Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2007, 10:02 PM

2,267 posts, read 3,298,039 times

Advertisements

I personally think that if you try and show her the error of her ways, you will be locked in endless battle with her.

If you want to remain friends with her just try and get the point across to her that you respect her choice in her religion and you expect her to do the same in your choice. Point out to her that you practice the religion you do because you feel its right for you...no one else can make that choice for you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2007, 10:23 PM

13,640 posts, read 24,509,987 times
Sun..I assume you are a christian..If your friend is truly your friend, she will still be your friend after you tell her that you are just as passionate about your beliefs as she is hers, and that you have no desire too "be converted" to her religion. I am a believer and spent over half of my life in a religious situation that I entered because family shamed me into it. I always had questions about it, but all my questions and reasonings were considered sacrelig. Again if you are in a religion that you are satisfied and comfortable with don't listen to anyone about changing. God will answer your prayers and show you where he wants you to be, if you listen

Old 06-30-2007, 10:53 PM

50 posts, read 50,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marks View Post
I take it your not a Christian? If it's Christianity she wants you to convert to DO IT! You will find no other TRUTH.
Eh, not quite. There's actually many other truths out there. Many of which are far more credible than Christianity.

Old 07-01-2007, 12:07 PM

25,080 posts, read 16,328,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marks View Post
I take it your not a Christian? If it's Christianity she wants you to convert to DO IT! You will find no other TRUTH. If it's not, then forget it.
I don't why u would take it I am not a Christian...I believe...I just do not believe the way my friend does and I have no desire to. I just want us to be friends inspite of our differences. I totally agree with u about the conversion thing..."it's worth it."

Old 07-01-2007, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kawgpz550 View Post
Sun Queen, you need to follow your HEART on this! If she cannot still be your friend when she figures out that you will not convert to her religion, then I'm afraid that she wasn't much of a friend to begin with . Although the Bible says we should be with other like minded people and not be unequally yoked in our relationships, I really do not feel that that means that two Christians (from different faiths) should turn their back on another because the other cannot be persuaded! True friends lay down their lives for one another...not turn their back because they do not get their way .
Only YOU know the WHOLE situation and it is up to YOU to PRAY about this and let the Lord lead you in the choices to make AND how to save your friendship if it is HIS WILL!
This is quite a dilemma for you, and quite honestly, I think it is quite unfair of her to have put you in the predicament to begin with
Good luck to you!
Thank you so much for your gentle and wise counsel. I have a meeting with her soon and I will follow your advice before I see her.

Old 07-01-2007, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue62 View Post
Sun..I assume you are a christian..If your friend is truly your friend, she will still be your friend after you tell her that you are just as passionate about your beliefs as she is hers, and that you have no desire too "be converted" to her religion. I am a believer and spent over half of my life in a religious situation that I entered because family shamed me into it. I always had questions about it, but all my questions and reasonings were considered sacrelig. Again if you are in a religion that you are satisfied and comfortable with don't listen to anyone about changing. God will answer your prayers and show you where he wants you to be, if you listen
I am not at all sure she is a true friend. I mean her motivation in being my friend was the potential for my conversion to her religion. I accept that and I am a true friend to her. I think after she got to know me she saw me as more, but she is devout in her faith so she cannot easily accept my disagreement with her and the whole of her religion. From her perspective this may mean we can't be friends. She may see my beliefs as a threat to her faith. I just wish I could communicate- her path to truth is not mine, but as believers we r on the same journey. Thank u for sharing your experience with me

Old 07-01-2007, 12:34 PM

2 posts, read 2,631 times
A true friend would accept you no matter what your religious beliefs are. I am a pagan and have many friends of various religions who never treated me any differently, either at work or outside, when I made them aware of my beliefs. That is the way it should be.

Old 07-01-2007, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisa_from_Debary View Post
I personally think that if you try and show her the error of her ways, you will be locked in endless battle with her.

If you want to remain friends with her just try and get the point across to her that you respect her choice in her religion and you expect her to do the same in your choice. Point out to her that you practice the religion you do because you feel its right for you...no one else can make that choice for you.
I think u r right. I don't want to battle with her nor do I want to hurt her feelings. I will let u know how it goes. I will have to talk with her about this issue very soon. Thank u for your input

Old 07-01-2007, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by weatherologist View Post
I think that you should be honest about your feelings. Tell her the things that you have told us. Let her know that you value her friendship. Be straightforward with her and ask her if your differing faiths will cause a problem. I think that I would discuss that, before I even consider discussing the diffence in your religious beliefs.

Good luck. Really good friends are hard to find. And if she truly is your friend, this should not be an issue.
I am sure u r right. I guess I am sort of hiding out from what I already know is going to happen. The reason I am avoiding being straight forward is because I know I will have to get into specifics about her religion and when I do she is going to be offended and being friends with me will be like agreeing her religious practices are wrong. Eventhough I believe they are I still want to be friends.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality