Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2010, 07:23 PM

6,222 posts, read 4,014,117 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by samston View Post
I am 31. I want the normal life knowledge that everybody else has.
what type of knowledge do you have now?

Old 12-06-2010, 09:04 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,540,763 times
Quote:
I am 31. I want the normal life knowledge that everybody else has.
A great deal of the knowledge you accumulate at any point in your life is what have you attempted, your successes and more importantly the failures cause that is where the true learning occurs.

It is not book learning, but experience.

Old 12-07-2010, 02:57 AM

23,175 posts, read 26,211,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nimchimpsky View Post
Knowledge of life requires two things IMO:

1) Experience
2) Reflection

Experience doesn't necessarily always correlate with time. Some people "live more" in a shorter period of time whereas other people live a long time doing the same thing. Then it also requires reflecting on one's experiences and learning from them so we don't just end up making the same mistakes over and over again and ending back up at square one. And everyone matures at a different rate and more in certain areas and less in other areas.
Ans since the OP has had threads shut down for asking this very same question in various forums, it's obvious some do not learn by experience.

Old 12-07-2010, 05:30 AM

2,958 posts, read 2,561,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
Ans since the OP has had threads shut down for asking this very same question in various forums, it's obvious some do not learn by experience.
Having a post deleted or being banned at City doesn't necessarily add value or information to one's education...in my opinion.

Old 12-07-2010, 05:57 AM

23,175 posts, read 26,211,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melvin.George View Post
Having a post deleted or being banned at City doesn't necessarily add value or information to one's education...in my opinion.
Agreed......but obviously neither has he learned anything from all the replies he has gotten from all those threads........virtually the same responses as in this one.
Maybe he's waiting for someone to give him the name of a magic pill

Old 12-07-2010, 06:06 AM

523 posts, read 3,806,021 times
rather than telling everyone what you want in totally vague terms, why dont you be specific?

noone here knows what you know and what you dont know - clearly you feel you are deficient in certain areas of knowledge (otherwise you would not have started this thread)- why dont you give some specific examples of areas in which you believe your knowledge is deficient?

also, what leads you to believe your knowledge in these areas is below par? have you been institutionalised, or otherwise missed out on important educational periods?

Old 12-07-2010, 07:24 AM

2,958 posts, read 2,561,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kronenborg View Post
have you been institutionalised?
I think it's called neutered.

Old 12-07-2010, 08:43 AM

2,827 posts, read 4,343,549 times
Quote:
how does one get the normal knowledge of life? is it gained by default?
Since this is a Religion and Philosophy forum, let me approach it from that point of view.

The default in mankind seems to be belief. The vast majority of the population seems to hold fast to their beliefs and their faith, especially to their God, regardless of what history has shown to counter such ideas. Although it has been shown that the world is not the center of the universe and science has answered many other previously unanswerable questions, many people still default back to a belief system when they are confronted with difficult situations and problems in their lives which seem to have few if any answers. Belief requires no knowledge, only acceptance, and is a very convenient way to calm our anxieties when we are at a loss and just do not know what to do.

Knowledge, on the other hand, requires an awareness through our senses when we become actively engaged in searching for answers to problems. To acquire knowledge we must use our intellectual abilities in order to make rational judgments. This is not easy and can require much time and work. It is opposite to belief which presents answers based on unquestionable doctrines that have been mysteriously handed down from the past and need only to be accepted.

So as you seek out your answers to life's questions, keep these distinctions in mind when you find yourself in need of sorting things out. I know this may sound simplistic, but if you have any questions I'll be around.

Old 12-07-2010, 09:33 AM

6,034 posts, read 10,686,766 times
Quote:
is it gained by default?
By...living.

Old 12-07-2010, 11:19 AM

4,379 posts, read 5,386,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
A great deal of the knowledge you accumulate at any point in your life is what have you attempted, your successes and more importantly the failures cause that is where the true learning occurs.

It is not book learning, but experience.
what "experience" do you have that led to it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.