Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2010, 09:15 AM

23,175 posts, read 26,211,073 times

Advertisements

This is America and I don't have to believe it either but enjoy some of the trappings of Christmas, St Patricks Day, etc etc.,especially when there is seldom much,if any, taxpayer money involved

Much better than these kinds of things.

The City of Berkeley last year paid artist Scott Donahue $196,000 to install
Berkeley taxpayers fund sculpture of dogs ****ting, ****ing, and butt-sniffing · zomblog

The Beasley sculpture, which would cost the city $270,000, was unanimously approved by the City Council
Palo Alto Online : Beasley sculpture approved for Mitchell library

A 6.5-ton sculpture of a bus in Reno, Nev. was paid for with a $228,000 federal economic stimulus grant and funds from the local government
Daily Outrage: Tax dollars spin wheels on Reno bus sculpture | San Francisco Examiner (http://www.sfexaminer.com/opinion/Daily-Outrage-Tax-dollars-spin-wheels-on-Reno-bus-sculpture-103259269.html#ixzz11gbeI6ZI - broken link)

Old 10-07-2010, 09:16 AM

4,082 posts, read 5,044,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nea1 View Post
I am not sure all that 70% really believe, I think many are just going along with the norm. Hard for most Americans to stand out and think for themselves, look what happens when they do, they are not exactly welcomed with open arms.

I agree with that. Most just accept what they are taught as children and with the fear factor it is hard to go outside the box. Even if you are not brought up in Christianity it is all around you.

Stepping out of the box is freeing though and it lets you really look at the questions.

Old 10-07-2010, 09:16 AM

44 posts, read 33,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melvin.George View Post
LOL!

What the Christians won't tell you is that during a bloody civil war a group of religious zealots put enough pressure on the secretary of the treasury that he added In God We Trust to the coins.

In the 1950's when we were in a cold war with Russia and children were being drilled to crawl under their desks at school during a nuclear attack the McCarthyites succeeded in getting it added to the currency and also inserted "Under God" in our pledge of allegiance.

I'll guarantee you that our forebears had nothing for the bible and Christianity...they were deists. George Washington never went to a church of any kind and Thomas Paine despised Christianity and wrote multiple books about it. Thomas Jefferson wrote his own version of the bible ommitting virgin birth, miracles and resurrection...ol' Hey Zeus just died.
How come you save all of your wrath for Christians? Why aren't Jews ever attacked by atheists? Maybe this topic deserves it's own thread.

Old 10-07-2010, 09:22 AM

25,947 posts, read 24,756,050 times
Quote:
Just because 70% of the population believes in virgin birth, miracles and resurrection doesn't cut it any longer. Get your 10 commandments and manger scenes out of public places and go to church when you want to talk religion. I'll do you a favor...if I want to hear about the worship of ancient gods I'll go to a church, temple or mosque.
And the funny thing is, most Americans have no Semitic heritage whatsoever, still they dislike each other for the various competing Semitic religions and sects they adhere to

Old 10-07-2010, 09:25 AM

10,607 posts, read 11,661,785 times
Quote:
LOL!

What the Christians won't tell you is that during a bloody civil war a group of religious zealots put enough pressure on the secretary of the treasury that he added In God We Trust to the coins.

In the 1950's when we were in a cold war with Russia and children were being drilled to crawl under their desks at school during a nuclear attack the McCarthyites succeeded in getting it added to the currency and also inserted "Under God" in our pledge of allegiance.

I'll guarantee you that our forebears had nothing for the bible and Christianity...they were deists. George Washington never went to a church of any kind and Thomas Paine despised Christianity and wrote multiple books about it. Thomas Jefferson wrote his own version of the bible ommitting virgin birth, miracles and resurrection...ol' Hey Zeus just died.

Yeah, I was living during that era, I distinctly remember saying the Pledge of Allegiance without "Under God" in it and I remember "Duck and Cover" as an exercise in school, as if it would really do any good if an atomic bomb went off nearby, about the only thing you had time to do was to bend over and kiss your butt goodbye.....

Old 10-07-2010, 09:28 AM

27,232 posts, read 46,673,094 times
I actually think there should be less public display of religious symbolism and prayer. Take "In God We Trust" off the money. Take "under God" out of the pledge (does anyone say that anymore?). Religion is for private moments, not to be shared with large groups.

Old 10-07-2010, 09:29 AM

6,034 posts, read 10,686,766 times
Quote:
Just because 70% of the population believes in virgin birth, miracles and resurrection doesn't cut it any longer. Get your 10 commandments and manger scenes out of public places and go to church when you want to talk religion. I'll do you a favor...if I want to hear about the worship of ancient gods I'll go to a church, temple or mosque.
Ramen.

Now pass the meatballs!

Old 10-07-2010, 09:31 AM

16,294 posts, read 28,540,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Les View Post
Now...Lets look at this from a different angle....

MONEY is a DEMIGOD...and You use this DEMIGOD in your life....
Money is merely a tool of commerce, a convenient medium for barter. It is the superstitious fools that got god put on the the money.

To call it a demigod is absurd in it's silliness.

Old 10-07-2010, 10:00 AM

3,336 posts, read 6,946,082 times
to the OP - it will happen, just give it time. developed, scientific nations tend away from religion, we are no exception. no use getting a hernia about it now.

Old 10-07-2010, 10:01 AM

27,232 posts, read 46,673,094 times
^There are people that worship it...or whatever other demonstration of wealth. Some worship power over others.

It's a sort of god in that respect.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality