Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2010, 10:16 AM

1,114 posts, read 2,117,594 times

Advertisements

Maybe we could at least get our coins changed to “ In Demigods we trust” .

This also brings up the question - Since Jesus mother was human, Jesus should be considered a demigod.

Last edited by Aeroman; 10-07-2010 at 10:17 AM.. Reason: added a wink.....;)

Old 10-07-2010, 10:22 AM

13,138 posts, read 22,824,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melvin.George View Post
Just because 70% of the population believes in virgin birth, miracles and resurrection doesn't cut it any longer. Get your 10 commandments and manger scenes out of public places and go to church when you want to talk religion. I'll do you a favor...if I want to hear about the worship of ancient gods I'll go to a church, temple or mosque.
You spend a lot of time in the wrong forum if you don't want to hear about religion.

But yea... it is is fact, all BS when it comes to literal truth.

What I'm trying to decide is whether a lie totally invalidates any value for religion in real life. After all, the liars are all long dead and the whole thing has evolved into a useful sort social organization and excellent coping mechanism for billions of people. Is the best solution really to just throw it all away?

Old 10-07-2010, 10:34 AM

6,034 posts, read 10,686,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chango View Post
You spend a lot of time in the wrong forum if you don't want to hear about religion.
Ahem. It's the Religion and Philosophy forum.

Old 10-07-2010, 10:55 AM

27,232 posts, read 46,673,094 times
And religion is a subset of philosophy, a subset that tries to define a moral and ethical framework by which one can live their life.

Old 10-07-2010, 10:59 AM

7,321 posts, read 6,930,757 times
This all quite amusing , but a waste of time.
Rebellion will always make excuses to maintain their wicked ways, blaming those who try to live better, for being less than perfect, yet those blaming, are making no attempt to do any better them selves . Stupid as hell . I have yet to meet an athiest with a life that exceeds the values blessings intervention and promise ,a genuine Christian enjoys, not to mention all their own giving to help the less fortunate of the world which most churches do and have done from the inception of this country. Christianity has allways been at the fore front of helping other nations better them selves, by education medicine and financial assistance in the billions. including their own lives , not just for the Gospel, but in saving the lives of others. Nonbelievers only get involved if there is a tax write off.
Choosing to turn a blind eye to faith in God is your choice, but mind you , whether you believe in Him or not does not change His existance, nor your accountability to Him in the end.
The overwhelming evidence of God, stands no matter what men use to deny His existance .
Every time I know of, that men have tried to establish some evidence to evolution, it is proven to be false speculation,and the lack of solid evidence and condemned on their own.
True sicience is honest, it does not speculate , other wise it is faith, not science.
So for the athiest to be honest in my opinion, he can say is "I prefir rebellion to god , rather than obligation to god" . But admitting there is a god makes one accountable, and that, is the foster of rebellion.
in my opinion.

Old 10-07-2010, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
And religion is a subset of philosophy, a subset that tries to define a moral and ethical framework by which one can live their life.
All rectangles are squares, but not all squares are rectangles.

Old 10-07-2010, 11:18 AM

3,331 posts, read 5,958,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arleigh View Post
snip of a lot of MASSIVE over-generalization.

Christianity has allways been at the fore front of helping other nations better them selves, by education medicine and financial assistance in the billions. including their own lives , not just for the Gospel, but in saving the lives of others. Nonbelievers only get involved if there is a tax write off.

snip of some other inane stuff.
Really...really? Being American Indian I have to disagree with this statement. Believe it or not, the indigenous people of this contintent were quite happy and content prior to the coming of your "Word". "Manifest Destiny", you know that little thing about it being God's will and it necessarily meant pushing the American Indian out of the way and that wonderful Christian concept about raising us from our "savage and unhappy state" have done so much toward our people "bettering ourselves" haven't they? I would say look around and just see how much Christianity and "civilization" has done for us as a whole. I will submit that we were a lot better off prior to the arrival of your "Word".

As to tax breaks, why don't you ask Pat Robertson and James Dobson about that? They have a lot more first-hand knowledge of that than most folks.

Last edited by Fullback32; 10-07-2010 at 11:39 AM..

Old 10-07-2010, 11:19 AM

16,294 posts, read 28,543,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arleigh View Post
This all quite amusing , but a waste of time.
Rebellion will always make excuses to maintain their wicked ways, blaming those who try to live better, for being less than perfect, yet those blaming, are making no attempt to do any better them selves . Stupid as hell . I have yet to meet an athiest with a life that exceeds the values blessings intervention and promise ,a genuine Christian enjoys, not to mention all their own giving to help the less fortunate of the world which most churches do and have done from the inception of this country. Christianity has allways been at the fore front of helping other nations better them selves, by education medicine and financial assistance in the billions. including their own lives , not just for the Gospel, but in saving the lives of others. Nonbelievers only get involved if there is a tax write off.
Choosing to turn a blind eye to faith in God is your choice, but mind you , whether you believe in Him or not does not change His existance, nor your accountability to Him in the end.
The overwhelming evidence of God, stands no matter what men use to deny His existance .
Every time I know of, that men have tried to establish some evidence to evolution, it is proven to be false speculation,and the lack of solid evidence and condemned on their own.
True sicience is honest, it does not speculate , other wise it is faith, not science.
So for the athiest to be honest in my opinion, he can say is "I prefir rebellion to god , rather than obligation to god" . But admitting there is a god makes one accountable, and that, is the foster of rebellion.
in my opinion.
First that is not because we don't practice self delusion. I am much more moral than a number of so called good christians I know, and know for fact they are unethical greedy bastards, whom will screw over everyone they can for the all mighty dollar.
And don't talk to me about helping others, I have dedicated over 30 years of my life to help others, your ignorance about what Atheists do for their fellow man and community is astonishingly stupid, based on your arrogance of believing in some imaginary god.

The ignorance expressed through your arrogant rant is astonishing, and none of it is factual.

Old 10-07-2010, 11:20 AM

63,838 posts, read 40,118,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury Cougar View Post
All rectangles are squares, but not all squares are rectangles.
Backwards!

Old 10-07-2010, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fullback32 View Post
Really...really? Being American Indian I have to disagree with this statement. Believe it or not, the indiginous people of this contintent were quite happy and content prior to the coming of your "Word". .
Oh, come on. You know smallpox-filled blankets were the Will of God.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality