Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2010, 10:30 AM

16,431 posts, read 22,189,163 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by progmac View Post
make an excel spreadsheet and correlate percentage of individuals holding strong religious beliefs with number of murders in a country. that alone should be enough to show that secular humanism is the better alternative. where Christianity can work an individual level to help people better themselves, it simply does not work at a larger (eg state) scale.
What were Pol Pot's strong religious beliefs? Hitler's? Stalin's? Mao's? I believe they could be called secular humanists.

Old 10-18-2010, 10:39 AM

2,595 posts, read 4,438,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melvin.George View Post
Just because 70% of the population believes in virgin birth, miracles and resurrection doesn't cut it any longer. Get your 10 commandments and manger scenes out of public places and go to church when you want to talk religion. I'll do you a favor...if I want to hear about the worship of ancient gods I'll go to a church, temple or mosque.
Freedom of Speach extends to public places. So, if you dislike anything religious, stay at home!

Old 10-18-2010, 11:06 AM

7,074 posts, read 12,338,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikk View Post
Freedom of Speach extends to public places. So, if you dislike anything religious, stay at home!
The same advice could be said to the overtly religious.

Old 10-18-2010, 11:59 AM

33,521 posts, read 37,121,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
You miss the point . . . Sanspeur laid claim to evidence "invalidating" the existence of God. There is no such evidence and I called him on it.
I did no such thing...I merely quoted the definition of the word delusion. I know as well as you do that there can be no evidence to invalidate that which is imaginary.

Old 10-18-2010, 12:05 PM

33,521 posts, read 37,121,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bideshi View Post
What were Pol Pot's strong religious beliefs? Hitler's? Stalin's? Mao's? I believe they could be called secular humanists.
I think you need to find yourself a dictionary. For one thing Hitler was a Christian, and none of them could possibly be described as 'Humanist"

Humanism is a stance that upholds human reason, ethics, and justice, and rejects supernaturalism, pseudoscience, and superstition. ...

Last edited by sanspeur; 10-18-2010 at 12:37 PM..

Old 10-18-2010, 12:31 PM

16,155 posts, read 12,850,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bideshi View Post
What were Pol Pot's strong religious beliefs?
Theravada Buddhist

Quote:
Hitler's?
Christian.

Quote:
Stalin's?
No religious beliefs

Quote:
Mao's?
No religious beliefs

Your point is....??

Old 10-18-2010, 02:27 PM

360 posts, read 444,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafius View Post
Christian.
It's worth pointing out that Hitler was definitely not a Christian. He might've considered himself Christian, but actions speak louder than words, and his actions showed him not only to be at least somewhat insane but to also be a very hateful, non-Christian man.

Old 10-18-2010, 02:51 PM

4,904 posts, read 6,013,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikk View Post
Interesting how this logic doesn't extend to atheism. Case in point, there was a big hysteria about the atheist placard in Olympia. What you really want is for everyone to agree with you.

Old 10-18-2010, 08:18 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,518,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioanKid View Post
It's worth pointing out that Hitler was definitely not a Christian. He might've considered himself Christian, but actions speak louder than words, and his actions showed him not only to be at least somewhat insane but to also be a very hateful, non-Christian man.

And that differs from many today who claim they are christian exactly how?

But some key points from Hitler's younger days.
  • he attended a monastery school.
  • Hitler was a communicant and an altar boy in the Catholic Church.
  • As a young man he was confirmed as a “soldier of Christ.”
  • His most ardent goal at the time was to become a priest.
  • he began enacting doctrines of the Church as law.
  • He outlawed all abortion, raged a death war on all homosexuals.
The last two seem to have a common ring to the wishes of many fundamentalists christians today.

Quote:
My feelings as a Christian points me to my Lord and Savior as a fighter. It points me to the man who once in loneliness, surrounded by a few followers, recognized these Jews for what they were and summoned men to fight against them and who, God’s truth!
Adolf Hitler - April 12, 1922
Many more references to his christian beliefs in Mein Kampf

Old 10-18-2010, 09:47 PM

16,431 posts, read 22,189,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
Many more references to his christian beliefs in Mein Kampf
By WW2 he had embraced pagan occult beliefs; Odin, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality