Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-05-2007, 10:02 AM

218 posts, read 606,251 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by irishmom View Post
Oh boy MG here you are killing babies again, what are we gonna do with you!.

I don't think anyone ever thinks they will have an abortion. It's not on any little girl's list of things she wants to do when she grows up. But in certain instances they fall into a situation in which they feel they have no choice other than to terminate a pregnancy. Do I wish this was never the case, sure. Do I think it will ever be that no one ever does choose abortion...no of course not. It's not my place to judge what is and isn't a good reason to terminate a pregnancy. In my own situation my doctors wanted me to terminate my second pregnancy for fear of my own life being ended if I proceeded. I couldn't do it...thankfully here I am and so is my second son. But it could have gone very badly and I chose to take that risk, against my doctors and family. Not everyone is that stubborn or independant (although other than that and my occaisional temper tantrums I'm a really nice person ). I think that each woman has to decide what she can and can't handle and that the choice should always be there for legally for women.[/
Good post, Irishmom. Your last sentence is my position in a nutshell, whether rape, incest, saving your own life or what someone else called "social" abortion (I added the emphasis to the word 'choice'). All actions have consequences. One has to live with their actions and the decisions she makes. S-H-E makes. I, too, have volunteered at a clinic (pro-CHOICE) and never "encouraged" abortion; rather, I encouraged someone to consider their conscience because in the end, you're the one you have to live with.

Last edited by jeffncandace; 07-05-2007 at 10:29 AM.. Reason: fixed your quote

Old 07-05-2007, 10:09 AM

7,784 posts, read 14,886,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GASunshine View Post
Good post, Irishmom. Your last sentence is my position in a nutshell, whether rape, incest, saving your own life or what someone else called "social" abortion (I added the emphasis to the word 'choice'). All actions have consequences. One has to live with their actions and the decisions she makes. S-H-E makes. I, too, have volunteered at a clinic (pro-CHOICE) and never "encouraged" abortion; rather, I encouraged someone to consider their conscience because in the end, you're the one you have to live with.
I understand this position and have heard it echoed in similar posts in other threads. I wonder, though, where is the point where the point in which the decision of the mother affects the rights of another? When does the life insde her deserve to have an advocate? Is it after birth? Third trimester only? When is the life inside her worth fighting for like we'd fight for the defenseless in another country.

I'm not asking this question in an inflammatory way, I'd really like to hear any opinions on this matter.

Old 07-05-2007, 10:09 AM

13,926 posts, read 39,288,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoosier_guy View Post
What do you mean? I don't understand your post.
Cathlic hospitals says it is against Gods will so they refuse to give rape victoms the morning after pill. All over the news last week.

Old 07-05-2007, 10:14 AM

1,028 posts, read 2,338,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaGuy View Post
I'm reluctant to even bring up the subject of abortion because I know some of my religious friends on this forum feel strongly opposed to it. I'm hoping we can express ourselves on one particular aspect of the abortion issue and have a civil discussion. If people start insulting each other I'm going to PM a moderator and ask them to lock this thread. To those who oppose abortion, does this also include cases of incest, rape and also to save the life of the Mother? Personally I don't think a rape victim should be forced to carry the child of her attacker and I'd also include an incest victim. I believe it should be the woman's decision. I realize that opponents of abortion feel strongly about this issue but I'm not sure where they might stand on these rare exceptions. What is your opinion?
Basically, imo, if the woman had a choice to get pregnant, she shouldn't have the choice to get an abortion. It's a different perspective on "pro-choice," in that it in large part parallels pro-life views, but with different phraseology, but I think it's more consistent with my values.

Old 07-05-2007, 10:17 AM

1,028 posts, read 2,338,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpha8207 View Post
I understand this position and have heard it echoed in similar posts in other threads. I wonder, though, where is the point where the point in which the decision of the mother affects the rights of another? When does the life insde her deserve to have an advocate? Is it after birth? Third trimester only? When is the life inside her worth fighting for like we'd fight for the defenseless in another country.

I'm not asking this question in an inflammatory way, I'd really like to hear any opinions on this matter.

There are semester-long classes in law school focused on this single question -- when does life begin? There is no single answer. Some say conception, some say quickening, some say birth, some utilize a time-based basis, such as 3d trimester. IRRC, Roe permits state prohibitions of abortion in the 3d trimester, does it not?

Old 07-05-2007, 10:18 AM

13,926 posts, read 39,288,552 times
Women that are raped Do Not have a choice. And should be given the morning after pill. There is no baby so there is no abortion!!

Old 07-05-2007, 10:23 AM

1,587 posts, read 3,910,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie1 View Post
Women that are raped Do Not have a choice. And should be given the morning after pill. There is no baby so there is no abortion!!
There is a baby there! If you do nothing what happens? A giraffe is born? A hippo? No, it's a baby!

Old 07-05-2007, 10:24 AM

8,882 posts, read 19,850,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kabluey View Post
There are semester-long classes in law school focused on this single question -- when does life begin? There is no single answer. Some say conception, some say quickening, some say birth, some utilize a time-based basis, such as 3d trimester. IRRC, Roe permits state prohibitions of abortion in the 3d trimester, does it not?
Correct, although that could change over time. Right now, third trimester is considered "viable" and thereby the unborn child is protected under the law.

There is also the Unborn Victims of Violence Act which treats unborn children with the same rights as the "mother" victim.

In the case of rape, the resulting child is almost as much a victim as the mother, so why do they receive the death penalty?

Old 07-05-2007, 10:26 AM

8,672 posts, read 22,267,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie1 View Post
There does seem to be some question as to whether the so - called "morning after" pill acts in an abortifacient way. Does it prevent ovulation or can it also prevent the implantation of a fertilized egg?

And Alpha, to answer your question, I don't think anyone reading this thread would have any doubt where I would come down on that issue. But just to be clear, my position is that life begins at conception i.e. when the egg is fertilized. From this point on, I think it is a human life that deserves advocacy.

Old 07-05-2007, 10:56 AM

7,784 posts, read 14,886,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kabluey View Post
I'm asking for opinions. I know they differ. But I wanted to know where the folks on this forum draw the life line.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality