelled? How do you know there isnt human dna in the food you are eating? There is aborted human fetus cells in many vaccines, so how do you know they arent adding dna from humans to genetically modified foods. Mad cow disease began when people began feeding cows parts of other cows. How do you know we wont get a disease from genetically modified foods? In the u.s. more people are obese than ever more than 50% of the population is overweight. What if those overweight people were to caloric restrict(Prov 25:16) and give the rest to those who are starving? That alone would feed at least 5% of the earths population.

Old 08-28-2010, 09:22 PM

6,034 posts, read 10,683,499 times
Quote:
In response to sanspeur. If we used the land we use for lawns to grow food(not genetically modified) as well as the land we use for golf courses and christmas tree farms and to build another shopping plaza when there is one a block away then there would be enough food. The we need genetically modified foods to feed the planet argument is put forth by the manufactures of genetically modified foods because unlike regular food genetically modified foods can be patented and they will make alot more money off of this. How do you know what is in genetically modified foods if it is not labelled? How do you know there isnt human dna in the food you are eating? There is aborted human fetus cells in many vaccines, so how do you know they arent adding dna from humans to genetically modified foods. Mad cow disease began when people began feeding cows parts of other cows. How do you know we wont get a disease from genetically modified foods? In the u.s. more people are obese than ever more than 50% of the population is overweight. What if those overweight people were to caloric restrict(Prov 25:16) and give the rest to those who are starving? That alone would feed at least 5% of the earths population.
Tell you what...go get a degree in biology and also nutrition, drop the useless biblical references and the tin-foil hat, and then come back for a discussion on this topic? Because from the way you're going...you're going to get your butt handed to you on this one.

Old 08-28-2010, 09:29 PM

Quote:

All you are doing here is giving me one more reason to dislike the bible...Not that I needed it....What you are saying is just a lot of nonsense...What conspiracy sites have you been visiting? Practically everything you put on your table has been modified, from corn to strawberries and everything in between.
You need to stop watching Soylent Green....It is just fiction.

The world population is almost 7 billion people and is predicted to double in the next 50 years. Ensuring an adequate food supply for this booming population is going to be a major challenge in the years to come. GM foods promise to meet this need in a number of ways:

Old 08-28-2010, 09:35 PM

527 posts, read 1,281,969 times
Quote:
^ This. Not to mention that the rats, guinea pigs and other lab animals scientists tested it on got cancer.

Old 08-28-2010, 09:36 PM

527 posts, read 1,281,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
All you are doing here is giving me one more reason to dislike the bible...Not that I needed it....What you are saying is just a lot of nonsense...What conspiracy sites have you been visiting? Practically everything you put on your table has been modified, from corn to strawberries and everything in between.
You need to stop watching Soylent Green....It is just fiction.

The world population is almost 7 billion people and is predicted to double in the next 50 years. Ensuring an adequate food supply for this booming population is going to be a major challenge in the years to come. GM foods promise to meet this need in a number of ways:
Enjoy your cancer then since you obviously can't take the time to do real research. Been listening to Fox News again?

Old 08-28-2010, 09:39 PM

I have a degree in nutrition and im very willing to hear a valid argument with real statistical data that isnt paid for by the companies who make genetically modified foods. There have been several instances in the u.s. alone where genetically modified food that wasnt approved for human consumption made it way into our food supply. There was even an incidence with taco bell having used corn which wasnt approved for human consumption. This is a religion forum so i believe in the context of the forum it would make sense that i was using biblical references or quoting any other religion with dietary restrictions because we are not made aware of what dna from what other organism is in the food we eat. In regards to your earlier post of grow my own food. What if i grow my own food that is not genetically modified outdoors and my neighbor grows a plant that is genetically modified that crossbreeds with my plant? I would have to grow my plants indoors in an airtight room and pump oxygen, co2 ect. into it.

Old 08-28-2010, 09:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smallville View Post
Enjoy your cancer then since you obviously can't take the time to do real research. Been listening to Fox News again?
No, but I also do not visit paranoid conspiracy sites. If you don't like GM foods then avoid them... How to Avoid Genetically Modified Foods - wikiHow
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality