Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2010, 11:14 PM

11,798 posts, read 25,194,708 times

Advertisements

Since I only get one life, I'm not going to waste it picking one of the multitude of religions/beliefs and trying to follow it in the belief that it is the correct choice.

Old 10-17-2010, 11:25 PM

33,558 posts, read 37,155,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bideshi View Post
So, this is the new atheistic tactic: equate belief in God with delusion. You will answer on Judgement Day for your mocking. You will be held accountable for every idle word.
de·lu·sion: A false belief strongly held in spite of invalidating evidence.

Old 10-17-2010, 11:31 PM

1,054 posts, read 1,793,511 times
yes there is a god, it's name is money.
And the Federal Reserve is its Mt. Olympus

Old 10-18-2010, 08:22 AM

63,834 posts, read 40,118,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
de·lu·sion: A false belief strongly held in spite of invalidating evidence.
The bold is the missing ingredient in your indictment of believers, Sans . . . what will it take to break through your arrogant facade of knowledge? What exactly is this "invalidating evidence" you speak of?

Old 10-18-2010, 09:12 AM

465 posts, read 528,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
The bold is the missing ingredient in your indictment of believers, Sans . . . what will it take to break through your arrogant facade of knowledge? What exactly is this "invalidating evidence" you speak of?
It's very simple. If you make a claim, provide the proper evidence to back it up.

Why is this a hard concept to understand? You do it for everything else.

You tell me you flew in a spaceship to work this morning...prove it! show me!

You tell me you just won the lottery...prove it! show me!

You tell me you just had dinner with big foot and he paid...prove it! show me!

You believe god causes earthquakes and talks to you...prove it! show me!

If you can't prove it to people because it's only unique to you, then don't get upset when people don't believe you because people really don't need to believe anything anyone says, just because they said it or a book said it.

Religious people act like their belief is the only thing that people ask proof for and it's not. You use it everyday, but you give your own belief a free pass

And then to call it bad or stupid for people to actually want some evidence in order to believe something is truly ignorant.

Old 10-18-2010, 10:00 AM

63,834 posts, read 40,118,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by detmi7mile View Post
It's very simple. If you make a claim, provide the proper evidence to back it up.

Why is this a hard concept to understand? You do it for everything else.

You tell me you flew in a spaceship to work this morning...prove it! show me!

You tell me you just won the lottery...prove it! show me!

You tell me you just had dinner with big foot and he paid...prove it! show me!

You believe god causes earthquakes and talks to you...prove it! show me!

If you can't prove it to people because it's only unique to you, then don't get upset when people don't believe you because people really don't need to believe anything anyone says, just because they said it or a book said it.

Religious people act like their belief is the only thing that people ask proof for and it's not. You use it everyday, but you give your own belief a free pass

And then to call it bad or stupid for people to actually want some evidence in order to believe something is truly ignorant.
You miss the point . . . Sanspeur laid claim to evidence "invalidating" the existence of God. There is no such evidence and I called him on it.

Old 10-18-2010, 10:04 AM

16,678 posts, read 15,684,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GldnRule View Post
The core message passed down in the legend of the man known as Jesus the Christ was, "Love each other". THAT'S supposed to be the foundation of Christian concept...from what I can see.

The people ptsum refers to were/are the ultimate antithesis of that. The "operative word" in his post being "so-called". They didn't/don't have a clue how to embrace that legendary message...they did/do exactly otherwise...they hurt and hate(d)...they were/are mean, and cruel, and selfish, and evil. Good Christians?...Yeah, rrrrrrrrright...just the opposite! Then they wonder why so many are "turned off" by Christianity.
Are these the same people that some say founded a Christian nation? Obviously, they didn't. As early as 1797, when John Adams signed the Treaty of Tripoli, it was reiterated that the United States was NOT a Christian nation. No constitutional amendment has been passed to change that, so the 1st amendment is still the law of the land.

Old 10-18-2010, 10:12 AM

16,678 posts, read 15,684,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artwomyn View Post
Hey Fred314X

American leaders, have always consider America to be a Christian nation. That's why 'in god we trust', was printed on coins, many years ago. My point was, that based on all I've talked about in my previous post, that there's NO WAY, that American can be a Christian nation. And that's regardless of whether Christians consider America to be a Christian nation, or anyone else does.
Quoting from the US Treasury: "The motto IN GOD WE TRUST was placed on United States coins largely because of the increased religious sentiment existing during the Civil War." It had nothing to do with leaders considering the United States a Christian country.

Old 10-18-2010, 10:18 AM

1,296 posts, read 2,226,497 times
Mensaguy,

Despite the exact origins of the 'In God We Trust' statement on coins, many leaders throughout history, have (wrongfully) consider America to be a Christian nation. All I was trying to do, was point out that due to its past and present values, American has no business, trying to claim that it's a Christian Nation.

Old 10-18-2010, 10:23 AM

3,336 posts, read 6,946,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bideshi View Post
I can't even begin to express how much I disagree with that ridiculous claim. Secular humanism is a great ill. Godless materialism is a great ill. Belief in salvation through Jesus Christ is the only healing balm for any nation, or any individual.
make an excel spreadsheet and correlate percentage of individuals holding strong religious beliefs with number of murders in a country. that alone should be enough to show that secular humanism is the better alternative. where Christianity can work an individual level to help people better themselves, it simply does not work at a larger (eg state) scale.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality